The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need help…think its back?

Forums General Melanoma Community Need help…think its back?

Participant

Hi everyone. Im new here. In Nov of 2008 I was diagnosed with Melanoma (on my abdomen). I'll make the long story short. Had the wide excision and dissection of the inguinal node. Pathology on that was fine. recently had some pains in left breast so I had a diagnostic mammogram. They found no mass etc in the breasts but did find Bilateral Axillary Adenopathy. They requested ultrasounds of those areas. They said the nodes are palpable and large but as of now not certain whats infecting them.

Hi everyone. Im new here. In Nov of 2008 I was diagnosed with Melanoma (on my abdomen). I'll make the long story short. Had the wide excision and dissection of the inguinal node. Pathology on that was fine. recently had some pains in left breast so I had a diagnostic mammogram. They found no mass etc in the breasts but did find Bilateral Axillary Adenopathy. They requested ultrasounds of those areas. They said the nodes are palpable and large but as of now not certain whats infecting them. Do you think its possible that after these two years of being "ok"…this is back or there is a possibility? I am scared. I am not set for u/s until late next week and with results after that, feels like forever to wait. Just curious if anyone can tell me if theyve had experience with this. That would be quite a spread to both armpits. But I have had issues in my left armpit since about 2 months after surgery in Jan 2009. From a rash that they couldnt diagnose or fix with topicals etc. to now being a non itching patch of discolored skin about 3" by 1" in size. Please help. Karen

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        LizzM
        Participant

It would be helpful if you could post the pathology from your original mel. Size, depth, etc. I hope your issues are mel rearing its ugly head again. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along and give you some opinions.

LizzM
          Participant

It would be helpful if you could post the pathology from your original mel. Size, depth, etc. I hope your issues are mel rearing its ugly head again. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along and give you some opinions.

lhaley
            Participant

Karen,

It is possible but I hope it's not.  At times when they do an SNB they find that the drainage goes to two different areas.  Unfortunately until you have the biopsy you won't know.  There is a good chance that you have some form of infection! Have they done a PET/CT to see if the area lights up or any other diagnostic tests?

Let us know where you live and where your being seen. Do you have an oncology surgeon who is versed in melanoma?

Let us know what you find out.  Waitng is the hardest part.

Linda

Stage IV since 06

Kmazz99
                Participant

Linda,

Wow, that posted 3 times. Sorry…new and didnt think it went through. Forgot to metion the oncologist I was seeing back then relocated. I have no one new. I live in Philadelphia. The plastic surgeon recommended I see a breast surgeon by the bame of Jennifer Simmons after the ultrasounds. Honestly if it doesnt have to do with my breasts…why? (which he said himself). Also…I didnt know ultrasounds would be able to see whats going on in the lymph nodes????

Kmazz99
                  Participant

Linda,

Wow, that posted 3 times. Sorry…new and didnt think it went through. Forgot to metion the oncologist I was seeing back then relocated. I have no one new. I live in Philadelphia. The plastic surgeon recommended I see a breast surgeon by the bame of Jennifer Simmons after the ultrasounds. Honestly if it doesnt have to do with my breasts…why? (which he said himself). Also…I didnt know ultrasounds would be able to see whats going on in the lymph nodes????

lhaley
                    Participant

One of my last nodes (in my arm) came up as nothing on the PET scan.  could feel the lump!  I went to a surgeon who did an ultrasound.  At the time he thought it was a blood clot an it was decided for me to comeback in a month. I came back and they did another ultrasound. Compared the two and saw that it had grown. That's when they did a fine needle biopsy which came back positive.

There are some great Drs. in Phila. for melanoma!!  I used to go to Dr.Guerry but he has retired. If no one gives you a name I'll send an e-mail to a friend that just left the melanoma dept.(she worked there) at Univ of Penn and ask her for a name for you. 

When they did my ultrasound the Dr. discussed it with me as he was doing it. Nothing would be definitive until they do a fine needle biopsy. Even then they aren't totally sure!!  That's why my Dr. wanted to give it a month to see if it grew.

By the way. When you post you just have to wait a minute or two before it posts!

I'll get back to you with some names.

Linda

lhaley
                      Participant

I e-mailed 2 names and numbers. If you don't get it let me know!

Linda

Kmazz99
                        Participant

Thank you so much. You are very hepful. I did receieve them, just a tad late dealing with some hectic court issues 🙁 I will be sure to contact one of them once I get the ultrasound results.

Kmazz99
                          Participant

Thank you so much. You are very hepful. I did receieve them, just a tad late dealing with some hectic court issues 🙁 I will be sure to contact one of them once I get the ultrasound results.

lhaley
                            Participant

I e-mailed 2 names and numbers. If you don't get it let me know!

Linda

lhaley
                              Participant

One of my last nodes (in my arm) came up as nothing on the PET scan.  could feel the lump!  I went to a surgeon who did an ultrasound.  At the time he thought it was a blood clot an it was decided for me to comeback in a month. I came back and they did another ultrasound. Compared the two and saw that it had grown. That's when they did a fine needle biopsy which came back positive.

There are some great Drs. in Phila. for melanoma!!  I used to go to Dr.Guerry but he has retired. If no one gives you a name I'll send an e-mail to a friend that just left the melanoma dept.(she worked there) at Univ of Penn and ask her for a name for you. 

When they did my ultrasound the Dr. discussed it with me as he was doing it. Nothing would be definitive until they do a fine needle biopsy. Even then they aren't totally sure!!  That's why my Dr. wanted to give it a month to see if it grew.

By the way. When you post you just have to wait a minute or two before it posts!

I'll get back to you with some names.

Linda

lhaley
                              Participant

Karen,

It is possible but I hope it's not.  At times when they do an SNB they find that the drainage goes to two different areas.  Unfortunately until you have the biopsy you won't know.  There is a good chance that you have some form of infection! Have they done a PET/CT to see if the area lights up or any other diagnostic tests?

Let us know where you live and where your being seen. Do you have an oncology surgeon who is versed in melanoma?

Let us know what you find out.  Waitng is the hardest part.

Linda

Stage IV since 06

Kmazz99
                                Participant

Thank you so much for responding. I can only tell you right off the bat that it was only Stage I at the time but I have in the past couple years put the first of the papers alone. Just remember the phone call that the node biopsy (on the inguinal) was ok. It was rapid. I was pregnant when I was first saw it. Went from the size of a half a grain of rice to a dime in about 4 months. I will try to look up more in my fileboxes.

Im a little scattered on it because my primary was on vacation then I couldnt catch im in his office. I finally got in touch with an old plastic surgeon for my breasts since he had reports sent to him as well and he explained that he thought it may be related to the Melanoma because the breast mammograms were great…it was the lymphnodes that were enlarged and infected. They both pressed the importance of the ultrasounds of the axillaries which isnt until the 17th, plus result time…so the wait is hard. Especially when I really dont have anyone to talk to about it. They dont understand Im worried and are giving me silly off the wall reasons it could be…seriously like the deodorant I use is causing my lymphnodes to swell for so long when I have had serious pain down the same are of the left side previously. 

I remembered being told when I had the dye injected they would follow the dye to the sentinal node (which I guess they presumed was the inguinal node…or vice versa, sorry, tired as Im typing this). but its the University of Penn and very good Oncology and Dermatology. However at that time they had to do the dye twice because they couldnt find it at all when tracing around my pelvic region. I remember me and my mom being shocked that we sat in the waiting room forveer before they said they had to redo it because they couldnt locate the dye. Maybe it went to the axillary afterall? So confused.

Thank you…this internet will kill ya with its diagnoses'. I'd much rather ask people who may know.

Kmazz99
                                  Participant

Thank you so much for responding. I can only tell you right off the bat that it was only Stage I at the time but I have in the past couple years put the first of the papers alone. Just remember the phone call that the node biopsy (on the inguinal) was ok. It was rapid. I was pregnant when I was first saw it. Went from the size of a half a grain of rice to a dime in about 4 months. I will try to look up more in my fileboxes.

Im a little scattered on it because my primary was on vacation then I couldnt catch im in his office. I finally got in touch with an old plastic surgeon for my breasts since he had reports sent to him as well and he explained that he thought it may be related to the Melanoma because the breast mammograms were great…it was the lymphnodes that were enlarged and infected. They both pressed the importance of the ultrasounds of the axillaries which isnt until the 17th, plus result time…so the wait is hard. Especially when I really dont have anyone to talk to about it. They dont understand Im worried and are giving me silly off the wall reasons it could be…seriously like the deodorant I use is causing my lymphnodes to swell for so long when I have had serious pain down the same are of the left side previously. 

I remembered being told when I had the dye injected they would follow the dye to the sentinal node (which I guess they presumed was the inguinal node…or vice versa, sorry, tired as Im typing this). but its the University of Penn and very good Oncology and Dermatology. However at that time they had to do the dye twice because they couldnt find it at all when tracing around my pelvic region. I remember me and my mom being shocked that we sat in the waiting room forveer before they said they had to redo it because they couldnt locate the dye. Maybe it went to the axillary afterall? So confused.

Thank you…this internet will kill ya with its diagnoses'. I'd much rather ask people who may know.

Kmazz99
                                    Participant

Kmazz99
                                      Participant

Kmazz99
                                        Participant

Kmazz99
                                          Participant

dian in spokane
                                            Participant

I am sure you are nervous, and of course it could be melanoma, but that seems less likely than some other things, including issues with shaving and deorderant! Especially considering that history of rash

For a few years when I was younger, I had persistant problems with lumps and problems in my armpits that had to do with shaving.  Plus I was very sensitive to different anti-perspirants. I was stage 1 back then, but I was pretty ignorant about lymph nodes, thank heavens, or I am sure I would have driven myself crazy worrying about melanoma!

Good luck, and do come back and let us know how it all turns out!

dian

Kmazz99
                                                Participant

I sure hope that it is a simple issue like that. But I felt like I logocally and rationally went through that all in my head. The rash started with a couple months of the node dissection. I have had severe pains in that shoulder and a numbness that comes unexplectedly and for no real reason down that arm. (we're talking the left). The rash went away after leaving it unmedicated…or I should say the itching went away. The spot remains discolored this time later. No more itching. But logically thinking, I have never had issues with deodorant or shaving and nothing bothering my other arm…the docs think if it were that it wouldve affected both with a rash at least. But the timing has just been too close. I am hoping that I get clear results fast to get it out of my head. But I also wish I didnt know some thinsg about the nodes now because it worries me. Anytime my mom has issues w nodes…he counts go up, she has Leukemia. My uncles had them…he got throat cancer. My friends sister had lymph node swelling and infection like mine…diagnosed with Lymphoma.

Well…for now i am tricking myself into thinking I dont care. Im going to let it go. I will however come back when I find out for sure what it is 🙂 Thanks for the replies.

Kmazz99
                                                  Participant

Sorry for my typos. I dont want to come off as an idiot. lol. Im going on little sleep and much stress lately. Didnt want it to seem Im disrespectful and careless.

Kmazz99
                                                    Participant

Sorry for my typos. I dont want to come off as an idiot. lol. Im going on little sleep and much stress lately. Didnt want it to seem Im disrespectful and careless.

Kmazz99
                                                      Participant

I sure hope that it is a simple issue like that. But I felt like I logocally and rationally went through that all in my head. The rash started with a couple months of the node dissection. I have had severe pains in that shoulder and a numbness that comes unexplectedly and for no real reason down that arm. (we're talking the left). The rash went away after leaving it unmedicated…or I should say the itching went away. The spot remains discolored this time later. No more itching. But logically thinking, I have never had issues with deodorant or shaving and nothing bothering my other arm…the docs think if it were that it wouldve affected both with a rash at least. But the timing has just been too close. I am hoping that I get clear results fast to get it out of my head. But I also wish I didnt know some thinsg about the nodes now because it worries me. Anytime my mom has issues w nodes…he counts go up, she has Leukemia. My uncles had them…he got throat cancer. My friends sister had lymph node swelling and infection like mine…diagnosed with Lymphoma.

Well…for now i am tricking myself into thinking I dont care. Im going to let it go. I will however come back when I find out for sure what it is 🙂 Thanks for the replies.

dian in spokane
                                                      Participant

I am sure you are nervous, and of course it could be melanoma, but that seems less likely than some other things, including issues with shaving and deorderant! Especially considering that history of rash

For a few years when I was younger, I had persistant problems with lumps and problems in my armpits that had to do with shaving.  Plus I was very sensitive to different anti-perspirants. I was stage 1 back then, but I was pretty ignorant about lymph nodes, thank heavens, or I am sure I would have driven myself crazy worrying about melanoma!

Good luck, and do come back and let us know how it all turns out!

dian

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics