The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need help with pathology for atypical mole

Forums General Melanoma Community Need help with pathology for atypical mole

Participant

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me figure out what my pathology report is saying about a mole I had biopsied. I actually have two pathology reports because it was sent for a second opinion. The mole is obviously atypical, but I'm not sure about what the rest is saying. To me, it sounds like the sample was too thin for them to be sure it isn't anything worse. The biopsy was a very thin shave. The mole is on my big toe next to my nail, so it is in a bit of a diffcult place.

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me figure out what my pathology report is saying about a mole I had biopsied. I actually have two pathology reports because it was sent for a second opinion. The mole is obviously atypical, but I'm not sure about what the rest is saying. To me, it sounds like the sample was too thin for them to be sure it isn't anything worse. The biopsy was a very thin shave. The mole is on my big toe next to my nail, so it is in a bit of a diffcult place.

I'm supposed to be having a Mohs surgery to get the rest of the mole. Does this sound like the right plan? I've read that Mohs is usually done for basal and squamous cells, and for an atypical mole I should be having an excision done, but I don't know if that will be possible because of where my mole is. My other option is to try to see a podiatrist surgeon, but I don't know if that would actually be a better option. I'm supposed to make an appointment soon, so I'd appreciate any help.

Pathology #1 says:

Atypical epidermal melanocytic hyperplasia – See Note

Note: Biopsy is very superficial and more severe process can not be excluded. Conservation re-excision with negative margin is recommended for the treatment and proper evaluation of the entire lesion.

Microscopic Description: Superficial biopsy of acral skin with increased number of atypical epidermal melanocytres with pagetoid spread.

Pathology #2 says:

Irritated lentignous melanocytic proliferation with modrate atypia, involving peripheral and deep histologic edges (see note)

Note: Complete removal is recommended for further evaluation and therapy. Multiple original and deeper step sections were examined.

Thanks again for any help anyone can give.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

There's not a lot to go on.  Atypical.  Typically a moderately atypical mole would need clean margins, and since you have involved deep margin – more surgery seems warranted.

As for the method of removal – Mohs removes the least tissue necessary to complete the excision.  I think it's a good choice.  I also believe that a podiatrist is a good choice for surgeon.  They know feet better than anyone.   A conservative excision would be optimal, but probably not practical given the location.   I think you could go either route — just choose what makes YOU feel the most comfortable.  I really don't think one choice is significantly better/worse than the other. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

There's not a lot to go on.  Atypical.  Typically a moderately atypical mole would need clean margins, and since you have involved deep margin – more surgery seems warranted.

As for the method of removal – Mohs removes the least tissue necessary to complete the excision.  I think it's a good choice.  I also believe that a podiatrist is a good choice for surgeon.  They know feet better than anyone.   A conservative excision would be optimal, but probably not practical given the location.   I think you could go either route — just choose what makes YOU feel the most comfortable.  I really don't think one choice is significantly better/worse than the other. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Lauren6
              Participant

Hey there, I'm new here but was just diagnosed with melanoma on Monday.  I'm scheduled for surgery to remove the malignant mole in August.  From what I have read on my skin surgery center's website (http://www.skinsurgerycenter.net), Mohs surgery (named after the surgeon who developed it) is different from "standard" surgery only because the tissues removed go through a process of examination.  The surgeon initially removes the most obvious tissue that is atypical (your mole) along with a very small amount of "normal" surrounding tissue.  The tissue is examined and mapped under microscope while you wait.  If the surrounding tissue is benign, your Mohs surgery is complete.  If the surrounding tissue contains atypical cells, the surgeon takes more tissue, examines it, and the process continues until no more atypical tissue is found.  This is what the linked site above describes, but please read it for yourself.  I may not have every detail correct.  I agree with Janner:  Mohs surgery takes the least amount of tissue necessary.  IMO, this is good for you since it's your toe that is involved and next to your nail.  I'm also familiar with podiatrists (arthritis in my feet) and they do know everything about feet (or are supposed to)!  I would try to talk with both a dermatology surgeon and a podiatry surgeon and see who you feel most comfortable with to.  Again – I am new to all of this also – just wanted to offer some help.  Many others here have much more experience and knowledge than me.  Good luck!

Lauren6
                Participant

Hey there, I'm new here but was just diagnosed with melanoma on Monday.  I'm scheduled for surgery to remove the malignant mole in August.  From what I have read on my skin surgery center's website (http://www.skinsurgerycenter.net), Mohs surgery (named after the surgeon who developed it) is different from "standard" surgery only because the tissues removed go through a process of examination.  The surgeon initially removes the most obvious tissue that is atypical (your mole) along with a very small amount of "normal" surrounding tissue.  The tissue is examined and mapped under microscope while you wait.  If the surrounding tissue is benign, your Mohs surgery is complete.  If the surrounding tissue contains atypical cells, the surgeon takes more tissue, examines it, and the process continues until no more atypical tissue is found.  This is what the linked site above describes, but please read it for yourself.  I may not have every detail correct.  I agree with Janner:  Mohs surgery takes the least amount of tissue necessary.  IMO, this is good for you since it's your toe that is involved and next to your nail.  I'm also familiar with podiatrists (arthritis in my feet) and they do know everything about feet (or are supposed to)!  I would try to talk with both a dermatology surgeon and a podiatry surgeon and see who you feel most comfortable with to.  Again – I am new to all of this also – just wanted to offer some help.  Many others here have much more experience and knowledge than me.  Good luck!

Lauren6
                  Participant

LesleyKS
                    Participant

I have had a few WLE's done on my leg and back.  When I got the recent diagnosis of Melanoma on the sole of my foot I got really worried.  How the heck am I going to move around with crazy stitches on the bottom of my foot?  They did a punch biopsy on the top of my hand and my hand was not right for a few months.  I talked to the doctor yesterday and she is recommending MOHS for me as well since the skin on the feet is super tight they won't be able to do an WLE.  I am currently scheduled for that on August 5th so I can't tell you yet if it is the right way to go.  But judging from my experience with other excisions, I'm really happy she is having me do MOHS instead.  Hope that helps, for what it is worth…

LesleyKS
                      Participant

I have had a few WLE's done on my leg and back.  When I got the recent diagnosis of Melanoma on the sole of my foot I got really worried.  How the heck am I going to move around with crazy stitches on the bottom of my foot?  They did a punch biopsy on the top of my hand and my hand was not right for a few months.  I talked to the doctor yesterday and she is recommending MOHS for me as well since the skin on the feet is super tight they won't be able to do an WLE.  I am currently scheduled for that on August 5th so I can't tell you yet if it is the right way to go.  But judging from my experience with other excisions, I'm really happy she is having me do MOHS instead.  Hope that helps, for what it is worth…

LesleyKS
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics