The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NEW! Clinical Trial Finder!

Forums General Melanoma Community NEW! Clinical Trial Finder!

Participant

Momrn5 just posted this link to what she correctly refered to as the "Melanoma Therapy Finder". 

You can access it at  http://therapy.collabrx.com/melanoma or, even better, at Mom's original MedPageToday link. 

Indeed, this online tool can help you find various treatment options for melanoma, the manufacturer and whether or not it is FDA approved. Thanks, Momrn5! Great catch!

But what's even better (and the reason I am posting this again here) is that it is also an interactive clinical trial finder! You can enter your melanoma stage, location of mets and your GENE MUTATIONS and it will present you with a list of possible clinical trials. If you choose BRAF mutation, it will also ask you if you have already taken a BRAF inhibitor and then present you only with clinical trials for those who had BRAF inhibitors. If you are presented with a long list, you can click on the name of the study drug (like MEK162, for example) and it will sort the list to show all the MEK162 trials as a group.

This is exactly what I was suggesting in a post last week suggesting that we lobby for a better clinical trial finder than clinicaltrials.gov.  

Thank you to Drs. David Fisher and Keith Flaherty and their team for creating this wonderful tool and to Momrn5 for bringing it to our attention. I strongly suggest that MIF add a link to this site on their "Resources" page.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        kylez
        Participant

The MRF  link is here: http://www.melanoma.org/understand-melanoma/melanoma-treatment/clinical-trials (green button).

I tried this service ago when I was adjuvant. I was impressed — they found a CDK4/CDK6 trial I had a good chance of qualifying for. My oncologist and I ultimately decided against it.

Not sure why MIF is does not encourage the use of clinical trial finder services like this. I do get the impression that this service (by EmergingMed) gets incentivized to make successful matches. Which I'm sure is as it should be.

I was impressed by how fine-grained they were and their lack of false hits. They found about 6 for me, which, with an adjuvant diagnosis at that time, were not easy finds.

Cooper
            Participant

Emerging Med is paid by Pharma to locate.match trials for all cancers.  I heard MIF doesn't feel it is as useful as their personalized service for melanoma only.  I found some mistakes when I tried the Collabrx one, so beware of that.   MIF helped me find the exact trial that fit my situation, it is far more difficult than you realize at first unless you really know melanoma.

Momrn5
              Participant

Any service like this is a plus for people such as myself who are new to the diagnosis.  I would also use other avenues  to find services, but this Trial Finder is makes it a little easier to wade through many of the trials that are out there now for melanoma.  I think it is helpful.  Possibly not completely accurate as you have stated, but I do read that things are moving so fast in Melanoma treatment and trials, that even the doctors can't keep up. So, this is just another tool to put in the toolbox. 

POW
                Participant

I agree with you completely, Momrn5. The "Treatment Finder" may not be perfect, but it is extremely helpful, especially because they filter the results based on your gene mutation status. Even Clinicaltrials.gov (which is definitely not supported by pharmaceutical companies) is not perfect– they admit that they have trouble keeping their site up to date.

I hope that anyone interested in clinical trials would explore several avenues of information starting with their oncologist. The MIF Helpline is another great resource (see: http://melanomainternational.org/web-resources/clinical-trials/#.Uu74ACjiowE ) . Plus clincialtrials.gov and, of course, right here on MPIP. 

While none of them may be perfect, as a group I think they will cover all the bases. 

Cooper
                  Participant

I agree you need to check out different sources for trials.  I also saw that MIF gives scholarships for travel and lodging to help with the burden.  http://melanomainternational.org/who-we-are/patient-access-grants-apply/

Cooper
                    Participant

I agree you need to check out different sources for trials.  I also saw that MIF gives scholarships for travel and lodging to help with the burden.  http://melanomainternational.org/who-we-are/patient-access-grants-apply/

Cooper
                      Participant

POW
                        Participant

I agree with you completely, Momrn5. The "Treatment Finder" may not be perfect, but it is extremely helpful, especially because they filter the results based on your gene mutation status. Even Clinicaltrials.gov (which is definitely not supported by pharmaceutical companies) is not perfect– they admit that they have trouble keeping their site up to date.

I hope that anyone interested in clinical trials would explore several avenues of information starting with their oncologist. The MIF Helpline is another great resource (see: http://melanomainternational.org/web-resources/clinical-trials/#.Uu74ACjiowE ) . Plus clincialtrials.gov and, of course, right here on MPIP. 

While none of them may be perfect, as a group I think they will cover all the bases. 

POW
                          Participant

Momrn5
                            Participant

Any service like this is a plus for people such as myself who are new to the diagnosis.  I would also use other avenues  to find services, but this Trial Finder is makes it a little easier to wade through many of the trials that are out there now for melanoma.  I think it is helpful.  Possibly not completely accurate as you have stated, but I do read that things are moving so fast in Melanoma treatment and trials, that even the doctors can't keep up. So, this is just another tool to put in the toolbox. 

Momrn5
                              Participant

Cooper
                                Participant

Emerging Med is paid by Pharma to locate.match trials for all cancers.  I heard MIF doesn't feel it is as useful as their personalized service for melanoma only.  I found some mistakes when I tried the Collabrx one, so beware of that.   MIF helped me find the exact trial that fit my situation, it is far more difficult than you realize at first unless you really know melanoma.

Cooper
                                  Participant

kylez
                                  Participant

The MRF  link is here: http://www.melanoma.org/understand-melanoma/melanoma-treatment/clinical-trials (green button).

I tried this service ago when I was adjuvant. I was impressed — they found a CDK4/CDK6 trial I had a good chance of qualifying for. My oncologist and I ultimately decided against it.

Not sure why MIF is does not encourage the use of clinical trial finder services like this. I do get the impression that this service (by EmergingMed) gets incentivized to make successful matches. Which I'm sure is as it should be.

I was impressed by how fine-grained they were and their lack of false hits. They found about 6 for me, which, with an adjuvant diagnosis at that time, were not easy finds.

kylez
                                    Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics