The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My first follow up appointment after I was diagnosed

Forums General Melanoma Community My first follow up appointment after I was diagnosed

Participant

Hello everyone !

Today I had my first sheduled follow up appointment with Doctors in Adenbrooks hospital Cambridge .

Doctor checked my all body (but it took about 2 minutes for her ) and said all moles look fine.I am a bit suprised full body check is so quick .

I had question about pregnancy and I was told I can go ahead with what ( but I am not sure myself and very scared).

I was told 0.2mm radial growth melanoma gives me very good chanse to survive and have children:)

Doctor checked my lymthnodes as well and my Wide excision scar .

Hello everyone !

Today I had my first sheduled follow up appointment with Doctors in Adenbrooks hospital Cambridge .

Doctor checked my all body (but it took about 2 minutes for her ) and said all moles look fine.I am a bit suprised full body check is so quick .

I had question about pregnancy and I was told I can go ahead with what ( but I am not sure myself and very scared).

I was told 0.2mm radial growth melanoma gives me very good chanse to survive and have children:)

Doctor checked my lymthnodes as well and my Wide excision scar .

So far so good !!!!!!!

Natasha , 31 Years old lady from UK

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        SarahS
        Participant

Hey Natasha,

I don't post here too often anymore (NED 5 years), but I popped on the site today and saw your post.  In terms of pregnancy, here in the US dermatologists and oncologists generally suggest that you wait 2-3 years after your diagnosis before getting pregnant.  I've had 3 primaries. The first was when I was 21, and that was stage 1. At that point, pregnancy wasn't even on my radar. The second was when I was 23, stage 0, thin melanoma. I had just gotten married, but we weren't planning on starting a family yet, so waiting wasn't an issue. The last primary was when I was 25, stage 3a.  We had just decided to start trying when I found out about the diagnosis.  So instead of trying to get pregnant, I was trying to get through treatment, not fun!  I was told to wait 3 years before trying, but we actually waited about 4 years. I'm actually pregnant right now (yay), and doing well.  I'm seeing my dermatologist every 3-4 months, and my oncologist every 6 months. I do worry about the mel coming back, but I try not to think about it, and just try to stay viligant on watching my moles and staying in tune with my body.   I'm not sure if you're ready to get pregnant now, or if you're just curious, but I'd say if your doctor said go ahead and you feel ready, then go for it!  Good luck!

SarahS
          Participant

Hey Natasha,

I don't post here too often anymore (NED 5 years), but I popped on the site today and saw your post.  In terms of pregnancy, here in the US dermatologists and oncologists generally suggest that you wait 2-3 years after your diagnosis before getting pregnant.  I've had 3 primaries. The first was when I was 21, and that was stage 1. At that point, pregnancy wasn't even on my radar. The second was when I was 23, stage 0, thin melanoma. I had just gotten married, but we weren't planning on starting a family yet, so waiting wasn't an issue. The last primary was when I was 25, stage 3a.  We had just decided to start trying when I found out about the diagnosis.  So instead of trying to get pregnant, I was trying to get through treatment, not fun!  I was told to wait 3 years before trying, but we actually waited about 4 years. I'm actually pregnant right now (yay), and doing well.  I'm seeing my dermatologist every 3-4 months, and my oncologist every 6 months. I do worry about the mel coming back, but I try not to think about it, and just try to stay viligant on watching my moles and staying in tune with my body.   I'm not sure if you're ready to get pregnant now, or if you're just curious, but I'd say if your doctor said go ahead and you feel ready, then go for it!  Good luck!

SarahS
            Participant

Hey Natasha,

imissmommy2003
              Participant

I myself am only 17 years old but am very intrested in your situation. I also wish you luck .Keep us updated? Thank you. Much support, Mariah

imissmommy2003
                Participant

I myself am only 17 years old but am very intrested in your situation. I also wish you luck .Keep us updated? Thank you. Much support, Mariah

imissmommy2003
                  Participant

imissmommy2003
                    Participant

imissmommy2003
                      Participant

imissmommy2003
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics