The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New 1a diagnosis, upcoming wide excision

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community New 1a diagnosis, upcoming wide excision

Participant

Hello everyone,

i am having a wide excision on my left shoulder blade on Monday and was told I would be able to drive myself after the appointment. Do you think that is realistic, or should I try to get someone to take me? I will also be doing my own care with bandages, etc and was told I would probably have about 35 stitches. I just got my diagnosis 2 days ago and I am terrified. I’m looking at all my weird moles and I have already found 3 that I’m worried about. Did they do a skin check and remove additional moles at the time of your wide excision? 

‘Thank you,

Kristine

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jamie1960
        Participant

Although you will likely have only local anesthetic, surgery of any kind is a shock to the body, so be good to yourself and have some else drive.

Although my least WLE was three years ago, I will continue to see my dermatologist at 6 month intervals, and surgical oncologist at 6 month intervals (such that I am seeing someone every three months) until I hit the five year mark, at which time I will see only the dermatologist.

You will be fine; stay on it, cut often (and frequently too).

"Beating" cancer, of any kind, seems like a statement based in hubris; we can, however, stay ahead of it for the long haul with vigilance.

Kjos
            Participant

Thank you, I will try to find someone to drive me. I’m not good with medical stuff and am sure I will feel a little “fainty” after someone is slicing into me. I know this is probably just the beginning of this journey for me as much of my skin is pretty badly sun damaged. I plan to be vigilant on my follow up. I let my doctor convince me the mole was nothing to worry about for 3-4 years. I will be much more assertive going forward. Of course I’ve already identified 5 other moles that seem very suspicious. All of them look suspicious now! I wish they could just remove them all. Thanks again for your response.

MLD1973
              Participant

How are you doing, was thinking if you on Monday.  Hope all went well x

Kjos
                Participant

I wanted to let you know how it went. I know you have one of these coming up Mandy.  The worst part was the anticipation and the numbing shots. After that, it went by in a blur. My incision is about 6 inches long, which surprised me, but my mole was about the size of a dime so I guess they went a little wider. Today is my second day after and I am experiencing almost no pain. My cousin who is a nurse is coming by tonight to take off the compression bandage and get a first look at it. All and all, not nearly as bad as I was getting myself worked up for! 🙂

MLD1973
                  Participant

It’s great to hear from you.  I have been thinking about you, as I know we are in a similar situation.  So glad to hear you are doing well, take it easy and I wish you a speedy recovery x

Viewing 0 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics