The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MPIP anti-spam update

Forums General Melanoma Community MPIP anti-spam update

Keymaster

Hi everyone,

In recent weeks we implemented significant updates to the software that monitors for spam posts on the MPIP forum. You may have noticed some of these changes on the user registration and sign in page, while others took place behind the scenes on the back end of the website. Part of the update was the addition of a new, very powerful spam filter that will continue to improve with time. With the new filter in place you may, for a short period, notice a delay in when new posts appear as the software "learns" and refines itself. We will continue to monitor this process to minimize any disruption and smooth the transition to the improved system. We thank you for your patience and your feeback is always welcome as we work to ensure the best and most helpful experience possible.

Thanks,

Adam – MRF

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        jamieth29
        Participant
          Hi Adam,
          I replied to a couple posts a few days ago and they never made it, do we need to reply again or will they eventually appear?
          jamieth29
          Participant
            Hi Adam,
            I replied to a couple posts a few days ago and they never made it, do we need to reply again or will they eventually appear?
            jamieth29
            Participant
              Hi Adam,
              Cynthia C
              Participant

Please can you give hints on how to respond to a post? I want to reply to Birdlo with a great positive story but twice I have tried and been blocked as spam. I know you are trying to sort this out but just let me know why it is considered spam. I use no links, no bad words, and proper punctuation.

Thank you!

Cynthia

Adam-MRF
                  Keymaster

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for your question. I am looking into this now and have asked our team members who work with the spam software for their assistance as well. We hope to have the new processes refined as soon as possible to eliminate this issue in the future. Thank you for your contributions to this community!

Sincerely,
                    Adam – MRF

Adam-MRF
                    Keymaster

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for your question. I am looking into this now and have asked our team members who work with the spam software for their assistance as well. We hope to have the new processes refined as soon as possible to eliminate this issue in the future. Thank you for your contributions to this community!

Sincerely,
                      Adam – MRF

Adam-MRF
                      Keymaster

Hi Cynthia,

Sincerely,
                        Adam – MRF

Cynthia C
                      Participant

Please can you give hints on how to respond to a post? I want to reply to Birdlo with a great positive story but twice I have tried and been blocked as spam. I know you are trying to sort this out but just let me know why it is considered spam. I use no links, no bad words, and proper punctuation.

Thank you!

Cynthia

Cynthia C
                        Participant

Thank you!

Cynthia

Patina
                          Participant

Hi Adam,

Let me preface this by saying that everyone appreciates that you are trying to ensure that the site does not have spam and that the Message Board is something we all value.

Here is some honest feedback posted CA time 9:20pm 10/16/2015:

Adding a new CAPTCHA was a good start but it would have been easier if you had made some of the "older" trusted users Moderators and allowed us to manage spam and fake users  or just made new users comments and threads moderated for a short period of time rather than make the other changes that affect everyone.

The changes made in adding moderation with the new "very powerful spam filter" (which I have significant doubts about and I know about this stuff) has only delayed getting information to people 24 hours + if ever, caused people to think their posts were "lost" and likely given new users the idea that no one really responds.  

From a users prospective this is a massive fail for something that should have been a easy fix for a message board that many people rely on for information support

Please reconsider the changes that you have made and those that I've proposed.

Thanks!

PS

Try using a Honeypot to block spam and changing this CAPTCHA program. The photos I had to use to get a previous message "approved" asked me to ID photos of ice cream.  I had to choose cupcakes (very clearly cupcakes) and ice cream to verify my message. Kinda defeats the purpose if the CAPTCHA program is buggy. 

Patina
                            Participant

Hi Adam,

Let me preface this by saying that everyone appreciates that you are trying to ensure that the site does not have spam and that the Message Board is something we all value.

Adding a new CAPTCHA was a good start but it would have been easier if you had made some of the "older" trusted users Moderators and allowed us to manage spam and fake users  or just made new users comments and threads moderated for a short period of time rather than make the other changes that affect everyone.

The changes made in adding moderation with the new "very powerful spam filter" (which I have significant doubts about and I know about this stuff) has only delayed getting information to people 24 hours + if ever, caused people to think their posts were "lost" and likely given new users the idea that no one really responds.  

From a users prospective this is a massive fail for something that should have been a easy fix for a message board that many people rely on for information support

Thanks!

PS

Try using a Honeypot to block spam and changing this CAPTCHA program. The photos I had to use to get a previous message "approved" asked me to ID photos of ice cream.  I had to choose cupcakes (very clearly cupcakes) and ice cream to verify my message. Kinda defeats the purpose if the CAPTCHA program is buggy. 

Adam-MRF
                                Keymaster

Hi Patina,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and constructive suggestions. Our goal when implementing programs like the updated CAPTCHA was to more effectively combat the increased spam activity AND minimize the effects on actual users like yourself. If this is determined not to be the best option, we will absolutely address the issue and put in place measures that better serve the MPIP community. We are working on this currently and your feedback and recommendations are greatly appreciated in this process. Thank you again. 

Sincerely,
                                  Adam – MRF

Adam-MRF
                                  Keymaster

Hi Patina,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and constructive suggestions. Our goal when implementing programs like the updated CAPTCHA was to more effectively combat the increased spam activity AND minimize the effects on actual users like yourself. If this is determined not to be the best option, we will absolutely address the issue and put in place measures that better serve the MPIP community. We are working on this currently and your feedback and recommendations are greatly appreciated in this process. Thank you again. 

Sincerely,
                                    Adam – MRF

Adam-MRF
                                    Keymaster

Hi Patina,

Sincerely,
                                      Adam – MRF

Patina
                                    Participant

Hi Adam,

Thanks!

PS

Patina
                                      Participant

Hi Adam,

Thanks!

PS

Patina
                                        Participant

Hi Adam,

Thanks!

PS

Patina
                                          Participant

Hi Adam,

Thanks!

PS

liberty04281
                                            Participant
                                              Thanks. I hope it is going to work
                                              Liberty
                                              liberty04281
                                              Participant
                                                Liberty
                                                  liberty04281
                                                  Participant
                                                    I am not happy with this new software update. We have to wait to see if our post is being published for a long time.
                                                    I know we prevent spam, but still we should not wait that long our post to be publised.
                                                    liberty04281
                                                    Participant
                                                      I am not happy with this new software update. We have to wait to see if our post is being published for a long time.
                                                      I know we prevent spam, but still we should not wait that long our post to be publised.
                                                      liberty04281
                                                      Participant
                                                      liberty04281
                                                      Participant
                                                        Liberty
                                                        casagrayson
                                                        Participant

Adam,

It would be really helpful if we knew some of the parameters that the filter uses to mark as "spam".  Are we allowed to put links here?  Pictures?  Are there words that will automatically throw us into the "spam" category?

Honestly, I think a user-moderated board would be efficient.  Surely there are enough folks who have been around long enough that would be willing to volunteer a little bit of time to moderate.  The current situation (which I hope will improve quickly) is not acceptable for a discussion board that addresses such serious topics.  People come on here looking for immediate help —  not answers that come 48+ hours later, if at all.

casagrayson
                                                          Participant

Adam,

It would be really helpful if we knew some of the parameters that the filter uses to mark as "spam".  Are we allowed to put links here?  Pictures?  Are there words that will automatically throw us into the "spam" category?

Honestly, I think a user-moderated board would be efficient.  Surely there are enough folks who have been around long enough that would be willing to volunteer a little bit of time to moderate.  The current situation (which I hope will improve quickly) is not acceptable for a discussion board that addresses such serious topics.  People come on here looking for immediate help —  not answers that come 48+ hours later, if at all.

casagrayson
                                                            Participant

Adam,

Adam-MRF
                                                              Keymaster

Good afternoon everyone,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and suggestions for improving this board. I have shared your comments with our team and am consulting with our IT team about the technical aspects of your questions and recommendations. We are working hard to improve the process of posting and commenting on MPIP, while minimizing – ideally eliminating – any inadvertent effects of implementing the new protocols. I wanted to assure you that we are working towards a solution currently and that your feedback is a valuable contribution to that process. Thank you for your dedication to this board and the melanoma community.

Sincerely,
                                                                Adam – MRF

Adam-MRF
                                                                Keymaster

Good afternoon everyone,

Thank you for sharing your feedback, questions and suggestions for improving this board. I have shared your comments with our team and am consulting with our IT team about the technical aspects of your questions and recommendations. We are working hard to improve the process of posting and commenting on MPIP, while minimizing – ideally eliminating – any inadvertent effects of implementing the new protocols. I wanted to assure you that we are working towards a solution currently and that your feedback is a valuable contribution to that process. Thank you for your dedication to this board and the melanoma community.

Sincerely,
                                                                  Adam – MRF

Patina
                                                                    Participant

Replied at 12:01 pm PST on 10/17/15.

Adam,

I forgot to mention that the CAPTCHA does not work well on mobile devices. Unless you are really paying attention to how the images respond, which most users won't do, you can't verify the images correctly and you won't be able to post.  – The secret is that you have to click the images from top to bottom left to right. If you click a image further down you can't go back and select an image above in order to get the comment or post verified and in que for moderation…. 

Basically, you need to change the CAPTCHA program. It is buggy for more than one reason, which I have mentioned previously.

Patina
                                                                      Participant

Adam,

I forgot to mention that the CAPTCHA does not work well on mobile devices. Unless you are really paying attention to how the images respond, which most users won't do, you can't verify the images correctly and you won't be able to post.  – The secret is that you have to click the images from top to bottom left to right. If you click a image further down you can't go back and select an image above in order to get the comment or post verified and in que for moderation…. 

Basically, you need to change the CAPTCHA program. It is buggy for more than one reason, which I have mentioned previously.

Patina
                                                                        Participant

Adam,

Adam-MRF
                                                                        Keymaster

Good afternoon everyone,

Sincerely,
                                                                          Adam – MRF

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics