The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My second opinion from a derm

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community My second opinion from a derm

Participant

I went to see a derm yesterday for a second opinion – to date my treatment has been through a skin cancer clinic run by GPs (three primary mels – stage 0, stage 1, stage 1). The derm was quite impressed – if that's the word – at meeting someone with three mels. He established that I didn't have familial mel (no family history), nor did I have dysplastic nevi syndrome or whatever that's called where you have hundreds of weird moles. He puts my mel down to early, harsh sun damage (I grew up baking under very harsh outback sun in Australia, in the days before sun safety). He had a good old look at my skin, but a bit too quickly for my liking – either he's that great that he can do it quickly, or he's not that great and did a half-ass job. He biopsied two moles on my back – shave biopsy, which I queried as I prefer full excision with 2mm margin. He assured me the shave would get the full lesion and 2mm margin as well, which to be frank I don't believe. Both moles were not regarded as suspicious by the skin cancer clinic GP, or my family GP who did another skin check a few weeks ago. One was a flattish brown mole with a tiny dark spot – biopsied because of the dark spot – the other was a smaller 'whirly' mole with blurred edges. I've had one of those biopsied before and it was moderately dysplastic so worth taking of. It was biopsied because of the smudgy blurred edges. So this is my third full skin check in two months – two GPs (or general practitioners) and one dermatologist.And I am again playing the waiting game, probably until Monday. He recommended six monthly checks for me (assuming the biopsies are not too concerning), which I would very much like. I would LOVE to have to think about mel only every 6 months (or perhaps 1 / month self skin-check) !

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        DianaD
        Participant

I hope that you get good news, Stars.  Will you return to this dermatolgist for the six month check-ups?  

DianaD
          Participant

I hope that you get good news, Stars.  Will you return to this dermatolgist for the six month check-ups?  

DianaD
            Participant

stars
                Participant

Thanks, Diana. I am undecided between derm and GP. If the derm gets it right and either of these are melanoma, I will definitely go to him again as he has spotted what others have missed. If not, I'm favouring the skin cancer clinic – it's essentially free (derm is expensive), I like the dr better (am very comfortable with her), and I like the digital dermoscopy and photography they use (derm used a kind of helmet / goggle thing, and only used a hand-held dermascope to look at a few lesions – the GP uses the digital dermoscopy for each and every lesion, and takes photos of anything dicey).

DianaD
                  Participant

What is a digital dermoscopy?  Sounds like you have a plan.  You can always continue with the skin clinic, and have the dermatologist in your back pocket for a second opinion, like you did this time. 

stars
                    Participant

Hi – digital dermoscopy is something like this:

http://www.cliderma.com.br/english/servicos/index3.aspx

The digital image shows the patterns etc within a melanoma more clearly

There are some types that use some kind of algorithm, so the computer basically 'decides' what is melanoma – that is not what my doc uses and it's apparently not the best idea as the algorithm is easily fooled.

My doc uses the naked eye, a dermoscope and a digital dermoscope.

Stars

stars
                      Participant

There are some types that use some kind of algorithm, so the computer basically 'decides' what is melanoma – that is not what my doc uses and it's apparently not the best idea as the algorithm is easily fooled.

Stars

stars
                        Participant

Stars

DianaD
                          Participant

Thank you–the information at the link is very helpful!

DianaD
                            Participant

DianaD
                              Participant

DianaD
                                Participant

What is a digital dermoscopy?  Sounds like you have a plan.  You can always continue with the skin clinic, and have the dermatologist in your back pocket for a second opinion, like you did this time. 

DianaD
                                  Participant

stars
                                    Participant

Thanks, Diana. I am undecided between derm and GP. If the derm gets it right and either of these are melanoma, I will definitely go to him again as he has spotted what others have missed. If not, I'm favouring the skin cancer clinic – it's essentially free (derm is expensive), I like the dr better (am very comfortable with her), and I like the digital dermoscopy and photography they use (derm used a kind of helmet / goggle thing, and only used a hand-held dermascope to look at a few lesions – the GP uses the digital dermoscopy for each and every lesion, and takes photos of anything dicey).

stars
                                      Participant

stars
                                      Participant

Update: got my path resuls, both biopsies were mildly dysplastic so for the first time in a long time I don't need any further excisions. So relieved!

stars
                                        Participant

Update: got my path resuls, both biopsies were mildly dysplastic so for the first time in a long time I don't need any further excisions. So relieved!

DZnDef
                                            Participant

Excellent news, Stars!  Congratulations!  What a nice break for you.  I hope the streak continues for years to come.

DZnDef
                                              Participant

Excellent news, Stars!  Congratulations!  What a nice break for you.  I hope the streak continues for years to come.

DZnDef
                                                Participant

stars
                                                Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics