The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Neck tumor causing choking and swallowing issues in surgery?

Forums General Melanoma Community Neck tumor causing choking and swallowing issues in surgery?

Participant

My neck tumor or tumors has been causing me to have choking and swallowing issues. Especially if the docs lay me in certain positions and things. I'm ok putting up with it day to day and eating albiet with issues.

Tomorrow though I'm supposed to have biopsy surgery finally. Is it my imagination or if they knock me out and put me in one of those positions can I choke to death?Since we didn't wait the extra two weeks it is just the surgeon of the day so I have no confidence in them from past experience there. Sorry for the crazy question but I've been having nightmares ever since the December mri when the neck tumor was better and I kept choking.

Artie

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Momrn5
        Participant

Hi Artie, I have been following your story and just needed to reply to this. There are many things that can be done to support your airway while they are doing the biopsy. I don't know where your tumors are in the neck, but intubation or use of an airway and an ambu bag are a couple of options that the team has to make sure you are getting the air that you need while they are performing the surgery.  There are also other more invasive things they can do if it becomes a true emergency, but I believe that since the surgeons already know where in the neck your tumors are located, they have a contingency plan to assist in maintaining your airway in case you get in any trouble.  Sometimes, really odd and strange things happen to people during any type of surgery, but I have to believe that your team has done their due diligence.   I would also recommend asking them, either the surgeon or the anesthesiologist, how they would manage it if you ran into trouble.  Hope this has put your mind at ease somewhat.  Good Luck. Pulling for you. 

Momrn5
          Participant

Hi Artie, I have been following your story and just needed to reply to this. There are many things that can be done to support your airway while they are doing the biopsy. I don't know where your tumors are in the neck, but intubation or use of an airway and an ambu bag are a couple of options that the team has to make sure you are getting the air that you need while they are performing the surgery.  There are also other more invasive things they can do if it becomes a true emergency, but I believe that since the surgeons already know where in the neck your tumors are located, they have a contingency plan to assist in maintaining your airway in case you get in any trouble.  Sometimes, really odd and strange things happen to people during any type of surgery, but I have to believe that your team has done their due diligence.   I would also recommend asking them, either the surgeon or the anesthesiologist, how they would manage it if you ran into trouble.  Hope this has put your mind at ease somewhat.  Good Luck. Pulling for you. 

mom123
              Participant

Hi Artie,

I agree with the previous post. My son's tumor in the neck, was biopsied today and a tube was placed to make sure his airways are open (this is swallowing issues).

I know that everyhing will be fine. looking forward to hear that the surgery was successfult.

Best wishes,

mom

mom123
                Participant

Hi Artie,

I agree with the previous post. My son's tumor in the neck, was biopsied today and a tube was placed to make sure his airways are open (this is swallowing issues).

I know that everyhing will be fine. looking forward to hear that the surgery was successfult.

Best wishes,

mom

mom123
                  Participant

Hi Artie,

Best wishes,

mom

Momrn5
                  Participant

Lil0909
                    Participant
                      I agree with the comments above. Plus… in the 5 times (I think, ive lost count! Ugh) I’ve been put under general for surgeries, I was intubated every time…. I didn’t even realize they were going to intubation prior to surgery, but I knew when I woke up because I had a sore throat and the nurse said that was due to intubation… so I’m thinking intubation is standard when under general ???

I of course think you should express your concerns to the surgeon, nurse, physicians assistant, and everyone involved in the surgery! I would be telling everyone! But I’m sure there are precautions they will take so everything will be ok.

Good luck!!!!

Lil0909
                      Participant
                        I agree with the comments above. Plus… in the 5 times (I think, ive lost count! Ugh) I’ve been put under general for surgeries, I was intubated every time…. I didn’t even realize they were going to intubation prior to surgery, but I knew when I woke up because I had a sore throat and the nurse said that was due to intubation… so I’m thinking intubation is standard when under general ???

I of course think you should express your concerns to the surgeon, nurse, physicians assistant, and everyone involved in the surgery! I would be telling everyone! But I’m sure there are precautions they will take so everything will be ok.

Good luck!!!!

Lil0909
                        Participant

Good luck!!!!

StephyD83
                          Participant

Hi Artie-

I agree with all of the above posts. I would be sure to let everyone know of this issue tomorrow I am sure they will make sure you are able to breath.

Good luck & I am prayign for you!!!

Stephanie

StephyD83
                            Participant

Hi Artie-

I agree with all of the above posts. I would be sure to let everyone know of this issue tomorrow I am sure they will make sure you are able to breath.

Stephanie

StephyD83
                              Participant

Hi Artie-

Stephanie

arthurjedi007
                                Participant

Hmm. So it is serious like I thought. Well these folks know nothing about my case until I'm put on their assembly line tomorrow.

What I also don't get is why they just can't do a needle biopsy because the shoulder tumor is right there looking like a grapefruit?

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                  Participant

Hmm. So it is serious like I thought. Well these folks know nothing about my case until I'm put on their assembly line tomorrow.

What I also don't get is why they just can't do a needle biopsy because the shoulder tumor is right there looking like a grapefruit?

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                    Participant

Artie

Bubbles
                                      Participant

Oh, Artie.  I am so sorry for all the pain, worry, and fear you have endured.  Yet, you have meant so much and been so generous with all of us.  I would try to reach the surgeon's office today and ask to speak to someone about exactly what kind of incision you can expect with the biopsy and pose your question about the possibility of a needle biopsy.  You deserve a full answer to any question you may have BEFORE surgery….that is what an INFORMED consent is all about.  Addirionally, the support everyone else spoke of that will be available in your procedure is absolutely true.  Anesthesia, as well as the surgeon and nursing team will be there to perform the procedure as well as support and maintain all your health functions…from monitoring and addressing blood pressure, pain control, to respiratory effort.  They will provide as little or as much intervention needed to keep you stable and comfortable.  You should see your anethesiologist during pre-op.  That is the person that is most directly responsible for your airway.  You should be given an opportunity to ask him/her about their plans for anesthsia as well as airway support BEFORE your procedure.  Much love.  Celeste

Bubbles
                                        Participant

Oh, Artie.  I am so sorry for all the pain, worry, and fear you have endured.  Yet, you have meant so much and been so generous with all of us.  I would try to reach the surgeon's office today and ask to speak to someone about exactly what kind of incision you can expect with the biopsy and pose your question about the possibility of a needle biopsy.  You deserve a full answer to any question you may have BEFORE surgery….that is what an INFORMED consent is all about.  Addirionally, the support everyone else spoke of that will be available in your procedure is absolutely true.  Anesthesia, as well as the surgeon and nursing team will be there to perform the procedure as well as support and maintain all your health functions…from monitoring and addressing blood pressure, pain control, to respiratory effort.  They will provide as little or as much intervention needed to keep you stable and comfortable.  You should see your anethesiologist during pre-op.  That is the person that is most directly responsible for your airway.  You should be given an opportunity to ask him/her about their plans for anesthsia as well as airway support BEFORE your procedure.  Much love.  Celeste

tschmith
                                            Participant

Hi Artie!   I didn't see this post until early Friday evening.  I hope your biopsy went well.  I look forward to hearing from you!

Keeping you in my prayers!

Terrie

tschmith
                                              Participant

Hi Artie!   I didn't see this post until early Friday evening.  I hope your biopsy went well.  I look forward to hearing from you!

Terrie

tschmith
                                                Participant

Terrie

Bubbles
                                                Participant

arthurjedi007
                                                  Participant

Thank you everyone. I appreciate it. Once I got there things went ok. I feel kind of silly because it was such an easy procedure. The receptionist got a funny look on her face and said they usually do not do anethesia there. It was just an easy ultrasound guided needle biopsy with me propped up just fine in bed almost like my recliner wide awake. They could not have done a better job.

I have no idea why there was such a hassle getting it done. Took 29 days. I got a voice mail that came in after the procedure started from my nurse explaining the procedure would not knock me out and they would not bother my neck. I guess better late than never.

Never did learn why the other surgeon I would have still waited at least two more weeks for this told my doc he could not remove part of these tumors. I can understand the shoulder with all nerves and stuff could be risky. But the collar which has grown into my neck pretty much these 29 days causing all these choking and swallowing issues I would have thought he could easily do. Just makes no sense.

Anyway I start radiation on the shoulder and collar tumors which includes the neck stuff Monday. Won't be easy. I just hope it helps with this swallowing issue. The radiation doc already said my swallowing will probably get worse with the radiation and he has something to help that numbs it.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                    Participant

Thank you everyone. I appreciate it. Once I got there things went ok. I feel kind of silly because it was such an easy procedure. The receptionist got a funny look on her face and said they usually do not do anethesia there. It was just an easy ultrasound guided needle biopsy with me propped up just fine in bed almost like my recliner wide awake. They could not have done a better job.

I have no idea why there was such a hassle getting it done. Took 29 days. I got a voice mail that came in after the procedure started from my nurse explaining the procedure would not knock me out and they would not bother my neck. I guess better late than never.

Never did learn why the other surgeon I would have still waited at least two more weeks for this told my doc he could not remove part of these tumors. I can understand the shoulder with all nerves and stuff could be risky. But the collar which has grown into my neck pretty much these 29 days causing all these choking and swallowing issues I would have thought he could easily do. Just makes no sense.

Anyway I start radiation on the shoulder and collar tumors which includes the neck stuff Monday. Won't be easy. I just hope it helps with this swallowing issue. The radiation doc already said my swallowing will probably get worse with the radiation and he has something to help that numbs it.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                      Participant

Artie

tschmith
                                                          Participant

Glad to hear from you and that all went well!  Will be sending you prayers and positive thoughts as you begin radiation next week!

Terrie

tschmith
                                                            Participant

Glad to hear from you and that all went well!  Will be sending you prayers and positive thoughts as you begin radiation next week!

Terrie

Maureen038
                                                              Participant

I'm so glad things went much easier than you thought Artie! I'm hoping next week goes well for you too! Sending prayers and positive thoughts too!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                                Participant

I'm so glad things went much easier than you thought Artie! I'm hoping next week goes well for you too! Sending prayers and positive thoughts too!

Maureen

Bubbles
                                                                  Participant

So glad it went easier than you had feared!!!  Will have all fingers and toes crossed that things improve rapidly for you next week!!!  c

Bubbles
                                                                    Participant

So glad it went easier than you had feared!!!  Will have all fingers and toes crossed that things improve rapidly for you next week!!!  c

Bubbles
                                                                      Participant

Maureen038
                                                                        Participant

Maureen

tschmith
                                                                          Participant

Terrie

_Paul_
                                                                          Participant

Hey Artie,

You are in my prayers a lot, and I am praying you have a good response to the radiation and it kicks that beast of a tumor of yours back into the corner where it belongs and that they can manage any choking/swallow issues you might have.

– Paul.

_Paul_
                                                                            Participant

Hey Artie,

You are in my prayers a lot, and I am praying you have a good response to the radiation and it kicks that beast of a tumor of yours back into the corner where it belongs and that they can manage any choking/swallow issues you might have.

– Paul.

_Paul_
                                                                              Participant

Hey Artie,

– Paul.

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics