The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Music Music Music

Forums General Melanoma Community Music Music Music

Participant

Are there any other musicians in the house? Sometimes I wish I could convince everyone with cancer to pick up a musical instrument.

The thing about it is, it's HARD when you start..but it becomes something…. beyond . I mean, it doesn't matter that it's sometimes still hard. Easy is not always good. But MUSIC is! It's full of endorphins and magic.

God I love my life.

Are there any other musicians in the house? Sometimes I wish I could convince everyone with cancer to pick up a musical instrument.

The thing about it is, it's HARD when you start..but it becomes something…. beyond . I mean, it doesn't matter that it's sometimes still hard. Easy is not always good. But MUSIC is! It's full of endorphins and magic.

God I love my life.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Kimmer
        Participant

Bravo Dian!

I do have a banjo and would love to learn to actually play it.  I was taking lessons 7 years ago when a certain melanoma beastie decided to take away a biggo piece of my left middle finger.  I think playing a little helped me get back the use of my hand.  Then I had the recurrence a little bit up on 'dorsum' of it and lost hand function again. 

It is way better now and I think you have inspired me to try to play again. (I mean I can safely pick up crystal and turn door knobs.)  Hubs says that I should start with the guitar.  What do you think?  I mainly wanna play old Irish tunes.

Loving life is what it's all about.

Take good care, K.

Bonnie Lea
            Participant

I wanna be a ballet dancer….NOT….  the stage woiuld fall through.  Until they invent a simipler instrument than a recorder, I am lost.  My slightly dystlexic brain cannot do either guitar, piano, of recorder.  so I can clap along in a off beat way.

dian in spokane
              Participant

hmmm…just the other night we were talking about people who clap along in an offbeat way….

Bonnie…didn't you tell me that you are a leon redbone fan? He is coming to my town..next month I think. I haven't seen him in years.

dian in spokane
                Participant

hmmm…just the other night we were talking about people who clap along in an offbeat way….

Bonnie…didn't you tell me that you are a leon redbone fan? He is coming to my town..next month I think. I haven't seen him in years.

Bonnie Lea
                  Participant

no I am however a Bob Dylan fan, and Kingston Trio, and P & and Mary (rip) singers of that era.  DH doesnt dance, never did, I have known him since we were 15 and 17 and nope.  shuffles his feet in one spot for the all important "slow dance" but never danced.

Music and rhythm left me ages ago,  BUT I do sing out loud in Church when I dont get my merds wixed up

Bonnie Lea
                    Participant

no I am however a Bob Dylan fan, and Kingston Trio, and P & and Mary (rip) singers of that era.  DH doesnt dance, never did, I have known him since we were 15 and 17 and nope.  shuffles his feet in one spot for the all important "slow dance" but never danced.

Music and rhythm left me ages ago,  BUT I do sing out loud in Church when I dont get my merds wixed up

Bonnie Lea
                      Participant

I wanna be a ballet dancer….NOT….  the stage woiuld fall through.  Until they invent a simipler instrument than a recorder, I am lost.  My slightly dystlexic brain cannot do either guitar, piano, of recorder.  so I can clap along in a off beat way.

dian in spokane
                        Participant

well.. the banjo in irish music is mostly the Tenor Banjo, played with a plectrum. (a single flat pick) So it's a very particular animal.

Sometimes the banjo is easier than the guitar (in my opinion) but if don't have a tenor banjo, if that's not what you were learning before, then go to the guitar for your old Irish tunes.

many many people have overcome finger injuries and amputations to go on and play instruments. But sometimes instruments themselves create their own problems, related to repetitive motion.

just what do you mean by 'old irish tunes'? Most of the old Irish tunes I know are played on the fiddle, with guitar and banjo more as back up instruments

dian in spokane
                          Participant

well.. the banjo in irish music is mostly the Tenor Banjo, played with a plectrum. (a single flat pick) So it's a very particular animal.

Sometimes the banjo is easier than the guitar (in my opinion) but if don't have a tenor banjo, if that's not what you were learning before, then go to the guitar for your old Irish tunes.

many many people have overcome finger injuries and amputations to go on and play instruments. But sometimes instruments themselves create their own problems, related to repetitive motion.

just what do you mean by 'old irish tunes'? Most of the old Irish tunes I know are played on the fiddle, with guitar and banjo more as back up instruments

Kimmer
                            Participant

Hey Dian,

I didn't even know about the one pick thing…I love Makem and Clancey or Tommy Makem alone or the Clancey Brothers.  Now I that think of it, some of Tommy Makem's stuff isn't very old at all in the scheme of things.

This is kind of music I am thinking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfI9rJ0toWA

Take good care, K.

(hope the link works)

dian in spokane
                              Participant

no..tommy makem's stuff is not that old, but is that GOOD!

I actually sing a tommy makem song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429PaSejZCE though I got it from Steve Goodman, before I knew it was sa Makem song

I can't really tell on the one you posted what kind of banjo is being played, it almost sounds though, like he's playing a regular 5 string with finger picks (just to make a liar out of me) there's also some other instrument, like a mandola or a bohran being played in that set.

If it's singin' you want girl, play the guitar.

Kimmer
                                Participant

Righto, Dian!

Ah, The Dutchman's not the kind of man

Who keeps his tumb jammed in the dam

That holds his dreams in….

I coud listen to that song a thousand times. I would love to hear you sing it. Do y'all have a CD?

Hubs and I used to listen to the Makem and Clancey Concert from 1977 ( I think) when we would take long road trips….we would sing and laugh and laugh.  Something from the concert once inspired us to spend like an entire weekend researching the British royal family tree, from King William on.

'Up the long ladder and down the short rope, to Hell with King Billy and God bless the Pope.  It that doesn't do, we'll cut him in two and send him to Hell with his red, white and blue.'

Always love a history lesson.

Many thanks for the advice..I have to agree that a love of music takes away many of the stressed of life.

Take good care, K.

dian in spokane
                                  Participant

Kim,

Yes, we have a CD, but that song's not on it, and, in fact, I don't even sing that song with my band.

My band plays traditional American string band music, mostly southern appalchian, though there's a bigger variety on the CD.

It's derived, for the most part, from Irish fiddle tunes, but any changes happened when they came to America. There are no jigs, for instance, in American Fiddle tunes, but plenty of reels. The CD is mostly instrumental, though there are a couple of vocal numbers.

You can hear some of it at my website! http://www.DeadFiddlersSociety.Com Listen through to the second number. It's a traditional waltz with Irish roots, which I wrote words for.

You can even BUY my CD if you are so moved, at: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/DeadFiddlersSociety1 or on Amazon.

I will sing you the Dutchmen should we meet again. I remember when I was learning it, we were staying at a gret little house at Canon Beach, and there was this balconey where I could sit and watch the sun set on the ocean. I would sing it every day. It's such a powerful song, sometimes I still cry when I sing it.

If you don't have a guitar…just take that banjo out and start dinking around with it! Those lessons will come back to you.

dian

Nancylee
                                    Participant

Our Dian is extrememly COLORFUL even though she wont kiss me and is amazingly talented. I really didnt think I would like her music ( CD)  and LOVED it and the tempo.

Getting back to that comment that anyone can play music and you think it carried you; I have to argue that. It wasnt the music that carried you through cancer and your life. It was you doing something you loved. Thats the key I think. Find something YOU LOVE to do and do it.

If I had any musical talent at all, I would be playing the piano and singing  ray charles or yanni stuff.

Or banjo with leon Redbone and champagne charlie..

I ;love to eat.

dian in spokane
                                      Participant

well.. we have that in common. I love to eat too.

I'm sure there are plenty of great restaurants in Chicago. Do you think we could get Dencolt to come out and eat with us?

dian in spokane
                                        Participant

well.. we have that in common. I love to eat too.

I'm sure there are plenty of great restaurants in Chicago. Do you think we could get Dencolt to come out and eat with us?

Nancylee
                                          Participant

Our Dian is extrememly COLORFUL even though she wont kiss me and is amazingly talented. I really didnt think I would like her music ( CD)  and LOVED it and the tempo.

Getting back to that comment that anyone can play music and you think it carried you; I have to argue that. It wasnt the music that carried you through cancer and your life. It was you doing something you loved. Thats the key I think. Find something YOU LOVE to do and do it.

If I had any musical talent at all, I would be playing the piano and singing  ray charles or yanni stuff.

Or banjo with leon Redbone and champagne charlie..

I ;love to eat.

dian in spokane
                                            Participant

Kim,

Yes, we have a CD, but that song's not on it, and, in fact, I don't even sing that song with my band.

My band plays traditional American string band music, mostly southern appalchian, though there's a bigger variety on the CD.

It's derived, for the most part, from Irish fiddle tunes, but any changes happened when they came to America. There are no jigs, for instance, in American Fiddle tunes, but plenty of reels. The CD is mostly instrumental, though there are a couple of vocal numbers.

You can hear some of it at my website! http://www.DeadFiddlersSociety.Com Listen through to the second number. It's a traditional waltz with Irish roots, which I wrote words for.

You can even BUY my CD if you are so moved, at: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/DeadFiddlersSociety1 or on Amazon.

I will sing you the Dutchmen should we meet again. I remember when I was learning it, we were staying at a gret little house at Canon Beach, and there was this balconey where I could sit and watch the sun set on the ocean. I would sing it every day. It's such a powerful song, sometimes I still cry when I sing it.

If you don't have a guitar…just take that banjo out and start dinking around with it! Those lessons will come back to you.

dian

Kimmer
                                              Participant

Righto, Dian!

Ah, The Dutchman's not the kind of man

Who keeps his tumb jammed in the dam

That holds his dreams in….

I coud listen to that song a thousand times. I would love to hear you sing it. Do y'all have a CD?

Hubs and I used to listen to the Makem and Clancey Concert from 1977 ( I think) when we would take long road trips….we would sing and laugh and laugh.  Something from the concert once inspired us to spend like an entire weekend researching the British royal family tree, from King William on.

'Up the long ladder and down the short rope, to Hell with King Billy and God bless the Pope.  It that doesn't do, we'll cut him in two and send him to Hell with his red, white and blue.'

Always love a history lesson.

Many thanks for the advice..I have to agree that a love of music takes away many of the stressed of life.

Take good care, K.

dian in spokane
                                                Participant

no..tommy makem's stuff is not that old, but is that GOOD!

I actually sing a tommy makem song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429PaSejZCE though I got it from Steve Goodman, before I knew it was sa Makem song

I can't really tell on the one you posted what kind of banjo is being played, it almost sounds though, like he's playing a regular 5 string with finger picks (just to make a liar out of me) there's also some other instrument, like a mandola or a bohran being played in that set.

If it's singin' you want girl, play the guitar.

Kimmer
                                                  Participant

Hey Dian,

I didn't even know about the one pick thing…I love Makem and Clancey or Tommy Makem alone or the Clancey Brothers.  Now I that think of it, some of Tommy Makem's stuff isn't very old at all in the scheme of things.

This is kind of music I am thinking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfI9rJ0toWA

Take good care, K.

(hope the link works)

Kimmer
                                                  Participant

Bravo Dian!

I do have a banjo and would love to learn to actually play it.  I was taking lessons 7 years ago when a certain melanoma beastie decided to take away a biggo piece of my left middle finger.  I think playing a little helped me get back the use of my hand.  Then I had the recurrence a little bit up on 'dorsum' of it and lost hand function again. 

It is way better now and I think you have inspired me to try to play again. (I mean I can safely pick up crystal and turn door knobs.)  Hubs says that I should start with the guitar.  What do you think?  I mainly wanna play old Irish tunes.

Loving life is what it's all about.

Take good care, K.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics