The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My 11 year old daughter w/ high suspicion melanoma of eyelid..

Forums Pediatric & AYA Melanoma Community My 11 year old daughter w/ high suspicion melanoma of eyelid..

Participant
      I am hoping to find someone who has had a similar situation. My precious 11 year old little girl has been seen by 2 dermatologists (one was for second opinion) for a small black irregular bordered lesion onher lower left eyelid-where one would apply eyeliner. Due to past photo’s we know that the lesion came up in the last 28 days. The first Dermatologist terrified us all because she had the whole dermatologist office come in and “look” at the lesion.

I am hoping to find someone who has had a similar situation. My precious 11 year old little girl has been seen by 2 dermatologists (one was for second opinion) for a small black irregular bordered lesion onher lower left eyelid-where one would apply eyeliner. Due to past photo’s we know that the lesion came up in the last 28 days. The first Dermatologist terrified us all because she had the whole dermatologist office come in and “look” at the lesion. She (as well as the rest of her colleages) informed us that this lesion looked very suspicious for melanoma and it needed to be fully exised ASAP. Second pediatric dermatologist said the exact same thing. She is scheduled to have it removed this Wednesday. I would like to insert a picture but I can’t get it to work. Any others have any similar situations?
      Susan

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carol Taylor
        Participant

Susan,

I'm not, but I can provide a way for you to show your picture if you think it will be helpful.

You probably can't do it if you aren't on Facebook. If you are on FB, go to the melanoma prayer center link after my name and upload it to the wall. Then come back on here and let us know it's there. Folks will not have to be on FB to then click on the link to see your pic.

If you aren't on FB, email it to me and I'll put it up.

[email protected]

Prayers for your daughter!

Lord, in Your mercy, we're praying that this child not have melanoma, but that if it is You open doors for her treatment. Thank You and hold this family. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

S o o z y Q
            Participant
              I just sent a close up of her eye, thank you for posting the pic for me. I am on Facebook but couldn’t figure out how to post it. Thank you fir your precious prayer πŸ™‚ we have been doing that slot in the past days πŸ™‚
              S o o z y Q
              Participant
                I just sent a close up of her eye, thank you for posting the pic for me. I am on Facebook but couldn’t figure out how to post it. Thank you fir your precious prayer πŸ™‚ we have been doing that slot in the past days πŸ™‚
              Carol Taylor
              Participant

Susan,

I'm not, but I can provide a way for you to show your picture if you think it will be helpful.

You probably can't do it if you aren't on Facebook. If you are on FB, go to the melanoma prayer center link after my name and upload it to the wall. Then come back on here and let us know it's there. Folks will not have to be on FB to then click on the link to see your pic.

If you aren't on FB, email it to me and I'll put it up.

[email protected]

Prayers for your daughter!

Lord, in Your mercy, we're praying that this child not have melanoma, but that if it is You open doors for her treatment. Thank You and hold this family. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                Participant

The picture of her daughter's eyelid is up. Click on the Melanoma Prayer Center link after my name and you'll be able to see it whether you're on FB or not.

Mom, I sure am glad you sent the message that you sent a picture because your pic went to my spam box!

Hope this helps.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                  Participant

The picture of her daughter's eyelid is up. Click on the Melanoma Prayer Center link after my name and you'll be able to see it whether you're on FB or not.

Mom, I sure am glad you sent the message that you sent a picture because your pic went to my spam box!

Hope this helps.

Grace and peace,

Carol

MichaelFL
                    Participant

I looked at and blew up the picture as much as I could, but I am not a doctor, so as anyone here would tell you, only a biopsy will tell for certain.

I also had to do a little reading on this as I have never come across it here before.

I found that although melanoma of the eyelid is quite rare, (less than one percent) it does have a higher chance of occurring in the lower eyelid than in the other areas such as the medial (inner) canthus; eyebrow; upper eyelid; and lateral (outer) canthus. And even though I did not come across anything in relation to children and eyelid melanoma, it has to be even more uncommon???? With mel though, one can never say never.

After reading further, it is my understanding that ninety five percent of upper/lower eyelid tumors are basal cell carcinomas or squamous cell carcinomas. Of these two, over 90% of all cancerous eyelid tumors are basal cell carcinomas (BCCA), and usually appears as small, firm, raised lumps with a lesion in the center. The lower eyelids are involved in over 70% of cases, followed by the corner of the eye, upper eyelid and the side corner of the eye.

And squamous cell usually occurs on the lower lid, so, if one is to have cancer, I would rather have one of these two rather than melanoma.

You may also wish to ask if a wedge biopsy can be performed, as if it is not melanoma, less tissue will need to be removed.

On the off chance it is melanoma, and depending on the depth, you may at some point in the future wish to discuss MOHS surgery as well. MOHS can be discussed if it is either Basal or squamous as well.

Hoping this is anything but melanoma. But, hoping mostly this is merely a benign mole.

Keep the board posted.

Michael

S o o z y Q
                        Participant
                          Thank you for the info. I have read some on the MOHS technique, but I don’t fully understand how it’s different from repeat removal until you have clean margins?? I have also read that eyelid melanoma is rare, and rarer in my daughter age. This has given us some comfort. My aunt is battling melanoma as we speak, which is dishartening. In all my searching I have yet to find a single photo that resembles her lesion. We had spent several weeks in the Arizona sun at the waterpark before this popped up. I am a strict Mom when it cones to sun screen, but unfortunately you can’t put it on your eyes πŸ™
                          S o o z y Q
                          Participant
                            Thank You πŸ™‚
                            S o o z y Q
                            Participant
                              Thank You πŸ™‚
                              S o o z y Q
                              Participant
                                Thank you for the info. I have read some on the MOHS technique, but I don’t fully understand how it’s different from repeat removal until you have clean margins?? I have also read that eyelid melanoma is rare, and rarer in my daughter age. This has given us some comfort. My aunt is battling melanoma as we speak, which is dishartening. In all my searching I have yet to find a single photo that resembles her lesion. We had spent several weeks in the Arizona sun at the waterpark before this popped up. I am a strict Mom when it cones to sun screen, but unfortunately you can’t put it on your eyes πŸ™
                              MichaelFL
                              Participant

I looked at and blew up the picture as much as I could, but I am not a doctor, so as anyone here would tell you, only a biopsy will tell for certain.

I also had to do a little reading on this as I have never come across it here before.

I found that although melanoma of the eyelid is quite rare, (less than one percent) it does have a higher chance of occurring in the lower eyelid than in the other areas such as the medial (inner) canthus; eyebrow; upper eyelid; and lateral (outer) canthus. And even though I did not come across anything in relation to children and eyelid melanoma, it has to be even more uncommon???? With mel though, one can never say never.

After reading further, it is my understanding that ninety five percent of upper/lower eyelid tumors are basal cell carcinomas or squamous cell carcinomas. Of these two, over 90% of all cancerous eyelid tumors are basal cell carcinomas (BCCA), and usually appears as small, firm, raised lumps with a lesion in the center. The lower eyelids are involved in over 70% of cases, followed by the corner of the eye, upper eyelid and the side corner of the eye.

And squamous cell usually occurs on the lower lid, so, if one is to have cancer, I would rather have one of these two rather than melanoma.

You may also wish to ask if a wedge biopsy can be performed, as if it is not melanoma, less tissue will need to be removed.

On the off chance it is melanoma, and depending on the depth, you may at some point in the future wish to discuss MOHS surgery as well. MOHS can be discussed if it is either Basal or squamous as well.

Hoping this is anything but melanoma. But, hoping mostly this is merely a benign mole.

Keep the board posted.

Michael

ValerieD
                                Participant

I too am praying for your lttile girl!  Please keep us posted.

ValerieD
                                  Participant

I too am praying for your lttile girl!  Please keep us posted.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics