The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Moving on to the next phase

Forums General Melanoma Community Moving on to the next phase

Participant
      Hello everyone,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted, here is a quick recap:

May 2016 DX with stage 1b on right calf
      June 2017 found a lump in right groin, biopsy shows melanoma
      July 2017 CLND to right groin all clear
      Dec. 2017 PET shows 10 “spots” on liver
      Jan. 2018 started Opdivo only due to pre-existing Colitis
      March 2018 PET shows no uptake or “spots” on liver (never showed again in 2 years of PETs)
      Dec. 2018 Hemoglobin started taking a dive
      Dec. 2018 PET shows two spots in small bowel
      Jan. 2019 Had colonoscopy, endoscopy, camera endoscopy to try and find the source of bleed and take a look at small bowel, but it is in a spot that they couldn’t see
      Feb. 2019 Had surgery to remove two spots in small bowel…yep…Melanoma
      March 2019 Restarted Opdivo
      April 2020 after a year of clear PETs Onc says its time to stop Opdivo and only see her every 2 months

So here we are. My first month without an infusion or Dr. visit in 28 months. I am thrilled not having to go to the hospital every 2 weeks (especially now with everything going on), but there is certain comfort in getting blood work and infusions every two weeks. I knew I couldn’t and didn’t want to be on Opdivo forever…28 months is long enough, but I was lucky and had no side effects and, except for the two surgeries, I didn’t miss any work due to the treatments. I’ll still have PETs every 3 months for the rest of this year, then after all is well, spread them out longer next year.

I am so thankful for these results. I’m just hoping the Opdivo has taught my body to keep this disease at bay. I am excited for this next phase of my life. I know it will always be in the back of my mind, but I am hoping the lack of Dr. visits and infusions will keep me focused on the good things.

Best wishes to all of you. Stay safe.
      Steve

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        JudiAU
        Participant
          Wonderful wonderful news.
          Rob is grateful
          Participant
            That’s fantastic news!!! I just started opdivo this week and I’m encouraged when I read great success stories like yours!! I’m happy for you and look forward to another good report
            Bubbles
            Participant
              Good for you, Steve!!! That is wonderful! Thanks for sharing! les
                Beany
                Participant
                  Well done. Very happy for you. Inspirational for us too.
                  Adam
                AnxiousDad
                Participant
                  You are an absolute bad ass. Thanks for posting. Feeling a little depressed lately.. but reading your story just made me very happy. Thanks for sharing.
                  Tsvetochka
                  Participant
                    That’s great! I think I’m right behind you, too. My timeline wasn’t so complicated, but I went from Stage 4 to NED (still waiting for confirmation about that) in almost exactly one year.
                Viewing 4 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics