The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mucosal Melanoma survivors ? ?

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Mucosal Melanoma survivors ? ?

Participant
      Anyone here know or is a Mucosal melanoma survivor ? I am wondering have the stats really changed for mucosal melanoma patients as well ? or they are still the same ? My mom was diagnosed with vaginal mucosal melanoma oct 2018 and is now on her second dose of ipi/nivo with only fatigue and headache as a side effect , nothing major as compared to other folks here who had success. So I am afraid if the combo is working for her. Good luck to all of us fighting this day in day out.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          The search bubble on my blog is your friend. Here are lots of studies: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=mucosal+melanoma

Mucosal melanoma is a tougher row to hoe than cutaneous, and unfortunately, melanoma peeps with ocular, mucosal, or cns disease were often denied access to trials in the recent past. However, that is gradually changing and the ipi/nivo combo DOES provide responses. You have reason for hope.

There are mucosal patients on this forum, however they are less common than cutaneous peeps as would be expected given the numbers over all.

Hope that helps. celeste

sks2019
            Participant
              Thanks Bubbles for always spreading hope ! I guess there arent many folks around that have experience with Mucosal. 🙁
              MelMel
              Participant
                Don’t look at it that way because there are many, like myself who never found their primary. Basically, at this point it makes little difference where the primary existed since treatment plan is the same for stage IV melanoma of either the skin or mucosal type. Apparently, mucosal melanoma patients are missing the BRAF mutation.
                Melanie
              Becky
              Participant
                My son was diagnosed with mucosal ( oral, tongue) melanoma stage 3 just before his 21 st birthday in 2009…he is now 31 and NED for almost 10 years
                  sks2019
                  Participant
                    Thanks Becky , Hope he continues to do well .
              Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics