The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MY UNIQUE SON POSSIBLY HAS A MELANOMA.‏

Forums Pediatric & AYA Melanoma Community MY UNIQUE SON POSSIBLY HAS A MELANOMA.‏

Participant

(I'm desperate, please help me) I'm from Brasil, my name is Kennedy Wanderley, I am a simple banking employee with few conditions and natural from a city named Caicó-RN and living into the Paraíba state since 1985 (25 years) and I have only one son named William Kennedy of only 12 years old who has since the early age shown signs characteristic of what medicine calls dysplastic nevi (I think this is the name). Today at 12 years old I think he has more than 30 signs on the back (mostly) and some close to the chest.

I'm always worried about these signs because I noticed that a couple of them were growing up and blackening in the center with enlarged verticaly (plain before, now 2 or 3 mm high). Concerned with that, I decided to remove one on them with a plastic surgeon when he was about 7 years old (2007) and at that time I remember asking an detailed evaluation of it, but until now have not received a formal result, only verbal informations of negative result from biopsy material.

From that time on I've got more relaxed, but I always get attentive and demanding that my wife sought a dermatologist regularly to keep up me informed, but she relegated this situation. My wife has a salon within a medical center here in Campina Grande, Paraíba State called MEDICAL CENTER SAN PIETRO, where she has several clients who are doctors, including a three dermatologists. But what she tells me is that although almost all of them had already superficially examined the boy, including his Pediatrician, none warned of the danger of that kind of signs, despite our insistence that he needed to be examined.

Earlier this year (March), when we went five days on a beach, I noticed that one of the signs was irritated, half white and appearing signs of keratosis (I think this is the name). I was very worried and alerted again my wife of going to the dermatologist and she returned saying that as soon as we returned would look for one. With the difficulty in finding experts in Brazil and my carelessness the time gone by, only 15 days ago, I take a look acurately in the boy and took some pictures and then enlarge them, and investigate a little about melanome. Despite not being a doctor took a huge shock and I'm weak in the knees so far. Find a doctor friend of mine in the city of Joao Pessoa, Dr. José Romero (famous and experienced surgeon) who apparently was also alarmed and referred me to an oncologist surgeon in João Pessoa (PB) I'm going tomorrow 01/11/2011.

I am very concerned and ask for the love of God that someone in the multidisciplinary  GROUP WHO STUDY  MELANOMA to give me some hope in the name of compassion, to monitor even at distance through the sending of pictures of the sings, examinations and details of the procedures to be adopted that I can send to you. I say this because it is my only child and I don't what to treaty him blindly with only one opinion. Please help me.

Moreover, I know you are attuned to the most advanced centers in the world and can leave me about news on the topic. Finally, I can only pray that this e-mail fall into very humane hands, pious and sensitive and also can give any small relief to  my family already suffering from lung cancer in my mother aged 77, and a vocal cord cancer in my father at age 73 and now a possible melanoma on my son with only 12 years old.

FOR GOD'S SAKE, HELP ME. Follow the photos. Note: malanoma unknown cases in the family, but his mother is blonde with few signs and my mother is white with some signs and his maternal grandmother, also has many signs.

Thank you very much. God bless you.

kennedy wanderley de souza    

emails: [email protected] or [email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/#!/kennedy.wanderley              

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

I am sorry you are so concerned over your son.  Please take a deep breath and relax., hopefully things may not be nearly as bad as they seem.  Here are 2 centers in Brazil that are recommended for Melanoma, if after having the suspicious mole removed, it is positive for melanoma get to one of those centers as soon as possible.  You can have to initial biopsy done by a qualified physician just make sure they take the whole specimen. You do not want what they call a Shave Biopsy because that may not get the entire depth and in case it is melanoma you'll wnt to know the true depth of the tumor.  You seem very well informed already, good for you.  But don't let you fears pour over to your son. 

Biocancer Clinical Research
          Santa Iphigenia
          Belo-Horizonte, Minas Gerais
          30150-281 Brazil
          +55 31 3224 2030
          http://www.biocancer.com.br

Brazilian Dermatological Society

Av. Rio Branco
          39-18 andar-CEP 20.090-003
          (21)2253-6747

Please keep us informed and Best of Luck.

mary
          Stage 3
            kennedy
            Participant

I have no word to thank you by your simple but wonderful  words. Do you speak portuguese ? You was the first person who gave words of solidarity. Now i'm listening my wife and my son laughing in the other room, they don't realize the gravity of the situation, dispite i had explained to her, she preffer believe that he has nothing. I will take your councel, take a deep breath and go to the doctor tomorrow and wait the biopsy. Thank you very much indeed.

lhaley
              Participant

There are many who have dysplastic nevus.  That means many moles that change. Yes, they need to be watched but that doesn't mean that all are melanoma.   Many have changes that are still just dyspastic nevus. 

You had commented on waiting 15 days. Many have to wait much longer till surgey would be planned and handled.

One thought is to take pictures of your sons moles.  Always take pictures in the same light, same distance.  This could help to actually see if his moles change. 

Best wishes,

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

There are many who have dysplastic nevus.  That means many moles that change. Yes, they need to be watched but that doesn't mean that all are melanoma.   Many have changes that are still just dyspastic nevus. 

You had commented on waiting 15 days. Many have to wait much longer till surgey would be planned and handled.

One thought is to take pictures of your sons moles.  Always take pictures in the same light, same distance.  This could help to actually see if his moles change. 

Best wishes,

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Linda

kennedy
                    Participant

I have no word to thank you by your simple but wonderful  words. Do you speak portuguese ? You was the first person who gave words of solidarity. Now i'm listening my wife and my son laughing in the other room, they don't realize the gravity of the situation, dispite i had explained to her, she preffer believe that he has nothing. I will take your councel, take a deep breath and go to the doctor tomorrow and wait the biopsy. Thank you very much indeed.

kennedy
                      Participant

kennedy
                        Participant

LynnLuc
                          Participant

Kennedy, I do not speak Portuguese but I actually have many many friend in Brasil and asked one to contact you. His name is Roberto and I have known him since 1998. A wonderful friend. Thoughts and prayers are with your son. Lynn

LynnLuc
                            Participant

Kennedy, I do not speak Portuguese but I actually have many many friend in Brasil and asked one to contact you. His name is Roberto and I have known him since 1998. A wonderful friend. Thoughts and prayers are with your son. Lynn

LynnLuc
                              Participant

kennedy
                                Participant

kennedy
                                  Participant

washoegal
                                  Participant

I am sorry you are so concerned over your son.  Please take a deep breath and relax., hopefully things may not be nearly as bad as they seem.  Here are 2 centers in Brazil that are recommended for Melanoma, if after having the suspicious mole removed, it is positive for melanoma get to one of those centers as soon as possible.  You can have to initial biopsy done by a qualified physician just make sure they take the whole specimen. You do not want what they call a Shave Biopsy because that may not get the entire depth and in case it is melanoma you'll wnt to know the true depth of the tumor.  You seem very well informed already, good for you.  But don't let you fears pour over to your son. 

Santa Iphigenia
                                    30150-281 Brazil
                                    +55 31 3224 2030

Av. Rio Branco
                                    (21)2253-6747

mary
                                    Stage 3
                                    washoegal
                                    Participant

Santa Iphigenia
                                      30150-281 Brazil
                                      +55 31 3224 2030

Av. Rio Branco
                                      (21)2253-6747

mary
                                      Stage 3
                                  Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics