The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

my beloved AbbeyDog 1997-2011

Forums General Melanoma Community my beloved AbbeyDog 1997-2011

Participant

We lost our precious girl in the night.  I had her to another new vet on Monday  for the third opinion on what may be making her slow and weak.  He also thought it was arthritis.

We lost our precious girl in the night.  I had her to another new vet on Monday  for the third opinion on what may be making her slow and weak.  He also thought it was arthritis.

At 3 o'clock this morning, she was very slow to walk after waking us up.  We took her to the emergency clinic, but by then her gums were almost white and they didn't think she had a pulse.  The doc hooked her to some machines and helped her breathe but I don't think she was with us anymore.  He drew blood from her abdomen and said that he thought it could be something related to the splenic mass she had removed one year ago this week.  Her eyes fluttered when they let us in and I told her how glad I was that she was my dog.  She didn't even have enough pulse to send the euthanasia drugs into her system.

They disconnected her from the machines and let me hold her for a little while.

My heart is sure to break at any moment.

Please send some good thoughts to my Sweet Girl.  I am sure all dogz go to Heaven.

k.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Thoughts are with you.  I dread the day when I deal with the same thing.

Janner
          Participant

Thoughts are with you.  I dread the day when I deal with the same thing.

Gale
            Participant

Godspeed sweet Abbey. Being a beagle owner myself, my heart breaks for you.

Gale
              Participant

Godspeed sweet Abbey. Being a beagle owner myself, my heart breaks for you.

LV
                Participant

Aw, that is so sad. I'm so sorry – it's such a tough thing. May all the other Good Dogs welcome her with much tail-wagging and butt-sniffing.

LV
                  Participant

Aw, that is so sad. I'm so sorry – it's such a tough thing. May all the other Good Dogs welcome her with much tail-wagging and butt-sniffing.

lhaley
                    Participant

I am so sorry but Abbey knew she was loved.  We had to put our Maggie down about 3 years ago and I still miss her, she was 16.  I'm also sue that all dogs go to Heaven.

Linda

lhaley
                      Participant

I am so sorry but Abbey knew she was loved.  We had to put our Maggie down about 3 years ago and I still miss her, she was 16.  I'm also sue that all dogs go to Heaven.

Linda

King
                        Participant

Kim,

I am so very sorry to read this.  I'm sure you've heard all about the Rainbow Bridge.  That's the only thing that helps me even a little bit when I lose one of my furry friends.

And I know today was the scheduled move day. Awww…….

She is at peace.  It's the ones she has left behind that are suffering.

Good thoughts going to you, Brian and your other little beagle dog.

Stay Strong
                          Kathie

King
                          Participant

Kim,

I am so very sorry to read this.  I'm sure you've heard all about the Rainbow Bridge.  That's the only thing that helps me even a little bit when I lose one of my furry friends.

And I know today was the scheduled move day. Awww…….

She is at peace.  It's the ones she has left behind that are suffering.

Good thoughts going to you, Brian and your other little beagle dog.

Stay Strong
                            Kathie

dian in spokane
                            Participant

I am so sorry Kim!

dian in spokane
                              Participant

I am so sorry Kim!

LizzM
                                Participant

All dogs DO go to heaven. So very sorry for  your loss. It's hard to lose our best friend. 🙁

LizzM
                                  Participant

All dogs DO go to heaven. So very sorry for  your loss. It's hard to lose our best friend. 🙁

Kimmer
                                    Participant

Thank you so much, Everyone…  Kindness abounds in so many ways that my heart, though saddened, leaps in joy at the thought of how truly good people are.

I love you all!

k.

Bonnie Lea
                                        Participant

Oh Kim…

I just now went on the site, and saw the news about Abbey.  Like annon. says  ALL ANIMALS do go to heaven.  I bet when my time comes I will be greeted by one and all (and some dear people too)

I am so very sorry.  No words to describe.  But you have us here.  Please always remember her with Joy!  we always do. 

Love Bonnie

Bonnie Lea
                                          Participant

Oh Kim…

I just now went on the site, and saw the news about Abbey.  Like annon. says  ALL ANIMALS do go to heaven.  I bet when my time comes I will be greeted by one and all (and some dear people too)

I am so very sorry.  No words to describe.  But you have us here.  Please always remember her with Joy!  we always do. 

Love Bonnie

Kimmer
                                          Participant

Thank you so much, Everyone…  Kindness abounds in so many ways that my heart, though saddened, leaps in joy at the thought of how truly good people are.

I love you all!

k.

jag
                                            Participant

Kim, I'm sorry to hear about Abbey Dog, she was lucky to have you as an owner.

Here is a poem that always rings true to me when I think of my old dog Trout.

It is written by Baxter Black: large animal veterinarian and cowboy poet.

Just a Dog

You were just a dog. But a good dog. Right from the start. Your loyalty was never in question. And what you didn't know, you didn't know because I never took the time to teach you.

When you were young I was harder on you. I expected you to understand the basics…and you learned them. A "bad dog" was like a whip on your back.

But when uncontrollable instinct got you in trouble, I didn't hold it against you. I doctored you up, changed your bed and remembered that reason gets left behind in the heat of passion. Be it skunks, gyps or cloven hooves.

You were patient with the young, pups or kids. They pulled your hair, barked around you in circles and rode on your back. I never had to worry. They were safe with you.

You suffered the indignities of veterinary examinations, injections, probings and overnight incarcerations, refusing always to lift you leg under anyone's roof.

You posed for pictures, rode on loads like an acrobat and endured spring clippings yet never lost your dignity.

A fierce guardian of your territory, you did your best to protect us. I knew better than to shout you down at two in the morning. I always figured you were barking for a purpose.

Old age was not unkind to you. Despite the hearing loss, cataracts and stiff joints, you carried on. Sure, I had to help you in the pickup, but you were part of the crew. I noticed you ate less, slept later and turned gray but you never lost your enthusiasm for being part of our outfit.

People debate if dogs have a heaven. I'm not sure that matters. What is heaven to a dog? Enough to eat, something to chase, shade in the summer, someone to scratch your ears and pay you a little attention now and then.

All I know is you added to our life. Companion, listener, guardian and connection to a part of nature we tend to overlook because we're too busy worrying about the minutiae of life.

You reminded us to appreciate a sunny day, a bone to chew and a kind word. You'll be missed around here.

You were just a dog. But you'll be in my heaven. Rest in peace, old friend.

jag
                                              Participant

Kim, I'm sorry to hear about Abbey Dog, she was lucky to have you as an owner.

Here is a poem that always rings true to me when I think of my old dog Trout.

It is written by Baxter Black: large animal veterinarian and cowboy poet.

Just a Dog

You were just a dog. But a good dog. Right from the start. Your loyalty was never in question. And what you didn't know, you didn't know because I never took the time to teach you.

When you were young I was harder on you. I expected you to understand the basics…and you learned them. A "bad dog" was like a whip on your back.

But when uncontrollable instinct got you in trouble, I didn't hold it against you. I doctored you up, changed your bed and remembered that reason gets left behind in the heat of passion. Be it skunks, gyps or cloven hooves.

You were patient with the young, pups or kids. They pulled your hair, barked around you in circles and rode on your back. I never had to worry. They were safe with you.

You suffered the indignities of veterinary examinations, injections, probings and overnight incarcerations, refusing always to lift you leg under anyone's roof.

You posed for pictures, rode on loads like an acrobat and endured spring clippings yet never lost your dignity.

A fierce guardian of your territory, you did your best to protect us. I knew better than to shout you down at two in the morning. I always figured you were barking for a purpose.

Old age was not unkind to you. Despite the hearing loss, cataracts and stiff joints, you carried on. Sure, I had to help you in the pickup, but you were part of the crew. I noticed you ate less, slept later and turned gray but you never lost your enthusiasm for being part of our outfit.

People debate if dogs have a heaven. I'm not sure that matters. What is heaven to a dog? Enough to eat, something to chase, shade in the summer, someone to scratch your ears and pay you a little attention now and then.

All I know is you added to our life. Companion, listener, guardian and connection to a part of nature we tend to overlook because we're too busy worrying about the minutiae of life.

You reminded us to appreciate a sunny day, a bone to chew and a kind word. You'll be missed around here.

You were just a dog. But you'll be in my heaven. Rest in peace, old friend.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics