The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need help understanding my pathology report

Forums General Melanoma Community Need help understanding my pathology report

Participant

Hello all,

I was diagnosed with Melanoma In Situ on my left thigh in July this year.  I would like to know the intricacies of Melanoma and have been doing a lot of my own research.  I need help understanding what exactly my pathology report means.  Here is what it said:

Hello all,

I was diagnosed with Melanoma In Situ on my left thigh in July this year.  I would like to know the intricacies of Melanoma and have been doing a lot of my own research.  I need help understanding what exactly my pathology report means.  Here is what it said:

Concern over the possibility of continuous junctional colonization by melanocytes over a significant expanse (image 2) fueled by observation of a fe high level pagetoid melanocytes, recommended acquiring the block for a well controlled MART-1 immunohistochemical reaction to be prepared here at WDS/CCPL, together with deeper sections.

The haphazard scatter of pathologic melanocytes along the junction with zones of continuity is accompanied by prominent high level pagetoid melanocytes, forcing a malignant interpretation.

That last sentence is the one I am not fully understanding.  I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Thank you!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tim–MRF

I am not a doctor, nor an expert on pathology, but will make a couple of comments.  

Melanocytes are normal cells that, among other things, produce the pigment that results in tan, moles, etc.  Pagetoid means that the melanocytes are spreading up into the epidermis, rather than down into the deeper layer of tissues.  There is some question about how significant this phenomena is in diagnosing cancer.  Generally melanocytes shouldn't spread, but does spreading into the epidermis mean that they are beginning to act in a malignant fashion?  Melanoma is name for malignant melanocytes.  So, if you have pagetoid melanocytes does that mean you have melanoma?  Traditional thinging has been "yes". but some studies have also shown that pagetoid melanocytes can occur in benign nevi.  Some argue that the location and formation of these migrating cells is the distinguishing factor.

Given this, it is better to err on the side of caution.

The fact that your melanoma is staged as in situ is great.  When caught at this stage it is almost universally cured through simple surgery.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

I am not a doctor, nor an expert on pathology, but will make a couple of comments.  

Melanocytes are normal cells that, among other things, produce the pigment that results in tan, moles, etc.  Pagetoid means that the melanocytes are spreading up into the epidermis, rather than down into the deeper layer of tissues.  There is some question about how significant this phenomena is in diagnosing cancer.  Generally melanocytes shouldn't spread, but does spreading into the epidermis mean that they are beginning to act in a malignant fashion?  Melanoma is name for malignant melanocytes.  So, if you have pagetoid melanocytes does that mean you have melanoma?  Traditional thinging has been "yes". but some studies have also shown that pagetoid melanocytes can occur in benign nevi.  Some argue that the location and formation of these migrating cells is the distinguishing factor.

The fact that your melanoma is staged as in situ is great.  When caught at this stage it is almost universally cured through simple surgery.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics