The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Most of what I’m saying should not be said here,

Forums General Melanoma Community Most of what I’m saying should not be said here,

Participant

but I need to say it none the less. For quite some time now I feel I can't post to anyone on the main board without getting called on for updates on Cass. If I don't see the question, or choose to ignore it (because I honestly don't know what to say)  within a very short time a brand new thread is created to get my attention. This need for information (however well intentioned) fills up the board and bumps someone else off the page.

but I need to say it none the less. For quite some time now I feel I can't post to anyone on the main board without getting called on for updates on Cass. If I don't see the question, or choose to ignore it (because I honestly don't know what to say)  within a very short time a brand new thread is created to get my attention. This need for information (however well intentioned) fills up the board and bumps someone else off the page. Thing is, I did reply a few weeks ago to say she's had extensive surgery and has not replied to my emails.  And yes, since then, I've called her house, but I didn't speak to her directly so I can hardly give out personal information when she hasn't given me permission. (Especially when she herself has not posted here for a very long time.)  This all makes me reluctant to post on the board, and quite frankly, that pisses me off.  I'm sorry if saying this offends some well meaning individual(s)  I'm worried about her too, but I just wish people would understand I will only update the board when I can.

I probably would not have even admitted to feeling this way if I were not already so frustrated with our (long awaited) teen tanning ban being tabled to January; after four public hearings we now have to go back and make even more presentations. My fear is, this is the stall before the fall. Granted I often read too much into things, but this  http://www.theita.com/?page=State_Legislation  depresses the shit out of me;  industry fights like banshees to maintain access to youth under fourteen and here we are attempting to restrict under eighteens. The pressure on our regional mayors is immense. If anyone wants to see just how contentious things have got around here in the past, take a look at this UCSF report on the implementation of our clean air bylaws http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1747755/pdf/v012p00264.pdf   I sent it to all of our decision makers so they could see our current tanning bylaw squabbles really are a walk in the park.  The good news is we have the same determined doc leading the charge (now if only someone would write my dreaded speech.)

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        TinaR
        Participant

The thing with Cassandra reminds me of a similar situation years ago…another person who used to ask about someone constantly. This individual  put a disclaimer on her posts. Maybe you could try it .. something along the lines of this : " p.s. I do not have  updates on Cassandra- if I have information to share I wil asapl. Thanks for your concern."  Maybe ask this person to e-mail you privately to save board space.

Good Luck.

bcl
            Participant

Thank  you, those are very good suggestions.

bcl
              Participant

Thank  you, those are very good suggestions.

TinaR
              Participant

The thing with Cassandra reminds me of a similar situation years ago…another person who used to ask about someone constantly. This individual  put a disclaimer on her posts. Maybe you could try it .. something along the lines of this : " p.s. I do not have  updates on Cassandra- if I have information to share I wil asapl. Thanks for your concern."  Maybe ask this person to e-mail you privately to save board space.

Good Luck.

LV
                Participant

When I looked at the link that showed the states' legislation efforts, I was struck by the term 'died in committee.' If only we knew how many were dx'ed with mel as a result of tanning beds while this legislation lags.

bcl
                    Participant

Yes that term inflames me.  And those numbers should be fairly easy to extrapolate.. perhaps Tim and the MRF could do this for us?

I belive the FDA is looking into age restrictions, but I also found this 2010 ITA Political Action Committee Report  which might just give voters an idea who not to vote for lol

NOVEMBER MEMBER UPDATE
                      __________________________________________________ ____________________________
                      November 12, 2010

TO: ITA Membership

RE: 2010 ITA Political Action Committee Report

2010 was by far the ITA-PAC’s most active year in its 10 year history. This year more money was raised and distributed to House and Senate candidates and committees than ever before.

All contributions to candidates are approved by the ITA’s PAC committee. That committee is chaired by Marty Gallagher (Suntan Supply) and committee members are Rob Quinn (TanPro), Diane Lucas (Palm Beach Tan) and Max Recone (MR International).

The PAC plays a key role in our overall strategy to make certain no unreasonable restrictions are placed on the industry. To that end, the PAC Committee works closely with our policy advisors at Akin Gump to make sure all contributions mesh with our overall federal strategy.

The ITA PAC is bi-partisan, supporting candidates from both political parties. The primary requirements for our support are that the candidate must either represent key industry constituencies, serve on congressional committees that oversee industry specific regulatory bodies (i.e. FDA oversight, appropriations, leadership or tax writing) and/or support small business and the concept of less government involvement in our lives.

In 2010, the PAC collected $53,650 from the following ITA members: Ryan Baker, Karen Bentlage, Bart Bonn, Karen Brutsche, Dan Caskey, Marty Gallagher, Peggy Garred, Mike Gilley, Luke Golueke, Arthur Ben Gray, Eric Hall, Greg Henson, Donald Hirsch, Roger Holmes, Dan Humiston, Ed Jerger, Stacy Kaufman, Brigitte Kratz, Rick Kueber, Diane Lucas, Jan Meshon, Susan Miller, Rick Norvell, Bill Pipp, Rob Quinn, Max Recone, Brooks Reed, Matt Russell, Jim Shepherd, Michael Stepp and Eric Weber.

Starting the year with a balance of approximately $15,000, over the past 10 months, the PAC contributed $63,000 to Federal candidates as follows:
                      RecipientRelationship Amount
                      Congressman Lee Terry (R-NB)FDA Oversight$2,500
                      Congressman Geoff Davis (R-KY)Tax committee$2,500
                      Dino Laverghetta (R-NY)Tan Tax opposition$500
                      Senator Blanche Lincoln D-AR)Tax committee$10,000
                      National Republican Senatorial CommitteeParty Committee$5,000
                      Congressman Chis Lee (R-NY) Industry supporter$1,000
                      Congressman Mike Acuri (D-NY)Industry supporter$1,000
                      Congresswoman Lynn Jenkins (R-KS)Industry supporter$1,500
                      Congressman John Shimkus (R-IL) FDA Oversight$1,000
                      Natiopnal Republican Congressional CommitteeParty Committee$15,000
                      Congressman Jim McGovern (D-MA)Industry supporter$1,000
                      Jeff Denham (R-CA)Industry supporter$1,000
                      Congressman Eric Cantor (R-VA0 Republican Leadership$2,000
                      John Callahan (D-PA)Industry supporter$1,000
                      Congressman Dave Camp (R-MI) Tax committee$1,000
                      Kellly Ayotte (R-NH)Industry supporter$1,000
                      New York House Victory FundNew York Republicans$2,000
                      Congressman San Graves (R-MO)Industry supporter$1,000
                      Congresswoman Marsha Balckburn (R-TN)FDA Oversight$1,000
                      Congressman Richard Neal (D-MA)Tax committee$1,000
                      Senator Pat Roberst (R-Ks)Tax committee$1,000
                      Senator John Thune (R-SD)FDA Oversight$1,000
                      Congressman Fred Upton (R-MI)FDA Oversight$1,000
                      Congressman Mike ropss (D-AR)FDA Oversight$1,000
                      Congressman Joe Crowley (D-NYTax committee$1,000
                      Congressman Tom Latham (R-IA)FDA Oversight$1,000
                      Congressman Pat Tiberi (R-OH)Tax committee$1,000
                      Congressman Dean Heller (R-NV)Tax committee$1,000
                      Senator Orin Hatch (R-UT)Tax committee$1,000
                      Senator Mike Enzi (R-WY)FDA Oversight$1,000
                      Senator Ben Nelson (D-NB)FDA Oversight$1,000

This number does not include thousands that were raised for three industry-related events this year: approximately $50,000 raised by Dan Humiston for a National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) event in Buffalo New York; approximately $200,000 that was raised by Bart Bonn for Congressman Lee Terry and a National Republican Congressional Campaign Committee event in Omaha; and $150,000 raised for the NRSC in Nashville at an event chaired by Marty Gallagher

In total, the industry raised over $450,000 for House and Senate candidates, a remarkable number by any standard.

While a few candidates that we supported were not successful in their respective elections bids, the vast majority of our support went to successful campaigns.

The ITA and industry are deeply indebted to the men and women who chaired and contributed to all of these events.

With the close of the 2010 elections, we begin the 2012 election cycle. Our industry made great progress this year with a very small percentage of the membership and its employees participating in the PAC. Please consider making a contribution to the ITA-Political Action Committee and help elect House and Senate candidates that we can depend on

bcl
                      Participant

Yes that term inflames me.  And those numbers should be fairly easy to extrapolate.. perhaps Tim and the MRF could do this for us?

I belive the FDA is looking into age restrictions, but I also found this 2010 ITA Political Action Committee Report  which might just give voters an idea who not to vote for lol

NOVEMBER MEMBER UPDATE
                        __________________________________________________ ____________________________
                        November 12, 2010

TO: ITA Membership

RE: 2010 ITA Political Action Committee Report

2010 was by far the ITA-PAC’s most active year in its 10 year history. This year more money was raised and distributed to House and Senate candidates and committees than ever before.

All contributions to candidates are approved by the ITA’s PAC committee. That committee is chaired by Marty Gallagher (Suntan Supply) and committee members are Rob Quinn (TanPro), Diane Lucas (Palm Beach Tan) and Max Recone (MR International).

The PAC plays a key role in our overall strategy to make certain no unreasonable restrictions are placed on the industry. To that end, the PAC Committee works closely with our policy advisors at Akin Gump to make sure all contributions mesh with our overall federal strategy.

The ITA PAC is bi-partisan, supporting candidates from both political parties. The primary requirements for our support are that the candidate must either represent key industry constituencies, serve on congressional committees that oversee industry specific regulatory bodies (i.e. FDA oversight, appropriations, leadership or tax writing) and/or support small business and the concept of less government involvement in our lives.

In 2010, the PAC collected $53,650 from the following ITA members: Ryan Baker, Karen Bentlage, Bart Bonn, Karen Brutsche, Dan Caskey, Marty Gallagher, Peggy Garred, Mike Gilley, Luke Golueke, Arthur Ben Gray, Eric Hall, Greg Henson, Donald Hirsch, Roger Holmes, Dan Humiston, Ed Jerger, Stacy Kaufman, Brigitte Kratz, Rick Kueber, Diane Lucas, Jan Meshon, Susan Miller, Rick Norvell, Bill Pipp, Rob Quinn, Max Recone, Brooks Reed, Matt Russell, Jim Shepherd, Michael Stepp and Eric Weber.

Starting the year with a balance of approximately $15,000, over the past 10 months, the PAC contributed $63,000 to Federal candidates as follows:
                        RecipientRelationship Amount
                        Congressman Lee Terry (R-NB)FDA Oversight$2,500
                        Congressman Geoff Davis (R-KY)Tax committee$2,500
                        Dino Laverghetta (R-NY)Tan Tax opposition$500
                        Senator Blanche Lincoln D-AR)Tax committee$10,000
                        National Republican Senatorial CommitteeParty Committee$5,000
                        Congressman Chis Lee (R-NY) Industry supporter$1,000
                        Congressman Mike Acuri (D-NY)Industry supporter$1,000
                        Congresswoman Lynn Jenkins (R-KS)Industry supporter$1,500
                        Congressman John Shimkus (R-IL) FDA Oversight$1,000
                        Natiopnal Republican Congressional CommitteeParty Committee$15,000
                        Congressman Jim McGovern (D-MA)Industry supporter$1,000
                        Jeff Denham (R-CA)Industry supporter$1,000
                        Congressman Eric Cantor (R-VA0 Republican Leadership$2,000
                        John Callahan (D-PA)Industry supporter$1,000
                        Congressman Dave Camp (R-MI) Tax committee$1,000
                        Kellly Ayotte (R-NH)Industry supporter$1,000
                        New York House Victory FundNew York Republicans$2,000
                        Congressman San Graves (R-MO)Industry supporter$1,000
                        Congresswoman Marsha Balckburn (R-TN)FDA Oversight$1,000
                        Congressman Richard Neal (D-MA)Tax committee$1,000
                        Senator Pat Roberst (R-Ks)Tax committee$1,000
                        Senator John Thune (R-SD)FDA Oversight$1,000
                        Congressman Fred Upton (R-MI)FDA Oversight$1,000
                        Congressman Mike ropss (D-AR)FDA Oversight$1,000
                        Congressman Joe Crowley (D-NYTax committee$1,000
                        Congressman Tom Latham (R-IA)FDA Oversight$1,000
                        Congressman Pat Tiberi (R-OH)Tax committee$1,000
                        Congressman Dean Heller (R-NV)Tax committee$1,000
                        Senator Orin Hatch (R-UT)Tax committee$1,000
                        Senator Mike Enzi (R-WY)FDA Oversight$1,000
                        Senator Ben Nelson (D-NB)FDA Oversight$1,000

This number does not include thousands that were raised for three industry-related events this year: approximately $50,000 raised by Dan Humiston for a National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) event in Buffalo New York; approximately $200,000 that was raised by Bart Bonn for Congressman Lee Terry and a National Republican Congressional Campaign Committee event in Omaha; and $150,000 raised for the NRSC in Nashville at an event chaired by Marty Gallagher

In total, the industry raised over $450,000 for House and Senate candidates, a remarkable number by any standard.

While a few candidates that we supported were not successful in their respective elections bids, the vast majority of our support went to successful campaigns.

The ITA and industry are deeply indebted to the men and women who chaired and contributed to all of these events.

With the close of the 2010 elections, we begin the 2012 election cycle. Our industry made great progress this year with a very small percentage of the membership and its employees participating in the PAC. Please consider making a contribution to the ITA-Political Action Committee and help elect House and Senate candidates that we can depend on

LV
                      Participant

When I looked at the link that showed the states' legislation efforts, I was struck by the term 'died in committee.' If only we knew how many were dx'ed with mel as a result of tanning beds while this legislation lags.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics