The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Neutropenia/gum disease following radiation treatment for melanoma – long term side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Neutropenia/gum disease following radiation treatment for melanoma – long term side effects

Participant

I had radiation treatment in 2001 and again in 2005 for melanoma.  Both times during radiation treatment, I developed neutropenia which means that the bone marrow does not produce enough white blood cells (neutrophils) which can leave you open to infections and viruses etc and then my blood tests returned to normal after treatment

I had radiation treatment in 2001 and again in 2005 for melanoma.  Both times during radiation treatment, I developed neutropenia which means that the bone marrow does not produce enough white blood cells (neutrophils) which can leave you open to infections and viruses etc and then my blood tests returned to normal after treatment

I have recently been feeling unwell and the doctor suspects I may have cyclic neutropenia which is quite rare and in "laymans terms" neutropenia happens quite often.  No-one else in my family have this, and I wonder if it could have been triggered by the radiation treatment, viruses, bacterial infections.  I have problems with my teeth and gums for the past five years, they always feel sore and I feel tired quite often, like my body is always fighting something.  I also have lymphoedema but that is under control.

I was wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with cyclic neutropenia this long after cancer treatment, whether they have problems with their gums and are more susceptible to infections.

LOL.  Long term survivor 11 years NED

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        nicoli
        Participant

I am not familiar with what you are describing. I am just beginning scalp radiation and am told my only side effects should be skin reaction and mild to severe fatigue.

What area of your body was radiated?

Nicki, Stage 3b

Nicky
            Participant

Thanks for your reply.  I was radiated in 2001 in the right abdomen, groin and upper leg area as there was one groin lymph node with melanoma and some extracapsulary spread.  In 2005 on the left arm where I had a rare type of melanoma called a desmoplastic melanoma (grade 4).

Nicky
              Participant

Thanks for your reply.  I was radiated in 2001 in the right abdomen, groin and upper leg area as there was one groin lymph node with melanoma and some extracapsulary spread.  In 2005 on the left arm where I had a rare type of melanoma called a desmoplastic melanoma (grade 4).

nicoli
              Participant

I am not familiar with what you are describing. I am just beginning scalp radiation and am told my only side effects should be skin reaction and mild to severe fatigue.

What area of your body was radiated?

Nicki, Stage 3b

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics