The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need Advice

Forums General Melanoma Community Need Advice

Participant
      History: 5 years ago diagnosed with Melanoma on scalp (stage 1B). Surgically removed, lymph nodes taken out for test.

Lymph node test came out negative (one cell tested positive but it was considered due to a containment).

Two weeks ago on year check up X-ray noticed a nodule on lung-CT scan confirmed 1.7 cm nodule.

Biopsy scheduled, but doctors think it’s melanoma.

Any advice, experience, questions I should ask doctors? Also how did I go from stage 1B to stage 4 seemingly out of nowhere?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        MarkR
        Participant
          Hi
          Sorry that you are going through this – I was confirmed as having lung mets earlier this year. It’s a horrible experience but it is possible. I went from stage 1 to 3B after a 12 year gap and then moved on to stage IV.

It is possible that this is just a benign lung nodule and it is more likely when there is only a single nodule. Unfortunately you need to sit tight and wait for the biopsy. If melanoma is confirmed you will be started on immunotherapy that sees great results for many people.
          Best of luck to you
          Mark

cancersnewnormal
          Participant
            First of all, whomever the doc is that got you on a routine annual chest x-ray should be given a huge pat on the back. Whether or not it is melanoma metastasis, that’s a good follow up protocol! IF this is indeed melanoma, that’s a nice early catch (yes, even at stage IV, an early catch is better than a late one!). It could be a benign nodule. It is possible. I had a nurse friend who thought for certain that she was facing metastatic breast cancer, until her biopsy showed it was a fungus in her lungs. Weird things happen. That said, it could very well be a return of the melanoma. Mine was 1a when removed from my shoulder in July 2007. Five years and 9 months later, it was stage IV. Three lesions in my lungs… 5 cm, 2 cm, and 1.2 cm. Five lesions in my brain… largest at 1.4 cm caused a seizure, leading to the discovery of stage IV. Apparently my primary care doc doing skin checks every 6 months did nothing to stop or sufficiently monitor the spread. Go figure. Had I been getting annual chest x-rays… we may have found things a lot sooner.

You’re now in the unenviable position of “biopsy then wait for results”. It’s probably going to be the longest stretch of 7-14 days you’ve encountered in quite some time. Fingers crossed that it’s something less ominous than melanoma, and you can be back on track with annual check ups! However… IF… IF IF it is melanoma… ask about possible BRAF testing status, and perhaps a brain MRI and full body PET/CT are in order as well. If the biopsy comes back as melanoma, AND its a single lesion with the rest of you coming back clear on scans, you’ll have a few options……. but putting the cart too far in front of the horse is only going to have you more on edge and stressed while awaiting test results. For now, try your best to distract with “regular life” stuff.

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics