The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need advise on staging

Forums General Melanoma Community Need advise on staging

Participant

Hi 

can anyone on here tell me what stage my melanoma is? I asked my consultant but he swept over it and changed the subject. 

I had my toe amputated due to an ulcerated melanoma 4mm thick, 10 years ago. 

I now have a rather large swollen lymph node in my right groin which has proven to be melanoma. I will be having all my numbers des in right groin next week, but I would just like to know staging etc. Not knowing is worse, I think xxx 

thanks 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tamlin
        Participant

Sorry that's meant to read "all my nodes removed" not number lol xxx 

Tamlin
          Participant

Tamlin
            Participant

stars
              Participant

Hi – I'm no expert but I think spread to the nodes is stage 3, beyond the nodes (e.g. if a PET or CT revealed distant mets) is stage 4. So to me, you are stage 3.

https://www.melanoma.org.au/understanding-melanoma/stages-of-melanoma/

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but get a new consultant. Sweeping over staging is inexcusable – staging is all important in understanding your diagnosis, coming to terms with it and planning your treatment etc.

Just to reframe this: you are a melanoma patient with a worrying recurrence in regional lymph nodes. Staging is THE ONLY thing you really need to know. Everything hangs off this staging. For your consultant not to clearly discuss staging – or at the very least explain that they can't stage you yet because you still need to undergo certain investigations – is pretty slack.

stars
                Participant

Hi – I'm no expert but I think spread to the nodes is stage 3, beyond the nodes (e.g. if a PET or CT revealed distant mets) is stage 4. So to me, you are stage 3.

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but get a new consultant. Sweeping over staging is inexcusable – staging is all important in understanding your diagnosis, coming to terms with it and planning your treatment etc.

Just to reframe this: you are a melanoma patient with a worrying recurrence in regional lymph nodes. Staging is THE ONLY thing you really need to know. Everything hangs off this staging. For your consultant not to clearly discuss staging – or at the very least explain that they can't stage you yet because you still need to undergo certain investigations – is pretty slack.

stars
                  Participant

Janner
                    Participant

Staging will depend on the number of nodes positive.  Right now, the best your doc could say is at least stage 3.  But until you get the path report on the lymph node dissection, the more detailed staging can't be stated.

Tamlin
                        Participant

Thank you xx

Tamlin
                          Participant

Thank you xx

Tamlin
                            Participant

Thank you xx

Janner
                            Participant

Staging will depend on the number of nodes positive.  Right now, the best your doc could say is at least stage 3.  But until you get the path report on the lymph node dissection, the more detailed staging can't be stated.

Janner
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics