The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

need help – bump

Forums General Melanoma Community need help – bump

Participant

Hi Everyone,

I hope that you all are enjoying the hot days of summer.  I am hoping someone out there can shed some light on my situation because this is where I have learned everything I know about melanoma.  I am so grateful for all of your wisdom and guidance throughout this journey.  I haven't met any of you, but I trust you like family!

Hi Everyone,

I hope that you all are enjoying the hot days of summer.  I am hoping someone out there can shed some light on my situation because this is where I have learned everything I know about melanoma.  I am so grateful for all of your wisdom and guidance throughout this journey.  I haven't met any of you, but I trust you like family!

My battle began 2 years ago, July 09.  I was staged at 3B.  Had 3 positive nodes in my groin area and complete resection of melanoma tumor from the center of my VERY lower back…top of my butt crack to be exact…sun never shined there!  Did a complete year of Interferon.  Last scans in Feb 11 – all clear.  Last oncologist visit May – bloodwork all normal.

On Saturday, I felt a small bump, like a mosquito bite, at the top of my left butt…same side as melanoma.  Felt like a marble under my skin.  Went to Urgent Care facility for some guidance.  Do I call oncologist, dermatologist, or surgeon?   Doctor said not to worry…it was a sign of aging,  melanoma develops at the bone and this was right under the skin.  I should go to dermatologist because of my history and for peace of mind.  Needless to say, I ran out of there so fast!

Yesterday, I went to dermatoligst who tried to excise it but couldn't.  She said it was too deep and moved during the procedure.  She immediately called my oncologist and surgeon, scheduling appointments with both,  Thursday I see my oncologist and Monday the surgeon.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience?  Does it have to be a sub-q or could it be something else?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated…thanks!

Sleeplessly yours,

Tricia

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Cid FLA
        Participant

Tricia,

As a fellow IIIb- 6yrs out…………..I understand your concern. It seems to me you're doing everything you can and you certainly knew enough to ditch the first Doc. Big pat on the back for that one. You may have empowered a newbie to dig deeper just by sharing that.

If it helps you sleep, it's my understanding that a movable cyst is preferable because it's less  likely to have developed a blood supply that would "root" it. However, you're wise to follow through with the pros.

In the meantime…..it always helps me, when I've done all I can do like you have, to consider the time between appointments a "free pass" . That being time to relax, forget about mel, and know you've done your part.

Hope this helps…………………Cid

Cid FLA
          Participant

Tricia,

As a fellow IIIb- 6yrs out…………..I understand your concern. It seems to me you're doing everything you can and you certainly knew enough to ditch the first Doc. Big pat on the back for that one. You may have empowered a newbie to dig deeper just by sharing that.

If it helps you sleep, it's my understanding that a movable cyst is preferable because it's less  likely to have developed a blood supply that would "root" it. However, you're wise to follow through with the pros.

In the meantime…..it always helps me, when I've done all I can do like you have, to consider the time between appointments a "free pass" . That being time to relax, forget about mel, and know you've done your part.

Hope this helps…………………Cid

Carol Taylor
            Participant

Tricia,

Glad your head was working better than the first dr you saw and you ran!  I would probably consider reporting what he told you to your state's medical board.  He should know better.

I'm thankful your derm couldn't reach it because it's in your best interest to pursue the path she put you on. Thursday isn't far away now and you'll get some answers, with more answers to follow a few days later, and still have time to deal with this if it proves to be more melanoma.

Relaxing is easier said than done right now, but try to take your mind off this for now and don't let it drive you crazy. Going crazy isn't going to accomplish anything. It is absolutely possible that it is one of life's bumps under the skin that's really nothing. Sit tight a couple of more days and you'll know more.

Praying for you friend.

Lord, in Your mercy, be with Tricia and her doctors. Grant them wisdom and knowledge, but I'm praying this bump is nothing. Thank You. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
              Participant

Tricia,

Glad your head was working better than the first dr you saw and you ran!  I would probably consider reporting what he told you to your state's medical board.  He should know better.

I'm thankful your derm couldn't reach it because it's in your best interest to pursue the path she put you on. Thursday isn't far away now and you'll get some answers, with more answers to follow a few days later, and still have time to deal with this if it proves to be more melanoma.

Relaxing is easier said than done right now, but try to take your mind off this for now and don't let it drive you crazy. Going crazy isn't going to accomplish anything. It is absolutely possible that it is one of life's bumps under the skin that's really nothing. Sit tight a couple of more days and you'll know more.

Praying for you friend.

Lord, in Your mercy, be with Tricia and her doctors. Grant them wisdom and knowledge, but I'm praying this bump is nothing. Thank You. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

jimjoeb
                Participant

I have a lump as well that my physiotherapist discovered. Because I'm so close to my last surgery in the same area (Jun 10, 11), I was advised by the cancer centre to follow up with my surgeon. I have an appointment.

I think that you're doing a good thing to have it checked out, if only for the piece of mind!

jimjoeb
                  Participant

I have a lump as well that my physiotherapist discovered. Because I'm so close to my last surgery in the same area (Jun 10, 11), I was advised by the cancer centre to follow up with my surgeon. I have an appointment.

I think that you're doing a good thing to have it checked out, if only for the piece of mind!

Teodora

Hi Tricia,

Melanoma is such an indiviudal disease that the only thing that is for sure is that you can't compare yourself with any other melanoma case out there.I have a cervical melanoma and I can tell you that doctors did totally agrre that since sun doesn't shine in there  it has noting to do with sun at all.

And this is the hardest part   of it al: out of all cancers out there we are "lucky" to get the one that never follows any rules, Mel.

My advice is the doctors have to evaluate your specific case and assign you a treatment that is designed only for your own diagnosis.

The worst thing you could do is to apply other individuals diagnosis to your own case.Try to get as much information on melanoma as possible but please remember that it goes different from one person to another, simple as that.

Best wishes to you,

Teodora

Teodora

Hi Tricia,

Melanoma is such an indiviudal disease that the only thing that is for sure is that you can't compare yourself with any other melanoma case out there.I have a cervical melanoma and I can tell you that doctors did totally agrre that since sun doesn't shine in there  it has noting to do with sun at all.

And this is the hardest part   of it al: out of all cancers out there we are "lucky" to get the one that never follows any rules, Mel.

My advice is the doctors have to evaluate your specific case and assign you a treatment that is designed only for your own diagnosis.

The worst thing you could do is to apply other individuals diagnosis to your own case.Try to get as much information on melanoma as possible but please remember that it goes different from one person to another, simple as that.

Best wishes to you,

Teodora

Carver
                        Participant

That is very similar to my experiences and in both cases mine were benign but my doctors excised them comppletely and did a biopsy to be safe. In my case not too long after my groin LND I had a marble sized lipoma excised by my dermatologist that was near my LND scar. Then a year or so later I had a very large lipoma on my back which my surgical oncologist had to excise. Prior to that excision they did an MRI which showed it likely benign and that it wasn't in the bone but to be safe my surgical oncologist removed the whole thing. I lucked out both times with bengin lipomas. I hope that will be the case with you. Take care, Carver

Carver
                          Participant

That is very similar to my experiences and in both cases mine were benign but my doctors excised them comppletely and did a biopsy to be safe. In my case not too long after my groin LND I had a marble sized lipoma excised by my dermatologist that was near my LND scar. Then a year or so later I had a very large lipoma on my back which my surgical oncologist had to excise. Prior to that excision they did an MRI which showed it likely benign and that it wasn't in the bone but to be safe my surgical oncologist removed the whole thing. I lucked out both times with bengin lipomas. I hope that will be the case with you. Take care, Carver

triciad
                            Participant

Thank you all for your wonderful advice and prayers…Carol, I'm counting on you!!!!  Carver, you made my day, and I just might get some sleep tonight!

Needless to say, I am a nervous wreck.  I'm a teacher, so I have the summer to deal with this…a good thing.   My district just emailed me last week to run several after school workshops in September, and of course, I already said…yes…no problem…a bad thing!  Now, I wonder if it will be possible.  Can anything ever be easy? 

Again, my sincerest gratitude for all of your help. 
                              Without the wonderful people on this board, I wouldn't have a chance.

Blessings to all for a truly magnificent summer…naturally, using sunscreen, hats, and extra clothing!

Hugs,

Tricia

triciad
                              Participant

Thank you all for your wonderful advice and prayers…Carol, I'm counting on you!!!!  Carver, you made my day, and I just might get some sleep tonight!

Needless to say, I am a nervous wreck.  I'm a teacher, so I have the summer to deal with this…a good thing.   My district just emailed me last week to run several after school workshops in September, and of course, I already said…yes…no problem…a bad thing!  Now, I wonder if it will be possible.  Can anything ever be easy? 

Again, my sincerest gratitude for all of your help. 
                                Without the wonderful people on this board, I wouldn't have a chance.

Blessings to all for a truly magnificent summer…naturally, using sunscreen, hats, and extra clothing!

Hugs,

Tricia

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics