The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Naturopath

Forums General Melanoma Community Naturopath

Participant

I have decided to consult with a naturopath to see if there is anything that I am comfortable with to complement the treatments that I have and will be receiving from the traditional medical system. Has anyone else done this?

I have decided to consult with a naturopath to see if there is anything that I am comfortable with to complement the treatments that I have and will be receiving from the traditional medical system. Has anyone else done this?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carmon in NM
        Participant

I've been seeing a naturopathic doctor since I was diagnosed in 2008. You have to be sure that the person you see has been medically trained so that he/she knows what will compliment and support and not block or even counteract your medical treatments.

Dr Stauber has advised me on what herbs and supplements I should stop prior to and after surgery and also during chemo. She has also helped me with diet and prescribed supplements to support specific treatments.

Since I have gotten this kind of naturopathic supportive treatment along with acupuncture and chiropractic from the time I was diagnosed, it's impossible for me to say whether it has made a difference or not. I do know that I feel better after all of these treatments. I've recovered quickly from surgeries and managed a clinical drug trial with minimal down time and was declared in full remission at the end of the trial on 4/13/2011.

I really think it is a personal decision to make and if you feel it will help and feel good about the process, then go for it!

Carmon in NM – Stage IIIB 9/2008, Stage IV 6/2010 with brain and adrenal mets, NED since 4/13/2011.

Carmon in NM
          Participant

I've been seeing a naturopathic doctor since I was diagnosed in 2008. You have to be sure that the person you see has been medically trained so that he/she knows what will compliment and support and not block or even counteract your medical treatments.

Dr Stauber has advised me on what herbs and supplements I should stop prior to and after surgery and also during chemo. She has also helped me with diet and prescribed supplements to support specific treatments.

Since I have gotten this kind of naturopathic supportive treatment along with acupuncture and chiropractic from the time I was diagnosed, it's impossible for me to say whether it has made a difference or not. I do know that I feel better after all of these treatments. I've recovered quickly from surgeries and managed a clinical drug trial with minimal down time and was declared in full remission at the end of the trial on 4/13/2011.

I really think it is a personal decision to make and if you feel it will help and feel good about the process, then go for it!

Carmon in NM – Stage IIIB 9/2008, Stage IV 6/2010 with brain and adrenal mets, NED since 4/13/2011.

jimjoeb
            Participant

Thanks Camerin. Prior to my melanoma diagnosis, I was already seeing a chiropractor, massage therapist and nutritionist on a regular basis.

The naturopath that I have been reffered to is Dr. Hania Armengol who has a very good reputation. I'll see what she has to say and make a decision once I have hear her rcommendations and the recommendations of my traditional medical team.

jimjoeb
              Participant

Thanks Camerin. Prior to my melanoma diagnosis, I was already seeing a chiropractor, massage therapist and nutritionist on a regular basis.

The naturopath that I have been reffered to is Dr. Hania Armengol who has a very good reputation. I'll see what she has to say and make a decision once I have hear her rcommendations and the recommendations of my traditional medical team.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics