The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My IL-2 story

Forums General Melanoma Community My IL-2 story

Participant

I'm telling my experience in the hope that it can help others. It took me a year and a half to get the courage/strength (mental) to write this.

In 1994, I had a mole removed from my back which was determined to be melanoma. I had a WLE but no treatment. In June 2011, I had a funny looking mole on my chest removed which was metastatic melanoma. Through VAT, I had a portion of my lung removed in July 2011.

I'm telling my experience in the hope that it can help others. It took me a year and a half to get the courage/strength (mental) to write this.

In 1994, I had a mole removed from my back which was determined to be melanoma. I had a WLE but no treatment. In June 2011, I had a funny looking mole on my chest removed which was metastatic melanoma. Through VAT, I had a portion of my lung removed in July 2011.

I began to research adjuvant clinical trials. I was considering a trial with Dr. Webber. At my first three month scan on October 20, nodules were found throughout my lungs. So much for an adjuvant trial. They were all very small, measuring less than 1 cm. Since they were not big enough for me to qualify for a clinical trial, my choices were IPI (20% 5+ year survival in latest stats), IL-2 (stats below), or Zelboraf. I chose IPI but decided to scan again in one month, because after discussions with my doctor, we wanted to make sure they were viable and really growing.

The November scan showed some minor growth and so it was time to begin. I changed my mind though. I decided to first go with IL – 2.

There were a few reasons I made this decision. (a) I was otherwise very healthy and in good shape
      (51 y/o, 5’8”, 150 lbs, running 2 miles a day). (b) The nodules were small and growing very slowly. 
      (c) There was belief among experts that one therapy might help a subsequent therapy. 
      (d) Finally, I wanted as many chances to kill this as possible. As a noted melanoma oncologist told me at the time: 
      High-dose IL-2 is still considered as a first therapy in this situation (it can eradicate disease, it doesn’t 
      burn any bridges, and appears to make subsequent immunotherapies work better).

I knew the treatment would be rough, but I also knew that I was in good hands. Dr. Janice Dutcher in New York had done more of this type of treatment than anyone else in the country. IL-2 has a 6% complete response and 10% additional partial response (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10685652). Not great odds, but again I wanted as many chances to kill this as possible.

I suffered through three week-long stays in the hospital (Monday through Friday actually). After staying home one week after each week in the hospital, I was able to go back to work. It took a while but I am back to running 2 miles a day.

The good news, for now at least, is that my nodules have been stable since then. That makes about a year and a half. So, maybe I'll get a few more months of stability, maybe a few more years, or maybe my next scan will show the stability has faded. My main reason for writing this is because I think IL-2 has a bit of a bum rap. Yes it is harsh. But for those in certain circumstances such as me, it was not an unreasonable step as a first option. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Cindy VT
        Participant

Very Happy to hear you had good results.  I hope and pray for a full recovery.

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
          Participant

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
            Participant

Cindy VT

jcmp
              Participant

Thanks for posting this.  Although there are new therapies out now, the fact of the matter is that the efficacy rate (other than Zelboraf) is pretty low.  And, when Zelboraf stops working, it really stops working usually not giving the patient the opportunity to try another therapy.

jcmp
                Participant

Thanks for posting this.  Although there are new therapies out now, the fact of the matter is that the efficacy rate (other than Zelboraf) is pretty low.  And, when Zelboraf stops working, it really stops working usually not giving the patient the opportunity to try another therapy.

jcmp
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics