The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NCI in Bethesda following Ipi

Forums General Melanoma Community NCI in Bethesda following Ipi

Participant

Anybody have an opinion on NCI in Bethesda for stage IV?  This was the first place mentioned to us with initial diagnosis.  Just trying to line up a plan "C" following scans due to be done in 2 weeks.

Anybody have an opinion on NCI in Bethesda for stage IV?  This was the first place mentioned to us with initial diagnosis.  Just trying to line up a plan "C" following scans due to be done in 2 weeks.

Judging by the way my husband is feeling at this point at almost week 21 in the Ipi trial  I'm afraid there is going to be a plan "C".  Very strange how he has roller coastered from feeling fairly decent during the last several weeks to feeling this bad again.  I'm not going to give up on Ipi just yet but I am beginning to have some doubts about responding to it.

Any information or guidance on next plan would be greatly appreciated.  He has done IL-2 and finished with Ipi.  He does have bone mets and having alot of pain from that.  Maybe some radiation for pain relief?  Also what pain med's has worked for others?  He has been lucky and only taken Ibuprofen 800mg. and an occasional Hydrocodone (doesn't like) but it's time for stronger now.  Thanks for any info. 

Linda/Kentucky

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        emilypen
        Participant

HI Linda,

My husband has bone mets as well, he takes 60mg slow release morphine every 12hrs plus Advil, definitely helps. He also had a course of chemo ( did not work at all) and 5 sessions of radiation and that made a huge difference on the pain. He feels 80% less pain now that some of the bone mets have been radiated.

Have you looked into this trial? http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01155453

Our oncologist wanted him to do this before Ipi, as he thought it had a better chance for sustained outcome. If it doesn't work than Ipi would be our next option. He started last week and so far so good.

Stay strong,

Em

emilypen
          Participant

HI Linda,

My husband has bone mets as well, he takes 60mg slow release morphine every 12hrs plus Advil, definitely helps. He also had a course of chemo ( did not work at all) and 5 sessions of radiation and that made a huge difference on the pain. He feels 80% less pain now that some of the bone mets have been radiated.

Have you looked into this trial? http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01155453

Our oncologist wanted him to do this before Ipi, as he thought it had a better chance for sustained outcome. If it doesn't work than Ipi would be our next option. He started last week and so far so good.

Stay strong,

Em

Kevin from Atlanta
            Participant

Hello Linda,

I have tried a few pain meds.

Lortox- Only when I had a big day, aka going to play Pokemon the card game. Friday nights with my son.

Morphine and Hydro-cotin(sp)- really screwed my stomach up

I have been on the fentayl patch for the past week, results are finally showing up. My stomach is doing fine so far but it feels like living in a fog. Hopefully that will work itself out. I also take 800 mgs of Ibprofen in the morning.

I am on a wait and see on the Ipi. I recieved the 20th weeks scans last week. They were horrible. So in four more weeks I will get scans again and take it from there. There is a 10 to 20% of being a late responder. If I do any others treatments, I will not be able to continue Ipi. You need to throw that into your  into your timeline.

Kevin from Atlanta
              Participant

Hello Linda,

I have tried a few pain meds.

Lortox- Only when I had a big day, aka going to play Pokemon the card game. Friday nights with my son.

Morphine and Hydro-cotin(sp)- really screwed my stomach up

I have been on the fentayl patch for the past week, results are finally showing up. My stomach is doing fine so far but it feels like living in a fog. Hopefully that will work itself out. I also take 800 mgs of Ibprofen in the morning.

I am on a wait and see on the Ipi. I recieved the 20th weeks scans last week. They were horrible. So in four more weeks I will get scans again and take it from there. There is a 10 to 20% of being a late responder. If I do any others treatments, I will not be able to continue Ipi. You need to throw that into your  into your timeline.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics