The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My TAFINLAR (braf) + MEK dosage story

Forums General Melanoma Community My TAFINLAR (braf) + MEK dosage story

Participant

I am sharing my experience of reduced dosage and then every other day reduced dosage in the hope that it helps others.

A brief history. Melanoma found around 20 years ago through mole on back. Excised. No treatment. 2011 another mole was melanoma. Lung nodules. VAT lung surgery. IL2. Numerous small lung nodules grew extremely slowly and all under 1 mm through 2013. September 2013 2 small brain mets (.2 & .3). Gamma November 2013 worked on those two. January 2014 two more small mets. Gamma February 2014 due to growth of those.

Started TAFINLAR + MEKINIST February 2014 to combat brain and lungs (which since November had grown where now 2 were >1 mm.

For the first 50 days I needed 4 breaks due to shakes and loss of appetite. At that point daily Tafinlar dose was lowered from 300 to 200. By day 75 still having side effects so changed to every other day. Now almost 6 months in still getting results on a reduced, every other day dose.

April brain scan shows significant resolution or non visible mets.

May chest scan shows mets reduced 70%. Dose reduced and then changed to every other day.

July brain shows continued resolution.

August chest shows further 15% reduction.

My message is that not every person must follow the norm. I had a difficult time accepting from my doctor that this was a reasonable dose. I was scared that the low amount of medicine would not work. Turns out she was right.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        imnxcguy
        Participant

Congrats on your improvement. I'm also on the Tafinlar + Mekinist program. Started at 300mg originally in January 2015 for Tafinlar, 2 mg daily. Reduced down to 225/1.5 daily after a few months because of high fevers, etc. Now, I'm on a regular schedule of fevers every two weeks (10 days good, 4-5 days bad), where I have to cycle off the medication for 2-3 days, essentially twice a month.

I'm curious as to whether going to an every other day regimen would be advantageous to me, and keep me from losing out on life for almost a third of every month. Is the every other day medicine still working for you?

Mark

imnxcguy
          Participant

Congrats on your improvement. I'm also on the Tafinlar + Mekinist program. Started at 300mg originally in January 2015 for Tafinlar, 2 mg daily. Reduced down to 225/1.5 daily after a few months because of high fevers, etc. Now, I'm on a regular schedule of fevers every two weeks (10 days good, 4-5 days bad), where I have to cycle off the medication for 2-3 days, essentially twice a month.

I'm curious as to whether going to an every other day regimen would be advantageous to me, and keep me from losing out on life for almost a third of every month. Is the every other day medicine still working for you?

Mark

imnxcguy
            Participant

Mark

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics