The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Choroidal Melanoma Patient

Forums General Melanoma Community New Choroidal Melanoma Patient

Participant

I was at work friday and I noticed my vision was very limited in my right eye. I went to an ER and an Optimologist was called in, he did what seemed like an ultra sound on my eye and found a tumor, he then informed me that it was Cancer. Since then it seems like a nightmare. Anyway my name is Tom, Im a 49 year old single widowed father of a great 15 year old boy who needs me. We live in louisiana and love LSU and the Saints. Im also a recovered alcoholic and drug addict , Ive been clean and sober since 2003. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated

I was at work friday and I noticed my vision was very limited in my right eye. I went to an ER and an Optimologist was called in, he did what seemed like an ultra sound on my eye and found a tumor, he then informed me that it was Cancer. Since then it seems like a nightmare. Anyway my name is Tom, Im a 49 year old single widowed father of a great 15 year old boy who needs me. We live in louisiana and love LSU and the Saints. Im also a recovered alcoholic and drug addict , Ive been clean and sober since 2003. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Wow, what a whirlwind.  The vast majority of people who post on this BB have cutaneous melanoma (skin).  There is a new ocular melanoma forum which you should post on at:  http://www.melanoma.org/community/cure-om-forum.  Since ocular melanomas are quite different than cutaneous, you'll probably get more pertinent info there.

Best wishes,

Janner

TomJ6299
            Participant

Thank you Janner, but your link is not bringing me to a working page, so for now I am here

Janner
              Participant

Strange, not sure why the link wouldn't work correctly.  But if you go to the top of the page and click on Community, then you can scroll down to Other Forums and then click on the Cure OM Forum.  This is the ocular melanoma forum and the BB is up – just not sure why I couldn't link to it directly.

Janner

Janner
                Participant

Strange, not sure why the link wouldn't work correctly.  But if you go to the top of the page and click on Community, then you can scroll down to Other Forums and then click on the Cure OM Forum.  This is the ocular melanoma forum and the BB is up – just not sure why I couldn't link to it directly.

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Janner

WendyPam
                    Participant

Hi Tom,

My Mother has Stage 4 Mucosal Melanoma another very rare type. Please vist another wonderful forum that I visit everyday to read and post on, Melanoma International Foundation. When you go to that website please go to the webinar button on the top in blue. You need to watch the webinar on,

CURRENT TREATMENTS FOR MELANOMA OF THE EYE
                      Presented by Richard Carvajal, MD

This is a new webinar and I hope that it gives you some type of direction.  Someone will help you find the best Dr for your care. Please don't hesitate to post lots of questions.

All the best to you and a very happy holiday with your son!

Warm regards,

Wendy

WendyPam
                      Participant

Hi Tom,

My Mother has Stage 4 Mucosal Melanoma another very rare type. Please vist another wonderful forum that I visit everyday to read and post on, Melanoma International Foundation. When you go to that website please go to the webinar button on the top in blue. You need to watch the webinar on,

This is a new webinar and I hope that it gives you some type of direction.  Someone will help you find the best Dr for your care. Please don't hesitate to post lots of questions.

Warm regards,

Wendy

WendyPam
                        Participant

Hi Tom,

Warm regards,

Wendy

TomJ6299
                          Participant

Thanks ! Same to You!

WendyPam
                            Participant

Hi Tom,

I sent you a private e-mail. I hope that you received it ,

Regards,
                              Wendy

WendyPam
                              Participant

Hi Tom,

Regards,
                                Wendy

WendyPam
                                Participant

Hi Tom,

Regards,
                                  Wendy

TomJ6299
                                  Participant

Thanks ! Same to You!

TomJ6299
                                    Participant

Thanks ! Same to You!

TomJ6299
                                      Participant

Thank you Janner, but your link is not bringing me to a working page, so for now I am here

TomJ6299
                                        Participant

Janner
                                        Participant

Wow, what a whirlwind.  The vast majority of people who post on this BB have cutaneous melanoma (skin).  There is a new ocular melanoma forum which you should post on at:  http://www.melanoma.org/community/cure-om-forum.  Since ocular melanomas are quite different than cutaneous, you'll probably get more pertinent info there.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                          Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

SuzannefromCA
                                            Participant

Hi Tom,

I am an ocular cancer survivor and my journey began in 2003. My tumor was on the front of my eye, the conjunctival tissue. I heard this accounts for 2% of ocular mel cases. My story is long, but I just wanted to suggest Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia. I live in California and fly there 3 times a year. I just recently had my eye and lid removed because of continued local recurrence.

They have an incredible group of doctors there. Never give up hope. I am 5 years NED!

~Suzanne

TomJ6299
                                                Participant

Hi suzanne, My right eye was removed at Wills Eye on 12/22, I had to make a difficult decision, my tumor was medium to large (10mm) my vision was terrible in that eye. So I decided to remove it. I guess I'm doing alright, had an MRI, liver was clear, chest X-Ray turned up a nodule, had CAT scan  this morning. Waiting on results now. I am researching as much as possible, Shields seems to be satisfied with Chest and MRI, 1x and 2x a year, Im not satisfied with that. Im working on setting up full body testing, I'm too lazy to go into details, lol, but the brain, bone, liver, lungs, skin will all be looked at very closely, by the latest and best imaging machines possible, I wont rest until I get my way. thanks for your support

SuzannefromCA
                                                  Participant

Hi Tom,

That was a fast decision to have your eye removed. Very courageous! You do have a regular oncologist I hope to order all the necessary scans, especially if you have a nodule on your lung. I hope you are adapting to the loss of your eye. For me it wasn't really a big issue since I had almost no vision in the eye anyway. I found a website called Losteye.com just before I lost mine. Please keep us posted as to how things are going.

Warm regards,

Suzanne

SuzannefromCA
                                                    Participant

Hi Tom,

That was a fast decision to have your eye removed. Very courageous! You do have a regular oncologist I hope to order all the necessary scans, especially if you have a nodule on your lung. I hope you are adapting to the loss of your eye. For me it wasn't really a big issue since I had almost no vision in the eye anyway. I found a website called Losteye.com just before I lost mine. Please keep us posted as to how things are going.

Warm regards,

Suzanne

SuzannefromCA
                                                      Participant

Hi Tom,

Warm regards,

Suzanne

TomJ6299
                                                        Participant

Hi suzanne, My right eye was removed at Wills Eye on 12/22, I had to make a difficult decision, my tumor was medium to large (10mm) my vision was terrible in that eye. So I decided to remove it. I guess I'm doing alright, had an MRI, liver was clear, chest X-Ray turned up a nodule, had CAT scan  this morning. Waiting on results now. I am researching as much as possible, Shields seems to be satisfied with Chest and MRI, 1x and 2x a year, Im not satisfied with that. Im working on setting up full body testing, I'm too lazy to go into details, lol, but the brain, bone, liver, lungs, skin will all be looked at very closely, by the latest and best imaging machines possible, I wont rest until I get my way. thanks for your support

TomJ6299
                                                          Participant

SuzannefromCA
                                                          Participant

Hi Tom,

I am an ocular cancer survivor and my journey began in 2003. My tumor was on the front of my eye, the conjunctival tissue. I heard this accounts for 2% of ocular mel cases. My story is long, but I just wanted to suggest Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia. I live in California and fly there 3 times a year. I just recently had my eye and lid removed because of continued local recurrence.

They have an incredible group of doctors there. Never give up hope. I am 5 years NED!

~Suzanne

SuzannefromCA
                                                            Participant

Hi Tom,

~Suzanne

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics