The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Diagnosis

Forums General Melanoma Community New Diagnosis

Participant

I had a squamous cell taken off my leg earlier this year. I went back in last week for a six-month recheck and pointed out a pink spot on my arm. The dermatologist said it looked like a basal cell so she biopsied it. She called Friday to tell me it's an amelanotic melanoma. Stage 1 and 0.5 mm on Breslow scale. She's sending the biopsied skin in for a DecisionDX gene testing. While I know it's an early stage, and she doesn't recommend lymph node testing, I'm pretty much freaking out and my anxiety is increasing greatly over the weekend. The WLE is set for October 17. Here looking for support and guidance. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ldub
        Participant

This may sound weird, but congratulations to you for advocating for yourself and finding your amelanotic melanoma at an early stage.  Melanoma is a terrifying discovery, but you are so lucky that you found it when you did!  It sounds like you will probably *just* have a WLE and that will most likely be the end of your melanoma journey, statistically speaking.  I know many on this board who have had early stage and  amelanotic melanoma will probably weigh in on this, but for me, the first months after diagnosis were the most difficult.  As time goes on, your initial fears should subside, but remain diligent with your check ups and self-checks and the odds will be in your favor.  Good luck with your WLE!

ldub
          Participant

This may sound weird, but congratulations to you for advocating for yourself and finding your amelanotic melanoma at an early stage.  Melanoma is a terrifying discovery, but you are so lucky that you found it when you did!  It sounds like you will probably *just* have a WLE and that will most likely be the end of your melanoma journey, statistically speaking.  I know many on this board who have had early stage and  amelanotic melanoma will probably weigh in on this, but for me, the first months after diagnosis were the most difficult.  As time goes on, your initial fears should subside, but remain diligent with your check ups and self-checks and the odds will be in your favor.  Good luck with your WLE!

ldub
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics