The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My Turn For Scanxiety

Forums General Melanoma Community My Turn For Scanxiety

Participant

I'll be having my 4th Ipi infusion this coming Wednesday and, today, I had my second set of CT scans. I'll be seing my oncologist on 11/17 so probably won't know the results until then.

Fingers, toes and everything else crossed in the hopes of good clear scans.

Ann

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tim–MRF

17 days is a long time to wait. Hope you can keep the anxiety in check and focus on getting through the 4th infusion. Let's hope it is all working.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

17 days is a long time to wait. Hope you can keep the anxiety in check and focus on getting through the 4th infusion. Let's hope it is all working.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

cancersnewnormal
              Participant

Oh wow… That is a long time to carry around that kind of anxiety! I have my scans done locally, but my oncology team is 180 miles away… Sooooo… I'm always asked to bring an image disc with me. The radiology staff can typically get me a report and image disc by the next day. Interpretation of the report isn't always clear, but we've learned quite a bit over the last 3 years. Ha! We also downloaded software onto our laptop called OsiriX lite. It allows us to view the DICOM formatted images that come on the disc…. CT's, X-rays, MRI's, PET's,… Etc. Lung lesions are pretty easily identified, but anything in the guts takes a bit more of a savvy eye. Most often, the radiologist who does the report, will create a collage image of any areas of suspicion, so we've learned what to go back and look for. It may create more questions and/or panic than answers… But it also makes for some really cool "selfies"! HA HA HA! I used to send my oncologist screen shots of the side by side comparison from one scan to the next. ; ) 

youngann
                  Participant

I too have scans done locally then travel to my onc. and will pick up the cd tomorrow after my infusion appointment. Never thought of trying to read the cd myself, perhaps I'll try it tomorrow.

Ann

youngann
                    Participant

I too have scans done locally then travel to my onc. and will pick up the cd tomorrow after my infusion appointment. Never thought of trying to read the cd myself, perhaps I'll try it tomorrow.

Ann

youngann
                      Participant

Ann

Polymath
                        Participant

Hi Ann,

I have been trying to read my scans for the last couple of years.  I must give the radiologists credit for detecting things, that even my doctors can't see.  It has been very interesting and I'm starting to really get the hang of it.  Software included even lets you use measuring tools so you can compare to the radiologists report.  In that regard, you must also get the copy of radiologist report to help you understand what you are seeing and unless trained in medicine, a lot of googling terms as parts of the body and organs all have their own medical names.  I've been lucky to never have to wait long for doctors consult, I think having the scans to study in the meantime would lessen that scanxiety.  My turn again this Friday,

Gary

Polymath
                          Participant

Hi Ann,

I have been trying to read my scans for the last couple of years.  I must give the radiologists credit for detecting things, that even my doctors can't see.  It has been very interesting and I'm starting to really get the hang of it.  Software included even lets you use measuring tools so you can compare to the radiologists report.  In that regard, you must also get the copy of radiologist report to help you understand what you are seeing and unless trained in medicine, a lot of googling terms as parts of the body and organs all have their own medical names.  I've been lucky to never have to wait long for doctors consult, I think having the scans to study in the meantime would lessen that scanxiety.  My turn again this Friday,

Gary

Polymath
                            Participant

Hi Ann,

Gary

cancersnewnormal
                            Participant

Oh wow… That is a long time to carry around that kind of anxiety! I have my scans done locally, but my oncology team is 180 miles away… Sooooo… I'm always asked to bring an image disc with me. The radiology staff can typically get me a report and image disc by the next day. Interpretation of the report isn't always clear, but we've learned quite a bit over the last 3 years. Ha! We also downloaded software onto our laptop called OsiriX lite. It allows us to view the DICOM formatted images that come on the disc…. CT's, X-rays, MRI's, PET's,… Etc. Lung lesions are pretty easily identified, but anything in the guts takes a bit more of a savvy eye. Most often, the radiologist who does the report, will create a collage image of any areas of suspicion, so we've learned what to go back and look for. It may create more questions and/or panic than answers… But it also makes for some really cool "selfies"! HA HA HA! I used to send my oncologist screen shots of the side by side comparison from one scan to the next. ; ) 

cancersnewnormal
                              Participant

laulamb
                                Participant

Youngann, 

Our experiences w Melanoma are almost the same.  I too am seeing Dr Schucter (love her!) and did 4 infusions of ipi 3mg … I will have scans on Friday!  

You are in my thoughts!  

laulamb
                                  Participant

Youngann, 

Our experiences w Melanoma are almost the same.  I too am seeing Dr Schucter (love her!) and did 4 infusions of ipi 3mg … I will have scans on Friday!  

You are in my thoughts!  

laulamb
                                    Participant

Youngann, 

You are in my thoughts!  

miaka618
                                      Participant

Oh boy, that is a long time! Time to stock up on chocolate ice cream! ๐Ÿ˜‰

youngann
                                          Participant

lol…under normal circumstances, yes. But, unfortunately, I'm very nauseated for about 2 weeks after my infusion and can really only face eating chicken. My poor husband is so sick of eating chicken!

Ann

youngann
                                            Participant

lol…under normal circumstances, yes. But, unfortunately, I'm very nauseated for about 2 weeks after my infusion and can really only face eating chicken. My poor husband is so sick of eating chicken!

Ann

miaka618
                                              Participant

That is the sadest thing I have heard all day. At least chicken can be prepared so many different ways! 

April 

miaka618
                                                Participant

That is the sadest thing I have heard all day. At least chicken can be prepared so many different ways! 

April 

youngann
                                                  Participant

Even sadder than you think, April. This time, I'll be recovering from only eating chciken, just in time to eat turkey!!

youngann
                                                    Participant

Even sadder than you think, April. This time, I'll be recovering from only eating chciken, just in time to eat turkey!!

youngann
                                                      Participant

miaka618
                                                        Participant

April 

youngann
                                                          Participant

Ann

miaka618
                                                          Participant

miaka618
                                                            Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics