The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My Dermatologist keeps saying “We will keep watching them”

Forums General Melanoma Community My Dermatologist keeps saying “We will keep watching them”

Participant

Hi,

I am 33 and I have a lot (30+) of moles that my dermatologist called nervi… something. Some are bigger, some are smaller.

A few of them are bigger than 6mm and a few have irregular margins. I never had one removed.

I go to a check-up every 5-6 months, and the question is always "have you noticed any change?".

Well I did not Notice… but what if I am wrong?

My dermatologist checks every one with a dermatoscope (I think it's called). 

My question:

Is he able to see the Danger / change / etc with that instrument? I worry that I was unable to notice a change in some, and… well I don't want to… you know.

Thank you.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Take photographs yourself.  If they aren't changing, they really aren't a problem.  The dermatoscope is just a lighted magnifying glass — a tool, but it doesn't diagnose.  Truthfully, you most likely will see change, and it will be an ugly duckling.  If all your moles look similar (even with size and uneven edges), then chances are they are fine.  It's good you know about melanoma and are vigilant so you WILL see anything that is really different.  (All my lesions changed, and all were obvious to me and "different" from the rest).

Janner
          Participant

Take photographs yourself.  If they aren't changing, they really aren't a problem.  The dermatoscope is just a lighted magnifying glass — a tool, but it doesn't diagnose.  Truthfully, you most likely will see change, and it will be an ugly duckling.  If all your moles look similar (even with size and uneven edges), then chances are they are fine.  It's good you know about melanoma and are vigilant so you WILL see anything that is really different.  (All my lesions changed, and all were obvious to me and "different" from the rest).

scared_roger
              Participant

Thank you for the reply Janner.  

A few further questions, for you or anyone who has time and knowledge to answer:

1). why should I not try to eliminate them one by one? Is there any danger in the procedure? I mean should one not try to eliminate the chance to find one that has changed?

2). if I do regular check-ups every 6 months, and there will be a time when my dermatologist will say: we have to get this one out. After the procedure there is no guarantee that the disease has not spread, correct? There is no time frame for melanoma evolution (say we did not see anything wrong 6 months ago, but now after the biopsy we found out that it's stage xxx and so on)

3). Except being carefull about the sun (I try to get 5-10 mins of sun daily – T-shirt & no sun block), alimentation (healty food / no chips) & weekly / monthly self – inspections, Is there anything else I can do to minimise the chance that malenoma(or other types of skin cancer) defeats my imune system? Or any other types of medical inspections I should look into, since the Dermatoscope is not a diagonose tool?

4). Where / what should I read in order to be able to sleep/work again, because after I started reading this forum my brain has gone berserk and I can't leave this damn nightmare thoughts loop.

Thank you! 

Janner
                Participant

Wholesale mole removal has not been shown to decrease  your cancer risk.  50% of melanomas arise from new lesions.  Most types of melanoma are slow growing.  Yearly visits are typically recommended for someone without a family history and who doesn't have DNS (you don't because 30 moles doesn't meet that criteria).   So doing 6 month visits is more than is recommended at this time.  You know enough that honestly I'd expect you to find a melanoma yourself, not your doc.  You will notice obvious change.

Sun safety and regular derm visits are all we can recommend for minimizing your chances.  I'd really recommend you try to leave this forum.  You know enough, now move on.  I recommend this to many newly diagnosed as well because letting melanoma  and everyone's story here consume you does not promote healthy living.  You haven't even been diagnosed.  You may never be diagnosed.  You are doing the important things and you are aware.  That's great!  Now go!  Don't come back here.  Your mental health is important too and you need to see that that is a more important immediate problem than some possible future melanoma.  While melanoma rates are increasing, it still is a relatively rare cancer in terms of numbers.  Do yourself a favor and move on….

Janner
                  Participant

Wholesale mole removal has not been shown to decrease  your cancer risk.  50% of melanomas arise from new lesions.  Most types of melanoma are slow growing.  Yearly visits are typically recommended for someone without a family history and who doesn't have DNS (you don't because 30 moles doesn't meet that criteria).   So doing 6 month visits is more than is recommended at this time.  You know enough that honestly I'd expect you to find a melanoma yourself, not your doc.  You will notice obvious change.

Sun safety and regular derm visits are all we can recommend for minimizing your chances.  I'd really recommend you try to leave this forum.  You know enough, now move on.  I recommend this to many newly diagnosed as well because letting melanoma  and everyone's story here consume you does not promote healthy living.  You haven't even been diagnosed.  You may never be diagnosed.  You are doing the important things and you are aware.  That's great!  Now go!  Don't come back here.  Your mental health is important too and you need to see that that is a more important immediate problem than some possible future melanoma.  While melanoma rates are increasing, it still is a relatively rare cancer in terms of numbers.  Do yourself a favor and move on….

Janner
                    Participant

scared_roger
                      Participant

A few further questions, for you or anyone who has time and knowledge to answer:

1). why should I not try to eliminate them one by one? Is there any danger in the procedure? I mean should one not try to eliminate the chance to find one that has changed?

2). if I do regular check-ups every 6 months, and there will be a time when my dermatologist will say: we have to get this one out. After the procedure there is no guarantee that the disease has not spread, correct? There is no time frame for melanoma evolution (say we did not see anything wrong 6 months ago, but now after the biopsy we found out that it's stage xxx and so on)

3). Except being carefull about the sun (I try to get 5-10 mins of sun daily – T-shirt & no sun block), alimentation (healty food / no chips) & weekly / monthly self – inspections, Is there anything else I can do to minimise the chance that malenoma(or other types of skin cancer) defeats my imune system? Or any other types of medical inspections I should look into, since the Dermatoscope is not a diagonose tool?

4). Where / what should I read in order to be able to sleep/work again, because after I started reading this forum my brain has gone berserk and I can't leave this damn nightmare thoughts loop.

Thank you! 

scared_roger
                        Participant

Thank you! 

Janner
                        Participant

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

Go with what Janner tells you.  If you get paranoid Melanoma wins, even if you NEVER get it.  Be VIGILANT, not paranoid.  HAve someone take pictures from a set distancd and even iinclude a ruler (preferablly in milimeters) so that size change cn be told better.  Look for color changes.  If you want to get something removed, let it be something that either you see a change in or that starts causing   lot of itchng.  Otherwise enjoy life!

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

Go with what Janner tells you.  If you get paranoid Melanoma wins, even if you NEVER get it.  Be VIGILANT, not paranoid.  HAve someone take pictures from a set distancd and even iinclude a ruler (preferablly in milimeters) so that size change cn be told better.  Look for color changes.  If you want to get something removed, let it be something that either you see a change in or that starts causing   lot of itchng.  Otherwise enjoy life!

JerryfromFauq
                              Participant

brittanyx
                                Participant
                                  Mine looked like a pimple/wart. Didn’t change color and it stayed the same size once I noticed it. I let it go because I thought it was nothing. I wish I could go back. If you see one or a couple that you have your concerns about, take action. It’s always better to stay on the safe side!
                                  brittanyx
                                  Participant
                                    Mine looked like a pimple/wart. Didn’t change color and it stayed the same size once I noticed it. I let it go because I thought it was nothing. I wish I could go back. If you see one or a couple that you have your concerns about, take action. It’s always better to stay on the safe side!
                                    brittanyx
                                    Participant
                                        scared_roger
                                        Participant

I do regular checks every 5-6 months. 

My main concern is:

– can the dermatologist spot malenoma? I don't want to find out too late "oh, well… you had it for 10 years and you said it did not change… and we did not know it was malenoma. now it has spread to x y z. sorry".

Also thank you everyone for the input!

scared_roger
                                          Participant

My main concern is:

– can the dermatologist spot malenoma? I don't want to find out too late "oh, well… you had it for 10 years and you said it did not change… and we did not know it was malenoma. now it has spread to x y z. sorry".

brittanyx
                                            Participant
                                              The only way to be 100% sure is to get a biopsy done. No one wants to guess or assume anything you know? Ultimately it is your choice and how you feel.
                                              brittanyx
                                              Participant
                                                The only way to be 100% sure is to get a biopsy done. No one wants to guess or assume anything you know? Ultimately it is your choice and how you feel.
                                                scared_roger
                                                Participant

I understand brittany. It is indeed unfortunate.  

The thing is I live in a place called Romania(far far away… in space and time).

I have a lot of dysplastic nervi few 'normal' moles. Now (2014) I know that having so many dysplastic nervi… it's bad.

Education (in this domain) reached me too late. I'm sorry, but that's that. We will see what the future holds! (hopefully it's full of Win!)

Have a great day!

scared_roger
                                                  Participant

I have a lot of dysplastic nervi few 'normal' moles. Now (2014) I know that having so many dysplastic nervi… it's bad.

Education (in this domain) reached me too late. I'm sorry, but that's that. We will see what the future holds! (hopefully it's full of Win!)

Have a great day!

scared_roger
                                                    Participant

Have a great day!

brittanyx
                                                      Participant
                                                        scared_roger
                                                        Participant

My main concern is:

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics