The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need advice

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Need advice

Participant
      Hi all. I am new to the group. Thanks so much for being here

I was dx with early stage melanoma in May. By way of background I have had early stage breast cancer 11 ago and early stage thyroid cancer 5 years ago and consider myself really fortunate and really healthy I have 2 kids and a full-time career

I have been going to my dermatologist every 6 months for almost 20 years. Lots of moles removed and in all that time I had 1 basal

I noticed a light colored mole on my arm and brought it to his attention. Turned out to be stage 0 or 1 melanoma. Then I had my regular skin check and he biopsies another mole in my trunk. Not melanoma but they want to do a wider excision this week. And finally I see an unusual shaped mole on my neck that I am now anxious about. Sent him a picture and will follow up this week.

My Derm is great but I am starting to wonder if I should be working with a group like Dana Farber since my risk factors are high. What would you all recommend?

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Momand2kids
        Participant
          I should also add that my pathology mentioned that I had. No cell mitosis
            Debbiem
            Participant
              Are you getting care at a cancer center?

With your history, it seems like there would be benefit in going to a cancer center if possible.

Hang in there!
              Debbie

Momand2kids
              Participant
                Debbie,
                yes the follow up for my thyroid and breast cancer is done at Dana Farber– so I am thinking about talking with them about their melanoma group— these things are early and solvable- but I think I need to be vigilant with this one!
                thanks
                Rocco
                Participant
                  All my care since 2005 is thru DFCI. My derm at their recommendation is Dr. Rubenstein through Brigham and Women’s. He’s great.
                  Rocco
                  Participant
                    PS- Dr Hodi is my Onc at DFCI
                    momand2girls
                    Participant
                      Rocco,
                      thanks so much- I will talk to my oncologist in July about this- and with the nurse navigator– just don’t want to take any chances!
                      A
                      Participant
                        I am sorry about your diagnosis. Wonder if you could describe that “light colored mole” that turned to be melanoma. It is unusual for melanoma not to be dark and it would be good to know how it looked like for awareness. It is great that you caught is so early! Thanks!
                        mandyjill
                        Participant
                          The melanoma tumor I had removed was also light colored. It looked like a bug bite. It was amelonotic, which is not too common.
                          momand2girls
                          Participant
                            It sort of looked, at first glance, like a bug bite– I thought it was more red/pink–and it did not cause my derm any concern in my January appointment… But as I look at the photo now, I can see that it was brown underneath….They actually said some melanoma do present lighter– and if you had been looking at my arm, standing next to me, you would have thought it was a mosquito bite… but a closer look showed how it was somewhat darker undereath. I have another one that I am chasing down that looks irregular to me but I cannot tell if I am just being paranoid now. They did take another mole off that was unusual- not malignant but they took it and will do a wider excision anyway.

So gratful that you are all out there— when I got breast cancer, I became a real breast cancer expert– but I don’t really want to become an expert on other types of cancer- but I know I have to be vigilant— your information has been very helpful.

lindy303
                            Participant
                              My T1A melanoma on my thigh looked like a freckle, but it was more whitish on one end. The only thing that drew my attention was that the skin felt odd as I rubbed my hand across it. Thank goodness for my dermatologist being suspicious as well because it definitely wasn’t a “textbooik” melanoma.
                        Viewing 0 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics