The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Neuropathy Help Needed

Forums General Melanoma Community Neuropathy Help Needed

Participant

I finished bio-chemo 3 months ago and  have increased in tingling and some pain in the feet. Recently it has also got to my fingers and hands. It does cause problems with every day functions like walking, driving and typing.

The doctor has prescribed gabapentin. Started 3 weeks ago with 100mg 3xday. Now 300mg 3xday.

The Doc also referred me to a neurologist. Does anyone know what I might expect when I see the neurologist?

Not sure what they can do as far as tests and medication.

I finished bio-chemo 3 months ago and  have increased in tingling and some pain in the feet. Recently it has also got to my fingers and hands. It does cause problems with every day functions like walking, driving and typing.

The doctor has prescribed gabapentin. Started 3 weeks ago with 100mg 3xday. Now 300mg 3xday.

The Doc also referred me to a neurologist. Does anyone know what I might expect when I see the neurologist?

Not sure what they can do as far as tests and medication.

I was told by my melanoma oncologists the neuropathy could go away in about a year. But am hearing of people having the problem for years.

I'm dum on the subject…and would appreciate some help to understand.

Thanks,

Rocky

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Hi Rocky, sound similar to what happen to me after my lymph node dissection.  Tip of fingers went numb.  It lasted for about 3 months until the nerves healed.  Still do not have quite the same sensation in one finger but it's okay. 

As far as the neurologist goes my experience has been they usually just do wiggle this, wiggle that, follow my finger and check you reflexes.  Since you have had every battery of scan there is, I would doubt he'd order any.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

Hi Rocky, sound similar to what happen to me after my lymph node dissection.  Tip of fingers went numb.  It lasted for about 3 months until the nerves healed.  Still do not have quite the same sensation in one finger but it's okay. 

As far as the neurologist goes my experience has been they usually just do wiggle this, wiggle that, follow my finger and check you reflexes.  Since you have had every battery of scan there is, I would doubt he'd order any.

Mary

Stage 3

bcl
            Participant

Hi Rocky, the archived board has a fair amount of posts on neuropathy, maybe some of these will help. I hope you can get some relief.

Alpha Lipoic Acid

[ Replies ] [ Next Reply ] [ Help ]

Posted by StephanieFL at 12:07 on Mon, Aug 18, 2008    [Show other posts by StephanieFL]

In Reply to: neuropathy by Pema posted at 06:36 on Mon, Aug 18, 2008

Hi, there.

I had neuropathy in my feet as a result of living with diabetes for 22 years. I also felt "some" neuropathy after my LND in my leg (my dissection was in my groin).

In both cases, after having been prescribed Neurontin as well (which touched the pain but did not resolve it), I began taking 400 mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid twice a day (1/2 hour before breakfast and 1/2 hour before lunch).

I had neuropathy in my feet for MONTHS, and after several weeks on the alpha lipoic acid, I had so much relief, and now I've lived without neuropathy in my feet for over 6 years.

Also, after my surgery, I began taking the alpha lipoic acid immediately and the mild neuropathy I felt as soon as I woke up from surgery dissapated in less than two weeks.

Just my two cents.

Stephanie

Re: peripheral neuropathy

Posted by gailaj at 12:06 on Mon, Apr 03, 2006    [Show other posts by gailaj]

In Reply to: peripheral neuropathy by Dan Giese stage IV posted at 12:06 on Sun, Apr 02, 2006

My husband, who has an acute onset body-wide small fiber neuropathy and is quite an expert on the subject now, advises against that big a dosage of B-6. B-6 deficiency can cause neuropathy, as can deficiencies of many of the B vitamins, especially B-12, but the pyrodoxine form of B-6 has been known to in itself cause neuropathy in very high doses. While these dosages are usually above the 100 mg/day level, it's prudent not to go to that high level; fifty mg, which is still well above the USDA minimum, would be more advisable. What can be megadosed are B-1 and B-12, neither of which have shown toxicity at very high levels — the body will use what it needs and excrete the rest. For more information, one can look through either http://www.braintalk.org, especially the peripheral neuropathy and vitamin deficiency forums and http://www.neuro.wustl.edu.

Re: Very Good Post Thanks

Posted by Allen Carr at 12:20 on Mon, Nov 01, 2004    [Show other posts by Allen Carr]

In Reply to: Re: Very Good Post Thanks by W posted at 12:20 on Mon, Nov 01, 2004

Here are a couple of sites. Unfortunatly I had complained to my Oncologist before I started the chemo of having neuropathy in my feet and he never said anything about the chance that it might get worse. The first site is by a patient of another type of cancer that got neuropathy during treatment. I think that a lot of what he says will help especially # 5 found all of this at google using Chemotherapy+Neuropathy as a search criteria ————-Allen————–

http://prostate-help.org/caperneu.htm

http://www.alcase.org/education/symptoms_neuropathy.html

bcl
              Participant

Hi Rocky, the archived board has a fair amount of posts on neuropathy, maybe some of these will help. I hope you can get some relief.

Alpha Lipoic Acid

Posted by StephanieFL at 12:07 on Mon, Aug 18, 2008    [Show other posts by StephanieFL]

In Reply to: neuropathy by Pema posted at 06:36 on Mon, Aug 18, 2008

Hi, there.

I had neuropathy in my feet as a result of living with diabetes for 22 years. I also felt "some" neuropathy after my LND in my leg (my dissection was in my groin).

In both cases, after having been prescribed Neurontin as well (which touched the pain but did not resolve it), I began taking 400 mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid twice a day (1/2 hour before breakfast and 1/2 hour before lunch).

I had neuropathy in my feet for MONTHS, and after several weeks on the alpha lipoic acid, I had so much relief, and now I've lived without neuropathy in my feet for over 6 years.

Also, after my surgery, I began taking the alpha lipoic acid immediately and the mild neuropathy I felt as soon as I woke up from surgery dissapated in less than two weeks.

Just my two cents.

Stephanie

Re: peripheral neuropathy

Posted by gailaj at 12:06 on Mon, Apr 03, 2006    [Show other posts by gailaj]

In Reply to: peripheral neuropathy by Dan Giese stage IV posted at 12:06 on Sun, Apr 02, 2006

My husband, who has an acute onset body-wide small fiber neuropathy and is quite an expert on the subject now, advises against that big a dosage of B-6. B-6 deficiency can cause neuropathy, as can deficiencies of many of the B vitamins, especially B-12, but the pyrodoxine form of B-6 has been known to in itself cause neuropathy in very high doses. While these dosages are usually above the 100 mg/day level, it's prudent not to go to that high level; fifty mg, which is still well above the USDA minimum, would be more advisable. What can be megadosed are B-1 and B-12, neither of which have shown toxicity at very high levels — the body will use what it needs and excrete the rest. For more information, one can look through either http://www.braintalk.org, especially the peripheral neuropathy and vitamin deficiency forums and http://www.neuro.wustl.edu.

Re: Very Good Post Thanks

Posted by Allen Carr at 12:20 on Mon, Nov 01, 2004    [Show other posts by Allen Carr]

In Reply to: Re: Very Good Post Thanks by W posted at 12:20 on Mon, Nov 01, 2004

Here are a couple of sites. Unfortunatly I had complained to my Oncologist before I started the chemo of having neuropathy in my feet and he never said anything about the chance that it might get worse. The first site is by a patient of another type of cancer that got neuropathy during treatment. I think that a lot of what he says will help especially # 5 found all of this at google using Chemotherapy+Neuropathy as a search criteria ————-Allen————–

http://prostate-help.org/caperneu.htm

http://www.alcase.org/education/symptoms_neuropathy.html

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics