The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My baby’s mole on her knee

Forums General Melanoma Community My baby’s mole on her knee

Participant

My 8 month old got a mole on her knee at about 5 months old.. it's the only one she has but I don't know if I'm being paranoid or not because it scares me.. I was diagnosed with a stage 1a when she was 2 months old.. a mole on the backside of my left arm.. pet scan clear.. long story.. could someone look at this mole on my profile pic and let me know if it's suspicious.. it almost looks like a freckle but it's a tiny bit raised.. thanks Traci 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        jpg
        Participant

Melanoma is very rare in children. If you are truly concerned have a dermatologist look at it.  But some babies are born with moles or get them as they grow up.

jpg
          Participant

Melanoma is very rare in children. If you are truly concerned have a dermatologist look at it.  But some babies are born with moles or get them as they grow up.

jpg
            Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                Participant

Thank you.. so you happen to know how rare? I'm having trouble finding stats online.. I called my derm waiting on a call back

Aubreesmommy41
                  Participant

Thank you.. so you happen to know how rare? I'm having trouble finding stats online.. I called my derm waiting on a call back

Aubreesmommy41
                    Participant

Janner
                    Participant

Most people on here who've dealt with pediatric melanoma do NOT have a family history of it.  And pediatric melanoma often is amelanotic (colorless).  Watch it.  If it grows WITH your baby symmetrically, then it typically isn't a worry.  If it grows asymetrically or faster than your baby grows, it's more concerning.  Congenital nevi aren't uncommon.  Never hurts to get things checked out for peace of mind but I wouldn't stress too much at this point.

Aubreesmommy41
                        Participant

Thank you janner for replying.. can I safely assume my stage 1 diagnosis right after having her is not the cause of this mole on her knee? I can take her to my derm.. but I know that regardless of what they think when they see it they will biopsy and cut on her and she's still in the middle of getting all her shots and it's traumatic for both of us.. I'm afraid my own paranoia is fueling my fear of this mole.. I've been terrified for myself since April and not for me but to be here to raise her.. then she gets a mole! Of all things.. janner you said if it grows asymmetrical it's bad? I'm not sure what I'm looking for when I look at it.. does it look like a normal mole to you?  And is it normal for a baby to get a mole? I'd so appreciate your thoughts right now.. 

laulamb
                          Participant

My daughter, who is 7, was born with a mole on her knee.  After I was diagnosed with Stage 3a this spring I took her to the dermatologist with me and they said the mole is normal … it has grown over the years but only because she has grown.  I would have a dermatologist look at it to ease your mind.  It helped to ease my mind.  

Laura

laulamb
                            Participant

My daughter, who is 7, was born with a mole on her knee.  After I was diagnosed with Stage 3a this spring I took her to the dermatologist with me and they said the mole is normal … it has grown over the years but only because she has grown.  I would have a dermatologist look at it to ease your mind.  It helped to ease my mind.  

Laura

laulamb
                              Participant

Laura

Aubreesmommy41
                                Participant

Thank you Laura that is very encouraging.. I read your profile and wow you are very brave.. I hope things are good for you today

Aubreesmommy41
                                  Participant

Thank you Laura that is very encouraging.. I read your profile and wow you are very brave.. I hope things are good for you today

Aubreesmommy41
                                    Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                                      Participant

Thank you janner for replying.. can I safely assume my stage 1 diagnosis right after having her is not the cause of this mole on her knee? I can take her to my derm.. but I know that regardless of what they think when they see it they will biopsy and cut on her and she's still in the middle of getting all her shots and it's traumatic for both of us.. I'm afraid my own paranoia is fueling my fear of this mole.. I've been terrified for myself since April and not for me but to be here to raise her.. then she gets a mole! Of all things.. janner you said if it grows asymmetrical it's bad? I'm not sure what I'm looking for when I look at it.. does it look like a normal mole to you?  And is it normal for a baby to get a mole? I'd so appreciate your thoughts right now.. 

Aubreesmommy41
                                        Participant

Janner
                                        Participant

Most people on here who've dealt with pediatric melanoma do NOT have a family history of it.  And pediatric melanoma often is amelanotic (colorless).  Watch it.  If it grows WITH your baby symmetrically, then it typically isn't a worry.  If it grows asymetrically or faster than your baby grows, it's more concerning.  Congenital nevi aren't uncommon.  Never hurts to get things checked out for peace of mind but I wouldn't stress too much at this point.

Janner
                                          Participant

keepthefaith11
                                            Participant
                                              My 8 year old boy has had a mole on his buttock since he was a baby. It has grown but you can tell it’s because he has grown. It is round, light brown,waxy,a bit raised,and symmetrical. Showed it to my sister-in-law who is a dermatologist and she said it was completely normal.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                              Participant
                                                My 8 year old boy has had a mole on his buttock since he was a baby. It has grown but you can tell it’s because he has grown. It is round, light brown,waxy,a bit raised,and symmetrical. Showed it to my sister-in-law who is a dermatologist and she said it was completely normal.

Annie

Aubreesmommy41
                                                  Participant

Thank you Annie for your response.. forgive me but I can't tell if Aubree's is symmetrical or not.. can someone help me tell by looking at it? 

Aubreesmommy41
                                                    Participant

Thank you Annie for your response.. forgive me but I can't tell if Aubree's is symmetrical or not.. can someone help me tell by looking at it? 

Brenda – MRF
                                                      Participant

Hi,

My name is Brenda Busby and I am the Pediatric melanoma program coordinator for the Melanoma Research Foundation.

I would love to speak to you about your daughter when you have time.

Pediatric melanoma is very rare, but does exist and the number of diagnosed cases is on the rise.  Most pediatric cases do not fall into the adult melanoma ABCDE guidelines and therefore are more difficult to diagnose. For example, most pediatric cases have perfectly even borders and are pretty much symetrical. They often apprear wart like. Not all cases are like this, but most.  They are usually red, pink or flesh colored. Sometimes they bleed, or become ulcerated.

I always tell parents to have anything they feel uneasy or concerned about checked out by a dermatologist. Routine skin checks should be part of your daughters regular yearly check up, but if something new, or different pops up or if you see visible changes to shape, size, or color of your daughters mole, then definetly have that checked.

You can check out the pediatric section on our website for additional information on pediatric melanoma.

Below is my contact information. Please feel free to email me any more questions and we can set up a time to talk.

Thank you,

Brenda Busby

[email protected]

202-999-4377

Brenda – MRF
                                                        Participant

Hi,

My name is Brenda Busby and I am the Pediatric melanoma program coordinator for the Melanoma Research Foundation.

Pediatric melanoma is very rare, but does exist and the number of diagnosed cases is on the rise.  Most pediatric cases do not fall into the adult melanoma ABCDE guidelines and therefore are more difficult to diagnose. For example, most pediatric cases have perfectly even borders and are pretty much symetrical. They often apprear wart like. Not all cases are like this, but most.  They are usually red, pink or flesh colored. Sometimes they bleed, or become ulcerated.

I always tell parents to have anything they feel uneasy or concerned about checked out by a dermatologist. Routine skin checks should be part of your daughters regular yearly check up, but if something new, or different pops up or if you see visible changes to shape, size, or color of your daughters mole, then definetly have that checked.

You can check out the pediatric section on our website for additional information on pediatric melanoma.

Below is my contact information. Please feel free to email me any more questions and we can set up a time to talk.

Thank you,

Brenda Busby

[email protected]

202-999-4377

Brenda – MRF
                                                          Participant

Hi,

Thank you,

Brenda Busby

[email protected]

202-999-4377

Aubreesmommy41
                                                            Participant

keepthefaith11
                                                            Participant

Annie

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics