The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

nagging stomach issues…

Forums General Melanoma Community nagging stomach issues…

Participant

Hi all.

For about 4 weeks now, i have been plagued by severe nausea and an upset stomach. i saw my onc who ordered a abdomen scan, that came back with negative results for any tumors, cysts, ulcers, etc…

during the past 2 weeks, i have lost over 15lbs…. i have no appetite and just the smell of food makes me nauseas. i am managing a pb&j or grilled cheese every couple of days, but not much else.

my doc wants to send me to a GI doc for a scope….

i will probably have this done soon, but wanted to see if anyone has had any similar experiences –

Hi all.

For about 4 weeks now, i have been plagued by severe nausea and an upset stomach. i saw my onc who ordered a abdomen scan, that came back with negative results for any tumors, cysts, ulcers, etc…

during the past 2 weeks, i have lost over 15lbs…. i have no appetite and just the smell of food makes me nauseas. i am managing a pb&j or grilled cheese every couple of days, but not much else.

my doc wants to send me to a GI doc for a scope….

i will probably have this done soon, but wanted to see if anyone has had any similar experiences –

im not currently on any meds that would alter my eating habits and the progression on the stomach problems is increasing. i have considered this could be a stomach bug, but OTC medicines like pepto do not help either.

thanks for any input….

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Rebecca and Bob
        Participant

Hi,

My husband had similar symptoms for several weeks, then the weekend before Thanksgiving he just felt like laying on the couch. He had nausea and cramps and a feeling of bloating. Just to give you a little history – 16 months prior he had surgery to remove 3 intestinal mets. So the belief was that it was back and these were similar symptoms for him, so he was very upset.

He had just had a CTSCAN a month prior and nothing showed up so he did a colonoscopy and endoscopy and another CTSCAN. Everything was good except he had Irritable bowel, so they put him on prilosec. He has been great since, part of it may have been piece of mind. I don't know, but get the scopes done because you need to know either way.

My husband did not experience any dramatic weight loss, but he did feel full.

Good luck and I hope it is just IBS or a stomach bug!

Rebecca 

Rebecca and Bob
          Participant

Hi,

My husband had similar symptoms for several weeks, then the weekend before Thanksgiving he just felt like laying on the couch. He had nausea and cramps and a feeling of bloating. Just to give you a little history – 16 months prior he had surgery to remove 3 intestinal mets. So the belief was that it was back and these were similar symptoms for him, so he was very upset.

He had just had a CTSCAN a month prior and nothing showed up so he did a colonoscopy and endoscopy and another CTSCAN. Everything was good except he had Irritable bowel, so they put him on prilosec. He has been great since, part of it may have been piece of mind. I don't know, but get the scopes done because you need to know either way.

My husband did not experience any dramatic weight loss, but he did feel full.

Good luck and I hope it is just IBS or a stomach bug!

Rebecca 

dian in spokane
            Participant

yikes.. no chance you are pregnant right? <G>

I think going to the GI doc is a great idea. Maybe even without the scope, they might have some idea of what's causing your symptoms.

I hope you get better soon.

…I could stand to lose 15 pounds. or.. 55.

get well soon!

dian in spokane
              Participant

yikes.. no chance you are pregnant right? <G>

I think going to the GI doc is a great idea. Maybe even without the scope, they might have some idea of what's causing your symptoms.

I hope you get better soon.

…I could stand to lose 15 pounds. or.. 55.

get well soon!

nicoli
                Participant

Just a thought….. I have frequent stomach, bowel problems due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (that label just means you have frequent stomach and bowels problems!) and I found that Pepto Bismol and off brands of the same stuff actually make those symptoms WORSE. Due to the magnesium or something. I stopped taking it and was much better by the next day.

nicoli
                  Participant

Just a thought….. I have frequent stomach, bowel problems due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome (that label just means you have frequent stomach and bowels problems!) and I found that Pepto Bismol and off brands of the same stuff actually make those symptoms WORSE. Due to the magnesium or something. I stopped taking it and was much better by the next day.

nicoli
                    Participant

nicoli
                      Participant

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics