The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Diagnosis

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community New Diagnosis

Participant

Hi there,

It's my first time posting here. I am 28 y/o female living in Boston, MA, and I just got a diagnosis of Melanoma stage 1A from a mole biopsied on my calf. Oddly my dermatologist thought it looked fine, but I pushed for her to biopsy it anyway. I know a lot of people here have have more advanced Melanoma, but nonethelness, I am very scared. I am scheduled for excision in two weeks. From reading here, I know I will have to monitor my body and my lymph nodes for the rest of my life, as the cancer may return at any point. I just wanted to share and say hello and leverage the strength of others here. Luckily I have a great boyfriend but my immediate family with the exception of my brother is just garbage. At times I can feel very alone in this, but I'm trying to stay positive! It feels very weird to say I have cancer.

One day at a time,

-Laura

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        iskitwo
        Participant

Sounds like you are on top of things and good for you for pushing for what you thought you needed. You know your body best! Wishing you the best for quick healing!

Hi Laura,

Hopefully this is just a small bump in the road.  Boston is a great place for cancer.  We've got cutting edge care at our fingertips.  I'm about 30 miles outside of the city so I consider myself "from Boston".  Melanoma can be very isolating but you have us and we are right here with you.  Wishing you good thoughts with the excision.

Jennifer

BethL
          Participant

Hi Laura –

Sorry about your diagnosis. It is a difficult thing to face – but – you have come to the right place.  So much knowledge here and compassion. It helps more than you know. Like having a really big, really smart family!

I'm also in boston, so many resources, great doctors, great care. Rest assured you will get the help you need to beat this!

I'm a year into this, stage 3A and NED. and 3 more months of immunotherapy left.  so feel really grateful for the support and education here.  

If there is anything I can do to help, feel free to reach out.

Hang in there- you are on the right path!

BethL

laurakoco
              Participant

Hi Beth,

Thanks for your response. I am considering now to transfer my care to Dana Farber. Do you have any recommendations of other doctors or places that specialize in Melanoma?

-Laura

BethL
                Participant

Hi Laura- I am being treated at Dana Farber by Dr Hodi and his staff. The care team there is great, caring,efficient. You can call the Melanoma Team at Dana and they can give you transfer info.  Was a very easy process. Call the department -here is the number: 617-632-5055.

If you want to send me a private email I am happy to give you my phone # and we can talk.

take care-BethL

DZnDef
                Participant

Hi Laura,

Sorry about your diagnosis but glad you caught it early.  As far as monitoring for it going forward, it might be getting easier soon.  They have been working on developing blood tests that can detect it before any tumors show up.  Very handy for anyone that has been diagnosed before and is concerned about a recurrence.  I am currently participating in a trial for one of the blood tests.  The earlier we can detect it, the better the odds we can get rid of it.  Hopefully, you've already gotten rid of yours but an occassional blood test would be good for peace of mind.  Hopefully they'll get a good one approved soon.

Cheers!

Maggie

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics