The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mystery Bump on Child

Forums General Melanoma Community Mystery Bump on Child

Participant

Hi! I've had melanoma in-situ and my sibling has. We have tons of moles and I've probably had 50+ removed. I'm pretty knowledgeable on all things melanoma. My 8 year old son has a a new small, red/flesh colored bump on his forehead. It's very harmless looking (doesn't itch or hurt) but it isn't going away. It has only been maybe 12-14 days. I know melanoma in kids can present this way. I WILL get it biopsied if it doesn't go away of course, but what timeframe do you think is reasonable to wait? I was thinking 2 more weeks and then get it cut out, but is that crazy? I don't want to let my anxiety take over and cut into his face too soon! Don'T care about scars, but realize there are a million benign things that are more likely. Saw a derm today– she wasn't sure. Said looks harmless- – maybe cyst or insect bite. There is no head to it. She said to come back in 4-6 weeks if still there.. but I don't even want to wait that long!!   He also has a very dark brand new dark spot on sole of foot that two derms say looks fine, but I don't like it (it's 1mm) It's almost black and on the sole of foot.. considering biopsy as well.. Would love to know if I'm being reasonable or overboard. thanks!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        A
        Participant

Most likely it is just nothing. How big is this bump (in mm)? Could you post a picture of it?
          Did derm look ander a dermoscop on this leasion? From what I read, dermoscopy is still helpful for amelanotic melanomas. 

curious12
            Participant

Hi- it is maybe 2-3mm. I will see if I can figure out how to post a pic. It was a PA who saw it and did not use scope. I may see derm who can use the scope next week. Even if it looked fine w/it, I would still biopsy it just in case. So my plan is now to schedule appointment for biopsy in about 2 weeks if still there. Seeing a derm beforehand would mainly be to alleviate my stress. I am leaving it alone.. I tried neosporin/alcohol/pimple medicine, etc.. none of which made a difference. It is on his forehead where he wore a sweaty hat and helmet for weeks at camp… so maybe something with sweat, but doesn't look infected or staphlike. Thanks for your reply.

curious12
              Participant

Hi- it is maybe 2-3mm. I will see if I can figure out how to post a pic. It was a PA who saw it and did not use scope. I may see derm who can use the scope next week. Even if it looked fine w/it, I would still biopsy it just in case. So my plan is now to schedule appointment for biopsy in about 2 weeks if still there. Seeing a derm beforehand would mainly be to alleviate my stress. I am leaving it alone.. I tried neosporin/alcohol/pimple medicine, etc.. none of which made a difference. It is on his forehead where he wore a sweaty hat and helmet for weeks at camp… so maybe something with sweat, but doesn't look infected or staphlike. Thanks for your reply.

curious12
                Participant

A
                Participant

Most likely it is just nothing. How big is this bump (in mm)? Could you post a picture of it?
                  Did derm look ander a dermoscop on this leasion? From what I read, dermoscopy is still helpful for amelanotic melanomas. 

A
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics