The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My son is on PD-1 – his eyes are reddish

Forums General Melanoma Community My son is on PD-1 – his eyes are reddish

Participant

Hi all,

My son, 7 Y.O is on PD-1 (every 3 weeks 2mg/kg of MK-3475 / Keytruda). He received the 3rd dose this week.

He is complaning about his left eye and his eyes are red for a while.

The tumor is in his left side of the neck (close but not near the eye)

Any thoughts? I think that it is related to the PD-1.

Many thanks,

mom

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        kylez
        Participant

Sounds like something to definitely to contact his doctor about. What is it that he's feeling? Do the eyes feel irritated, or do they hurt? If his red (irritated?) eyes are related to PD-1, hopefully his doc should have some ideas on how to give some relief.

When I get my PD-1 infusions, towards the end of the bag I start to get a runny nose and sneezing and random parts my throat get sore. It clears up about 15-30 minutes after the infusion. Is that a kind of histamine reaction? They say if it gets worse they'll add some benadryl to the infusion but it's nowhere near that point. So it seems like it's not out of the realm of possibilities that some type of reaction (histamine or otherwise?) might be precipitated by Keytruda. Whether benadryl is helpful, has no effect or would be detrimental in his case, I couldn't say. 

– Kyle
            Maureen038
            Participant

Hi Mom:),

I'm a mom too and I just wanted to send you some hugs and tell you how sorry I am that you are dealing with this disease with your child. Kyle gave you great advice and I hope your son's red eyes are better. 

Maureen

mom123
              Participant

thank you for the support

hugs back and hopfully good news to all of us

Mom

Maureen038
                Participant

I'm keeping you and your son in my prayers! Please keep us updated and post questions anytime. There are many people on the board that truly care.

Maureen

Maureen038
                  Participant

I'm keeping you and your son in my prayers! Please keep us updated and post questions anytime. There are many people on the board that truly care.

Maureen

Maureen038
                    Participant

Maureen

mom123
                      Participant

Mom

mom123
                        Participant

Mom

Maureen038
                          Participant

I'm a mom too and I just wanted to send you some hugs and tell you how sorry I am that you are dealing with this disease with your child. Kyle gave you great advice and I hope your son's red eyes are better. 

Maureen

Maureen038
                            Participant

Maureen

kylez
                            Participant

Sounds like something to definitely to contact his doctor about. What is it that he's feeling? Do the eyes feel irritated, or do they hurt? If his red (irritated?) eyes are related to PD-1, hopefully his doc should have some ideas on how to give some relief.

When I get my PD-1 infusions, towards the end of the bag I start to get a runny nose and sneezing and random parts my throat get sore. It clears up about 15-30 minutes after the infusion. Is that a kind of histamine reaction? They say if it gets worse they'll add some benadryl to the infusion but it's nowhere near that point. So it seems like it's not out of the realm of possibilities that some type of reaction (histamine or otherwise?) might be precipitated by Keytruda. Whether benadryl is helpful, has no effect or would be detrimental in his case, I couldn't say. 

– Kyle
                              kylez
                              Participant

– Kyle
                            Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics