The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My Viking Warrior

Forums General Melanoma Community My Viking Warrior

Participant

Hi Everbody.

Hi Everbody.

I joined this forum in the hopes of finding out what new treatments and trials were out there.  My husband, Erik was diagnosed with Stage 2 melanoma in 1998 and after a wider excision, he was given BCG injections for 3 years.  We thought we had kissed this disease goodbye but then in 2004 it reared it's ugly head again.  Erik found a swollen lymph node under his left arm and our worst fears were confirmed.  What followed was 6 months of low dose interferon followed by 6 months of decarbazine and then a further 6 months of Interferon.  He then had radiation under his arm.  We held our breath and waited and years went by and we slowly put the dreaded MM to the back of our minds.  For another 6 years Erik was NED. Then in May 2011 we decided to move our family from South Africa to Norway to give our young sons a better life. All was going well and then on the 8th of November 2011we received the devastating news that not only had the melanoma returned but that he had multiple tumours.  Erik was a courageous viking warrior and he was not going to give up without a fight.  He had too much to live for!  After 6 long agonizing weeks while we waited for BRAF results from Germany, he finally got the go ahead to start the Zelboraf trial.  On the 18 of December he started the trial and the results were nothing short of miraculous!  Within a week all the soft tissue tumours had disappeared.  Before starting treatment, Erik was unable to walk as he had a massive tumour pushing on the side of his spinal cord.  Within 2 days he was walking absolutely perfectly again and he did not get out of breath when walking 10 paces.  He read Lance Armstrong's book and was inspired to do the same.  Each day he would have a little ritual when he took his bombs (as he called them) He would talk to each one and imagine it attacking a specific tumour.   We had a wonderful Christmas and things were going well. Then at the end of January Erik had a seizure.  A MRI revealed 9 spots on the brain but as they had not scanned the brain previously, we were not sure if they had been there all along.  Erik had his first protocol CT on the 8 of February and his oncologist was thrilled with the results.  All the tumours had shrunk, some more significantly than others.  Two weeks later he was in a lot of pain again.  He had significant pain in his right thigh and groin area.  After not being able to control the pain effectively with Oxycontin and Oxynorm, we went back to the oncology ward at the hospital where they admitted him.  Further CT's and MRI's revealed that in 2 short weeks the Zelboraf had stopped working and the tumours were all back to their original size and bigger.  On top of this, Erik developed an infection that they were battling to fight.  He managed 1 day of decarbazine but his infection levels were to high to continue. Erik never gave up and when given the bad news he would just say, "okay, what next"  Sadly this courageous husband and father passed away on the 6th of March after a battle bravely fought.  It was just 2 days before his 44th birthday. I have been so inspired by reading all your stories and I would often relay them to Erik.  This is the first time that I have posted on this forum but I felt I owed it to my brave husband to share his story.  I wish all of you many years of NED!

Leanne

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        melissa ann
        Participant

Leanne, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your husband.  I thank you for sharing his "batttle" story.  I wish you and your family peace through this sad time.  Love and prayers to you,  Melissa

melissa ann
          Participant

Leanne, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your husband.  I thank you for sharing his "batttle" story.  I wish you and your family peace through this sad time.  Love and prayers to you,  Melissa

melissa ann
            Participant

Gene_S
              Participant

My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family at this time.  He was a true warrior and what a great story of such a couragous fight.  Remember the good times as he will live on in your memory.

Thanks for sharing.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene Stage IV)

Gene_S
                Participant

My thoughts and prayers are with you and the family at this time.  He was a true warrior and what a great story of such a couragous fight.  Remember the good times as he will live on in your memory.

Thanks for sharing.

Gene_S
                  Participant

Thanks for sharing.

AlisonC
                    Participant
                      Leanne,
                      I’m so sorry for your loss. Your husband sounds like he was a very courageous man and he will be a role model for your boys. I hope your new life in Norway brings all the positive changes from here on in that you and Erik planned for. Thank you for sharing his story.

AlisonC
                      Stage IIIB
                      NED since 2001.

AlisonC
                      Participant
                        Leanne,
                        I’m so sorry for your loss. Your husband sounds like he was a very courageous man and he will be a role model for your boys. I hope your new life in Norway brings all the positive changes from here on in that you and Erik planned for. Thank you for sharing his story.

AlisonC
                        Stage IIIB
                        NED since 2001.

AlisonC
                        Participant
                          Leanne,

AlisonC
                          Stage IIIB
                          NED since 2001.

aldakota22
                          Participant

So sorry for your loss.Erik was a real warrior.Keep him always in your heart.May God grant you peace.  Al

aldakota22
                            Participant

So sorry for your loss.Erik was a real warrior.Keep him always in your heart.May God grant you peace.  Al

aldakota22
                              Participant

Phil S
                                Participant
                                  Leanne, Thank you so much for sharing your husband’s brave battle, another testament to the power of love and determination. Erik sounds like he was an amazing warrior, and a cherished father and husband. Please know that you are in our thoughts, take good care of yourself, cherish your warmest memories, and hug your sons. I am sure this is a sad, scary, and lonely time for you, but the people that read this website, totally understand what you and Erik have been through and admire that you were able to tell his story in such a poignant way. God Bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                  Phil S
                                  Participant
                                    Leanne, Thank you so much for sharing your husband’s brave battle, another testament to the power of love and determination. Erik sounds like he was an amazing warrior, and a cherished father and husband. Please know that you are in our thoughts, take good care of yourself, cherish your warmest memories, and hug your sons. I am sure this is a sad, scary, and lonely time for you, but the people that read this website, totally understand what you and Erik have been through and admire that you were able to tell his story in such a poignant way. God Bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                    Phil S
                                    Participant
                                      MeNDave
                                      Participant

Leanne,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  I wish you peace in the coming months…

MeNDave
                                        Participant

Leanne,

MeNDave
                                          Participant

Leanne,

lovingwifedeb
                                            Participant
                                              Leanne,

I am so sorry for your loss as one wife of a melanoma warrior to another. My heart aches for what your family is going through as many others face today.

Peace and light.

Deb
                                              lovingwife to Bob, May 27th, 2011
                                              redesign08.blogspot.com

lovingwifedeb
                                              Participant
                                                Leanne,

I am so sorry for your loss as one wife of a melanoma warrior to another. My heart aches for what your family is going through as many others face today.

Peace and light.

Deb
                                                redesign08.blogspot.com

deardad
                                                  Participant

Sorry Leanne to hear that your dear husband has passed away.

Sounds like he was a real fighter to the end.

My thoughts are with you and your family through this sad time.

Nahmi 

deardad
                                                    Participant

Nahmi 

deardad
                                                      Participant

Nahmi 

lovingwifedeb
                                                      Participant
                                                        Leanne,

Peace and light.

Deb
                                                        redesign08.blogspot.com

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics