The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

mucosal melanoma wild type mutation

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community mucosal melanoma wild type mutation

Participant

Can anyone answer this for me. I know that mucosal melanoma is rare. How rare is the BRAF wild type mutation?

Thanks.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

"Wild Type" means normal – no mutation.  So wild type BRAF will not respond to any of the BRAF related drugs.  Last I heard, BRAF mutations occur in somewhere around 50% of melanomas so wild type is probably the other 50%.

Phil S
            Participant

Mucosal melanoma will not have the BRAF mutation, it may have the CKit mutation, so get tested!  My husband has mucosal melanoma and has neither Braf or CKit mutations.  So, he is considered wild type!    Valerie (Phil's wife)

Phil S
              Participant

Mucosal melanoma will not have the BRAF mutation, it may have the CKit mutation, so get tested!  My husband has mucosal melanoma and has neither Braf or CKit mutations.  So, he is considered wild type!    Valerie (Phil's wife)

Phil S
                Participant

mary1233
                  Participant

All cancers have mutations – wild type is mutations that have not been identified.

mary1233
                    Participant

All cancers have mutations – wild type is mutations that have not been identified.

mary1233
                      Participant

Janner
                      Participant

"Wild Type" means normal – no mutation.  So wild type BRAF will not respond to any of the BRAF related drugs.  Last I heard, BRAF mutations occur in somewhere around 50% of melanomas so wild type is probably the other 50%.

Janner
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics