The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My dad is an IPI responder!!!…. we think :)

Forums General Melanoma Community My dad is an IPI responder!!!…. we think :)

Participant

As some of you may know, my father has stage IV Melanoma. His first treatment at Arizona Cancer Center was Avastine and Abraxane and he started that some time in February. It was clearing up most of the cancer cells in his lungs and spine but the cancer in his liver was still growing so they pulled him from that. He started his 1st dose of IPI about 5 weeks ago and started having diarrhea 2 weeks ago. They did not give him his second dose of IPI and instead proceeded with a colonoscopy and found he had colitis.

As some of you may know, my father has stage IV Melanoma. His first treatment at Arizona Cancer Center was Avastine and Abraxane and he started that some time in February. It was clearing up most of the cancer cells in his lungs and spine but the cancer in his liver was still growing so they pulled him from that. He started his 1st dose of IPI about 5 weeks ago and started having diarrhea 2 weeks ago. They did not give him his second dose of IPI and instead proceeded with a colonoscopy and found he had colitis. His doctor deemed this as a successful response to IPI and that he was 1 of 2% of people who responded so quickly to the drug!! I was surprised he was so quick to say it was successful without a scan to follow, however he is the doctor and not me ๐Ÿ™‚ Nevertheless, we are VERY excited with this news, however we are trying to be cautiously optimistic. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anybody else had a quick response to IPI?? YAY for IPI!!!

Deidre Grief (Father Stage IV)

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Vermont_Donna
        Participant

Hi,

I am stage 3a and had Ipi starting 12/1/2010….my first sign of response was a whitening of some skin patches visible to my doctor with a black light…along my face, neck and chest.This was after the first dose. After the second dose I had a melanoma start to flake off and over the course of a week or so it crusted over and flaked off. The remainders of my 50 plus tumors reabsorbed, at a rapid rate, so that my scans two weeks after my 4 dose showed inflammation and a clinical exam revealed retreating melanoma tumors (cutaneous and sub q's). I did have increased fatigue and nausea. I also had a non itchy rash for a month around dose three. 12 week PET/CT scans after my PET/CT scans 2 weeks after my fourth dose showed complete response to Ipi. I'd say thats darn fast!!

Good luck to your dad!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

deirgey
            Participant

Thats great Donna!!!  Congrats to you ๐Ÿ™‚

deirgey
              Participant

Thats great Donna!!!  Congrats to you ๐Ÿ™‚

Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Hi,

I am stage 3a and had Ipi starting 12/1/2010….my first sign of response was a whitening of some skin patches visible to my doctor with a black light…along my face, neck and chest.This was after the first dose. After the second dose I had a melanoma start to flake off and over the course of a week or so it crusted over and flaked off. The remainders of my 50 plus tumors reabsorbed, at a rapid rate, so that my scans two weeks after my 4 dose showed inflammation and a clinical exam revealed retreating melanoma tumors (cutaneous and sub q's). I did have increased fatigue and nausea. I also had a non itchy rash for a month around dose three. 12 week PET/CT scans after my PET/CT scans 2 weeks after my fourth dose showed complete response to Ipi. I'd say thats darn fast!!

Good luck to your dad!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

nicoli
                Participant

Avastine and Abraxane  ? I don't think I have heard of these. Some kind of chemo?

Nicki, Stage 3b

deirgey
                    Participant

Nicki, my parents know more about the drugs but yes 1 of the drugs is chemo.  I noticed 1 other person on this board take that combo and they were also from Arizona Cancer Center.  It did the trick for most of the cancer in his body actually eliminating the cancer from his lungs but it didn't help the liver. 

Deidre

deirgey
                      Participant

Nicki, my parents know more about the drugs but yes 1 of the drugs is chemo.  I noticed 1 other person on this board take that combo and they were also from Arizona Cancer Center.  It did the trick for most of the cancer in his body actually eliminating the cancer from his lungs but it didn't help the liver. 

Deidre

nicoli
                      Participant

Avastine and Abraxane  ? I don't think I have heard of these. Some kind of chemo?

Nicki, Stage 3b

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics