The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need Help Please

Forums General Melanoma Community Need Help Please

Participant
      Good morning, My husband Ken got his results back from his Pet Scan and final impression was an isolated 3.2 lymph node in inguinal node. Already biopsied and confirmed Melanoma. We see the surgeon next week to discuss removal. Ken had a 4 year response to Yervoy before this latest recurrance. Oncologist is suggesting the Yervoy/Opdivo combo. My question is why does he have to do both? Wouldn’t Nivo be sufficient and if he was to progress add the Yervoy? I know he had a 4 year response but we all know Yervoy can have some nasty side effects which luckily he tolerated well. Final decision obviously will be after surgery. Thank you all.

Cammy & Ken

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        MarkR
        Participant
          Hi
          I had the combo but due to side effects didn’t make it to Nivo. Had progression earlier this year and was offered Nivo Mono or Combo. I chose Nivo as I didn’t want the side effects stopping treatment again. Last scan was stable so hoping this improves more next month
          Best wishes
          Mark
            MarkR
            Participant
              Sorry – should have added that I have Combo in reserve for if / when Nivo fails
              Mark
              Jewel
              Participant
                Hi Mark,
                I’m very glad to hear that your remaining stable on the Nivo. Prayers that will remain so on your next scan. May I ask how your side effects have Been? My husband was one of the lucky ones who was able to tolerate IPI. Sadly the response only lasted 4 years. Not that we aren’t grateful for that time. Thanks Again.

Jewel

MarkR
                Participant
                  Hi
                  Side effects on. I I have been limited to fatigue but this is quite variable and I can’t find a particular pattern. After my last dose I haven’t really had much in the way of tiredness but I work (including travel) about 55 hours a week and exercise 3 times a week as well so often feel tired!!
                  I recently seem to have developed vitiligo on my face but going to confirm this with onco when I visit him next week. Overall pretty minimal effects and nothing I overly worry about
                  Best wishes
                  Mark
                Gene_S
                Participant
                  This article may explain why it came back after 4 years?

https://germannewmedicinebrainmints.wordpress.com/tag/melanoma/

Best wishes,
                  Gene

cancersnewnormal
                  Participant
                    I see no reason why monotherapy with either Nivo or Keytruda wouldn’t be an option. While the combo does have a better response rate, as you mentioned, the side effect profile is also higher. Not knowing his full history and what you mean by him having a 4 year response to Ipi, its a little more difficult to ponder what the oncologist might be reasoning. Did Ken have detectable disease on imaging that the Yervoy “cleaned up”? Or did he take it as an adjuvant therapy? I ask, because if he had no detectable disease, but took Ipi in the “preventative” adjuvant setting… then it may not actually have done anything at all for him. He may simply not have recurred until now. If it visibly shrank (or made disappear) lesions that remained in his body, and cleared him for 4 years, then his melanoma may have found a work around, or his body may just need a “booster” of the Yervoy. Additionally… if the surgeon removes the lymph node, leaving him with no other detectable lesions… I’d personally be concerned about taking the combo versus trying Nivo or Keytruda as a solo adjuvant agent. As you mentioned, with progression on a solo anti-pd1, the Yervoy could always be approved as an addition. I’m typically very aggressive in nature when it comes to attacking back, however, I’m also of the belief “Why try to drink from the fire hose, if drinking from the garden hose will quench your thirst?”
                Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics