The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Necessary to re-excise?

Forums General Melanoma Community Necessary to re-excise?

Participant

My son (age 9) had a spot removed from his heel. It was removed via punch and apparently was mildly atypical, but with margin(s) involved. The derm thinks completely unnecessary to re-excise. I am bummed there are margins (although thankful it is nothing)  Would it be overkill to take him elsewhere to re-excise? I have read that acral nevi on kids appear atypical under the scope anyways. It was 1mm,dark and on his sole? It's also painful to have a shot there, but will do it if need be! I'm not comfortable asking the derm to do it– he really didn't even want to remove it in the first place. Another derm thought it was slightly atypical but she couldn't do a punch so I went to him. guess that backfired!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        curious12
        Participant

Hi, i just wanted to add since I got the path report. It says MINIMAL cytologic atypia and extends to one peripheral margin. (Final diagnos- still says Mild Atypia) I'm feeling better about watching but would love input. Janner? : )

Janner
            Participant

Based on location and mild atypia, I'd be ok watching it.  If the pigment grows back, I know that I would probably re-excise, but I have had three primaries and high risk.  You should probably discuss with the derm if that happens.   It sounds like it really is totally benign and I've had shots in the heel and know they aren't fun.

curious12
              Participant

Thanks–and absolutely if pigment grows back, it is coming off (I already told derm that and he said yes)
                He just didn't think taking more off now was necessary. This isn't my "main" derm… but he will take anything off, does punches, sends to a good lab and gets results within 48 hours. Only thing I don't love is how casual he is.  I got a little panicky when I saw you had written that a biopsy can trigger something (I did a search on it) I suppose I could always ask the derm who said it should come off, for her opinion… but I probably should put it to bed! Thanks again  : )

JC
                Participant

"a biopsy can trigger something"

What does that mean?  That a biopsy can actually trigger getting melanoma?  What if you get a cut or just regular surgery, any kind of incisions/break in the skin can trigger something?

JC
                  Participant

What does that mean?  That a biopsy can actually trigger getting melanoma?  What if you get a cut or just regular surgery, any kind of incisions/break in the skin can trigger something?

JC
                    Participant

JC
                      Participant

" I got a little panicky when I saw you had written that a biopsy can trigger something (I did a search on it)"

Can someone post the information about this (biopsy triggering something)

JC
                        Participant

" I got a little panicky when I saw you had written that a biopsy can trigger something (I did a search on it)"

JC
                          Participant

curious12
                            Participant

Thanks–and absolutely if pigment grows back, it is coming off (I already told derm that and he said yes)
                              He just didn't think taking more off now was necessary. This isn't my "main" derm… but he will take anything off, does punches, sends to a good lab and gets results within 48 hours. Only thing I don't love is how casual he is.  I got a little panicky when I saw you had written that a biopsy can trigger something (I did a search on it) I suppose I could always ask the derm who said it should come off, for her opinion… but I probably should put it to bed! Thanks again  : )

curious12
                              Participant

Janner
                                Participant

Based on location and mild atypia, I'd be ok watching it.  If the pigment grows back, I know that I would probably re-excise, but I have had three primaries and high risk.  You should probably discuss with the derm if that happens.   It sounds like it really is totally benign and I've had shots in the heel and know they aren't fun.

Janner
                                  Participant

curious12
                                  Participant

Hi, i just wanted to add since I got the path report. It says MINIMAL cytologic atypia and extends to one peripheral margin. (Final diagnos- still says Mild Atypia) I'm feeling better about watching but would love input. Janner? : )

curious12
                                    Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics