The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nail hematoma or melanoma? (PICS)

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Nail hematoma or melanoma? (PICS)

Participant

Hello everyone

A few months ago I developed what I thought was a bruise (I hit hard objects with my feet all the time), under my right foot thumb nail. It has been about 2 to 3 months or maybe even a little more, and the supposed bruise doesn’t go away. Apart from this, a small mole also developed in the sole of that same foot.

I have been to 4 dermatologists and all of them gave me different diagnoses. Two of them diagnosed it as an hematoma and a simple bening mole, one of them as a onychomicosis and a bening mole, and the last one (an older man who seemed to be the most knowledgeable and with the most expertise) advised me to get a biopsy as soon as possible because there is the possibility of a diagnosis of subungual melanoma, although he also agreed about the bening nature of the mole.

After taking lots of pictures, I selected these five which I believe represent the lesion with the clearest quality under different lighting conditions. I can see in the brightest picture some indication of strikes which would indicate melanoma, but in the other pictures the lines are not so apparent and it might be because of the brightness of the flash?

My biopsy is coming soon, and the lab results a few days later, but this situation made me feel really worried, especially the apparent strikes on the lesion.

A big hello and thank you to you all and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Link with pictures

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dOO-Pv74vMwClVERa-eBsoeHkgzRpkYW

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        SABKLYN
        Participant

Abruise will typically grow out over time and disappear.  If that’s not the case with the one in your nail bed, I would highly recommend a biopsy.  Better to be safe and get it completely checked out

kcmtnbiker
            Participant

Good call SABKLYN. I have brused many a nail and none ever looked like that and didn't start to grow out within a few days.

Janner
              Participant

Nail bruises can take 6 months to grow out.   Certainly worth checking but bruises here don't just disappear in a few days.

SABKLYN
                Participant

But you would see progression toward growing out.  In other words if over 2-3months the area of concern appeared to not grow out at all, this would be more reason to consult a derm

SABKLYN
                  Participant

But you would see progression toward growing out.  In other words if over 2-3months the area of concern appeared to not grow out at all, this would be more reason to consult a derm

Viewing 0 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics