The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need some more info.

Forums General Melanoma Community Need some more info.

Participant
      Hi there, this is my first post but need some help. Two years ago I had wide excision of my left upper arm for 2 melanoma sites (in situ). My arm has been hurting and burning on occasion, but has increased lately. I was wondering if anyone else has had pain so far out from surgery? I should also mention, I’ve already had a new mole appear right on the incision taken off which was negative. Thanks for listening

Hi there, this is my first post but need some help. Two years ago I had wide excision of my left upper arm for 2 melanoma sites (in situ). My arm has been hurting and burning on occasion, but has increased lately. I was wondering if anyone else has had pain so far out from surgery? I should also mention, I’ve already had a new mole appear right on the incision taken off which was negative. Thanks for listening

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Josh
        Participant

Hey Holmes,

If it was me and I had insurance, I'd get a damn scan. Why the heck not? Yeah, there's radiation in the scan, but as someone who started out at stage 1 with a simple mole and very slowly progressed to stage IV, I'd say it's better to get a little radiation and know all is cool rather than letting something which might be there continue to grow. Chances are very good that it you get scanned and there's nothing there two years after your excision, then they'll never be anything.

Just my two cents. Best of luck!

Josh 

Josh
          Participant

Hey Holmes,

If it was me and I had insurance, I'd get a damn scan. Why the heck not? Yeah, there's radiation in the scan, but as someone who started out at stage 1 with a simple mole and very slowly progressed to stage IV, I'd say it's better to get a little radiation and know all is cool rather than letting something which might be there continue to grow. Chances are very good that it you get scanned and there's nothing there two years after your excision, then they'll never be anything.

Josh 

JC
              Participant

your profile says your initial stage was stage 3, but you started out at stage 1?

JC
                Participant

your profile says your initial stage was stage 3, but you started out at stage 1?

domingoss
                  Participant
                    Pardon the error, have no idea?? I did not even fill out a profile. The two that were removed were right next to each other and were insitu, I will have to take another look at the path report bc the more research I gain the more questions I have. I do remember the surgeon telling me that she almost was going to do lymph nodes just to be safe but pathology was not enough to do so. Again questions keep rising.
                    domingoss
                    Participant
                      Pardon the error, have no idea?? I did not even fill out a profile. The two that were removed were right next to each other and were insitu, I will have to take another look at the path report bc the more research I gain the more questions I have. I do remember the surgeon telling me that she almost was going to do lymph nodes just to be safe but pathology was not enough to do so. Again questions keep rising.
                      JC
                      Participant

i meant Josh's profile

Josh
                        Participant
                          Hey Anonymous,

What are you, the cancer police? You fact checking my profile? Listen, I’m stage 4 and a half, but I’ll fight your cancer ass right now. I hope you realize that I’m kidding 🙂 Seriously, I was stage 1 at my diagnosis (had a mole removed, and then a very minor surgery), and then the cancer didn’t come back for 8 years (in the same spot). And then 4 years ago, all the real exciting cancer stuff started. Just seemed simpler to skip the mole removal and 8 year gap, however, sleuth that you are, you shed light on my evil, devious plans 🙂 Gadzooks, foiled again!

Josh
                          Participant
                            Hey Anonymous,

What are you, the cancer police? You fact checking my profile? Listen, I’m stage 4 and a half, but I’ll fight your cancer ass right now. I hope you realize that I’m kidding 🙂 Seriously, I was stage 1 at my diagnosis (had a mole removed, and then a very minor surgery), and then the cancer didn’t come back for 8 years (in the same spot). And then 4 years ago, all the real exciting cancer stuff started. Just seemed simpler to skip the mole removal and 8 year gap, however, sleuth that you are, you shed light on my evil, devious plans 🙂 Gadzooks, foiled again!

Josh
                            Participant
                              Hey Anonymous,

JC
                              Participant

If you had an 8 year gap, then why are you saying if there's nothing there 2 years after excision then they'll never be anything?

JC
                                Participant

If you had an 8 year gap, then why are you saying if there's nothing there 2 years after excision then they'll never be anything?

JC
                                  Participant

Josh
                                    Participant
                                      Anonymous,

The doctors said that if my “mole with clear margins” didn’t come back within two years there was like a 97% chance that it wouldn’t come back at all. Thus, when I write “chances are very good…they’ll never be anything,” I’m referring to the extremely high percentage chance that if you have a small cancerous mole removed and the cancer doesn’t come back or spread in two years, numerically speaking there’s a very good chance it won’t. “Chances are very good” is the key phrase here. Perhaps you just overlooked it. Though, as you probably recall, I was the one who suggested getting a scan just in case. In other words, I’m trying to help this person to avoid my mistake. Could my advice be wrong? Absolutely, but we all know that any answer we get here is just one person’s (and perhaps their doctors’) opinions, and as long as those answers are given in the spirit of helping, that’s all we can hope for. Which brings me to the obvious question: what exactly are you trying to do here? Because it seems to me that you’re either a bully or an a__hole and are just hoping to find errors which have nothing to do with the question at hand. Is it really relevant to this particular question that my profile didn’t list every detail of my treatment while my answer did? Of course not. Are you genuinely confused that I said “chances are very good,” while my particular cancer still came back? Of course not. You’re just being a weirdo. So, perhaps you should remind yourself that we’re all trying to help each other here, so maybe knock off the passive-aggressive hostility. Or if you want to be your most dickish self, perhaps find a forum not populated with cancer patients. This a place for helping people.

domingoss
                                      Participant
                                        I appreciate any and all information and am educated enough to know that everyone’s stories are different. Thank you for the information. It has taken along time for me to post anywhere any questions regarding myself. But I don’t think this is for me, we should be supporting each other.
                                        domingoss
                                        Participant
                                          I appreciate any and all information and am educated enough to know that everyone’s stories are different. Thank you for the information. It has taken along time for me to post anywhere any questions regarding myself. But I don’t think this is for me, we should be supporting each other.
                                          domingoss
                                          Participant
                                            Josh
                                            Participant
                                              Hey Anonymous,

I just reread what I wrote and would like to apologize for it. I know we’re all under a lot of stress, and all we can do here is try to help each other as kindly and compassionately as possible. I wish you the best of luck with your health and with your loved ones health.

Josh

Josh
                                              Participant
                                                Hey Anonymous,

I just reread what I wrote and would like to apologize for it. I know we’re all under a lot of stress, and all we can do here is try to help each other as kindly and compassionately as possible. I wish you the best of luck with your health and with your loved ones health.

Josh

Josh
                                                Participant
                                                  Hey Anonymous,

Josh

Josh
                                                  Participant
                                                    Anonymous,

The doctors said that if my “mole with clear margins” didn’t come back within two years there was like a 97% chance that it wouldn’t come back at all. Thus, when I write “chances are very good…they’ll never be anything,” I’m referring to the extremely high percentage chance that if you have a small cancerous mole removed and the cancer doesn’t come back or spread in two years, numerically speaking there’s a very good chance it won’t. “Chances are very good” is the key phrase here. Perhaps you just overlooked it. Though, as you probably recall, I was the one who suggested getting a scan just in case. In other words, I’m trying to help this person to avoid my mistake. Could my advice be wrong? Absolutely, but we all know that any answer we get here is just one person’s (and perhaps their doctors’) opinions, and as long as those answers are given in the spirit of helping, that’s all we can hope for. Which brings me to the obvious question: what exactly are you trying to do here? Because it seems to me that you’re either a bully or an a__hole and are just hoping to find errors which have nothing to do with the question at hand. Is it really relevant to this particular question that my profile didn’t list every detail of my treatment while my answer did? Of course not. Are you genuinely confused that I said “chances are very good,” while my particular cancer still came back? Of course not. You’re just being a weirdo. So, perhaps you should remind yourself that we’re all trying to help each other here, so maybe knock off the passive-aggressive hostility. Or if you want to be your most dickish self, perhaps find a forum not populated with cancer patients. This a place for helping people.

Josh
                                                    Participant
                                                      Anonymous,

JC
                                                      Participant

i meant Josh's profile

JC
                                                        Participant

i meant Josh's profile

domingoss
                                                          Participant
                                                            JC
                                                            Participant

JC
                                                              Participant

scans do have a lot of false positives and are only useful when you have stage 4, or high risk 3; they only show tumors, not microscopic individual stray cells

JC
                                                                Participant

scans do have a lot of false positives and are only useful when you have stage 4, or high risk 3; they only show tumors, not microscopic individual stray cells

JC
                                                                  Participant

domingoss
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      That’s what makes me so mad about the beast! There is watch and wait. I’m not very good at that. If my arm did not hurt, if I did not have two insitu already ( right next to each other) multiple atypical nevus, and a ton of “funky” moles (my derms word not mine). I can not go three months without him removing atleast two due to changes from prior visit. There is just wait for now, we preach being proactive and being sun safe but for beginners like myself there is not much more out there. Please don’t get me wrong, I am blessed I am where I am, I’m just worried due to the pain in my arm I guess.
                                                                      domingoss
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        That’s what makes me so mad about the beast! There is watch and wait. I’m not very good at that. If my arm did not hurt, if I did not have two insitu already ( right next to each other) multiple atypical nevus, and a ton of “funky” moles (my derms word not mine). I can not go three months without him removing atleast two due to changes from prior visit. There is just wait for now, we preach being proactive and being sun safe but for beginners like myself there is not much more out there. Please don’t get me wrong, I am blessed I am where I am, I’m just worried due to the pain in my arm I guess.
                                                                        domingoss
                                                                        Participant
                                                                        Josh
                                                                        Participant

Hey Holmes,

Josh 

Janner
                                                                          Participant

It's unlikely you'll get scans for two in situ melanomas, just a fyi.  Insurance most likely won't cover that.

I've had problems with scars that lasted several years, but I can't say I had a new problem start several years out.  Maybe the latest biopsy triggered something with the nerves.  Is it possible you could have done anything else to bother the area.  Lift or pull something? 

I think it's highly unlikely to be related to your melanoma given the two in situs.  Ihe WLEs do cut nerves and take out a chunk of tissue which can cause nerve problems.  But that typically heals over time, not get worse.  If you continue to have the area bother you, it's certainly worth bring up the problem with your doctor.

domingoss
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                Thank you for the information, I think I will call the doctor Monday. I was thinking about a scan myself but wondering if they would cover. The mole re-occurrence was about six months ago. Thought it might be nerve issues but this past week it has really bothered me. I worry about that one renegade cell just like everyone else.

Thanks, Heather

domingoss
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  Thank you for the information, I think I will call the doctor Monday. I was thinking about a scan myself but wondering if they would cover. The mole re-occurrence was about six months ago. Thought it might be nerve issues but this past week it has really bothered me. I worry about that one renegade cell just like everyone else.

Thanks, Heather

domingoss
                                                                                  Participant

Thanks, Heather

domingoss
                                                                                    Participant

Thanks, Heather

domingoss
                                                                                      Participant

Thanks, Heather

domingoss
                                                                                        Participant

Thanks, Heather

Janner
                                                                                        Participant

It's unlikely you'll get scans for two in situ melanomas, just a fyi.  Insurance most likely won't cover that.

I've had problems with scars that lasted several years, but I can't say I had a new problem start several years out.  Maybe the latest biopsy triggered something with the nerves.  Is it possible you could have done anything else to bother the area.  Lift or pull something? 

I think it's highly unlikely to be related to your melanoma given the two in situs.  Ihe WLEs do cut nerves and take out a chunk of tissue which can cause nerve problems.  But that typically heals over time, not get worse.  If you continue to have the area bother you, it's certainly worth bring up the problem with your doctor.

Janner
                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics