The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New and scared

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community New and scared

Participant

Hi. I had a small itchy mole removed last week via scrape biopsy. To my doctor, and my, surprise it came back melanoma. Now a week later I am scheduled for a wide excision of the area and a sentinel node biopsy scheduled for this Friday. Three months ago I lost a friend to Melanoma, she did not get scans yearly as she was supposed to, and I am scared to death. My path report so far only says a Clark’s of at least IV and a depth of at least 1.0. The scrape did not grab a clean margin I suppose? My surgeon, on consult, did not seem very concerned and he was basically telling me that I should try to settle myself a little. He did a quick check of axillary and inguinal nodes and didn’t say much. So, now everywhere he checked I feel like it’s bumpy and swollen and painful….I think my mind is playing tricks. Has anyone else had the feeling they are going crazy because They assume that the cancer is everywhere? 

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        guynamedbilly
        Participant

Absolutely, for the first two months or so every pain I had whether a headache or sore joint I wondered if it was cancer.  You'll really have to wait until the excision to determine how good the prognosis will be, but as hard as it seems now, you should just try to keep living as normally as you can until then and try not to worry.  There's plenty of people that have a melanoma removed and never have to deal with it again.

Tset
            Participant

I too have been the same way. When I was first told I had a melanoma in situ 3 and a half years ago I felt every lump and bump. I would wonder if my pathologists were correct on my diagnosis of MIS or if it was wrong. After I got it removed and time went on that fear became less and less and I no longer worried too much. I always became a bit nervous around my 6 month skin checks with the dermatologist but everything was usually fine. However, about a month ago my derm removed a small freckle looking type mole off my scar and it came back as a recurrent Melanoma in situ.. Those feelings came back and was a bit worse for me than the first time. I started questioning previous path reports and lumps etc. Had my path reports re done by another dermopathologist and they all matched up so it did give me some reassurance. Had an ultrasound of my axilla where I felt lumps but they were normal size and looked normal. I’m thin so I guess I can feel more lumps. It did help ease my mind a bit. I felt like I was going crazy though. I know I’m lucky that this came back as in situ because it could’ve just as easily have come back invasive being those cells were obviously left behind for 3 and a half years. As the weeks have went by the feeling like I’m crazy and feeling every lump and bump is slowly getting better. I will feel much better once they cut this out of me again but I know it will always be in the back of my mind. I think that is a normal way to feel once you’ve been told you have Melanoma. Just try and stay positive. I will be sending up prayers for you. All the best… Tenisa

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics