The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need an answer from someone w/ H/R knowledge

Forums General Melanoma Community Need an answer from someone w/ H/R knowledge

Participant

I am looking for some information that an H/R person might know. What all is included in a background check that a potential employer would do? I ask specifically because I had a job for 2-3 weeks once. Just knew immediately it was not for me. I've omitted it on past resumes/applications, but it was only 4 months after leaving that of only 2-3 weeks (barely got through training). There was never an issue or a question with the current job I am in that I started 4 months after leaving that other job. I may apply for an internal position.

I am looking for some information that an H/R person might know. What all is included in a background check that a potential employer would do? I ask specifically because I had a job for 2-3 weeks once. Just knew immediately it was not for me. I've omitted it on past resumes/applications, but it was only 4 months after leaving that of only 2-3 weeks (barely got through training). There was never an issue or a question with the current job I am in that I started 4 months after leaving that other job. I may apply for an internal position. And the position I hold now may be eliminated. In any event, is there a general employer background check that this very short term job might show up on? Or do they only call each employer individually for employment verification? Most employers don't give references anymore, just employment dates, position held, etc. I'm just concerned about a general background check showing that employer of 2-3 weeks. So do any of you have H/R exeprience and know the answer to this with certainty? Thanks.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        BillMFl
        Participant

It all depends.  Some firms are relatively lax and only check your last employer, especially if you were there for a reasonably long time. It takes time and effort to do a deep background check (MONEY) so unless you are interviewing for a high level job most companies don't make more than a couple of calls. And if they are "stealing" you away from your current employer they won't call and jepordize your employment.  Any job requiring a government security clearance you had better reveal everything.  Most employment applications include a clause that states that lying about or leaving out relevant job history, etc. is considered just cause for termination.  But even then, if the lie or omission was minor and they really like you and your performance, they rarely enforce it.  Of course if you are the anon who is usually a snotty pain in the ass, you probably have a lot to hide!  🙂

BillMFl
          Participant

It all depends.  Some firms are relatively lax and only check your last employer, especially if you were there for a reasonably long time. It takes time and effort to do a deep background check (MONEY) so unless you are interviewing for a high level job most companies don't make more than a couple of calls. And if they are "stealing" you away from your current employer they won't call and jepordize your employment.  Any job requiring a government security clearance you had better reveal everything.  Most employment applications include a clause that states that lying about or leaving out relevant job history, etc. is considered just cause for termination.  But even then, if the lie or omission was minor and they really like you and your performance, they rarely enforce it.  Of course if you are the anon who is usually a snotty pain in the ass, you probably have a lot to hide!  🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics