The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

more people die from thin melanomas than thick melanomas

Forums General Melanoma Community more people die from thin melanomas than thick melanomas

• Replies
      casagrayson
      Participant

I'm not sure I think the researchers have a valid premise for the argument.  Based on the article alone, though, it does seem to validate my concern that thin lesions should be treated more aggressively. What if we are seeing more deaths from people who were originally diagnosed with a Stage 1 lesion, but were never offered an SNB?  Maybe those patients were really Stage 3 at the time of diagnosis, and had they started treatment immediately they would not have progressed to Stage 4?  I'm sure it is a risk/reward analysis. SNB has inherent risks, it is costly, etc. — but has there ever been a study done on the outcomes of SNB for Stage 1 patients?

casagrayson
        Participant

I'm not sure I think the researchers have a valid premise for the argument.  Based on the article alone, though, it does seem to validate my concern that thin lesions should be treated more aggressively. What if we are seeing more deaths from people who were originally diagnosed with a Stage 1 lesion, but were never offered an SNB?  Maybe those patients were really Stage 3 at the time of diagnosis, and had they started treatment immediately they would not have progressed to Stage 4?  I'm sure it is a risk/reward analysis. SNB has inherent risks, it is costly, etc. — but has there ever been a study done on the outcomes of SNB for Stage 1 patients?

JC
            Participant

how might they treat thin lesions more aggressively?  i've often wondered that.  would they ever offer any adjuvant treatment to those patients?

Janner
              Participant

No, they wouldn't offer adjuvant therapies to stage I individuals.  There isn't a good adjuvant therapy for stage 3 and it makes less sense to use it at stage I.

Janner
                Participant

No, they wouldn't offer adjuvant therapies to stage I individuals.  There isn't a good adjuvant therapy for stage 3 and it makes less sense to use it at stage I.

Janner
                  Participant

JC
                    Participant

how might they treat thin lesions more aggressively?  i've often wondered that.  would they ever offer any adjuvant treatment to those patients?

JC
                      Participant

Janner
                        Participant

Yes, the SNB has been studied extensively – that's why there are guidelines on its use.  They were based on clinical data.

Janner
                          Participant

Yes, the SNB has been studied extensively – that's why there are guidelines on its use.  They were based on clinical data.

Janner
                            Participant

Squash
                              Participant

More people die fron thin melanomas because a lot more people get thin ones than thick ones that doesnt mean that thin ones are more deadly just there are a heck of a lot more of them.

And SNB doesnt offer any OS benefit in any case.

There is a test which i mentioned in another thread here that has more predictive value than current staging protocols and that is a Circulating Tumour Cell test. There is plenty of research around it and it can predict  distant spread better than current staging protocols. In fact I think it is the way of the future in cancer treatment as it can be used to monitor effectiveness of current treatment and whether you need to be more aggressive or not based on high much cancer is running around the bloodstream.

There are a couple fo different CTC tests.  Cell Search i think is used in US and Maintrac in Germany and i think there may be another one as well.

Squash
                                Participant

More people die fron thin melanomas because a lot more people get thin ones than thick ones that doesnt mean that thin ones are more deadly just there are a heck of a lot more of them.

There is a test which i mentioned in another thread here that has more predictive value than current staging protocols and that is a Circulating Tumour Cell test. There is plenty of research around it and it can predict  distant spread better than current staging protocols. In fact I think it is the way of the future in cancer treatment as it can be used to monitor effectiveness of current treatment and whether you need to be more aggressive or not based on high much cancer is running around the bloodstream.

There are a couple fo different CTC tests.  Cell Search i think is used in US and Maintrac in Germany and i think there may be another one as well.

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Futher development and approval of the tests you mentioned will be a big break thru.  I als notice that there was no mention of the mitsosis srate which is another importandt factor in prognosis.

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

Futher development and approval of the tests you mentioned will be a big break thru.  I als notice that there was no mention of the mitsosis srate which is another importandt factor in prognosis.

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

Squash
                                        Participant

casagrayson
                                        Participant

CHD
                                          Participant

To me, this study reflects what many of us who have spent time on melanoma forums have seen in real life – there are always people who turn up with advanced melanoma after having been diagnosed with a thin, stage I melanoma a few years prior.

They are not saying thin melanoma does not still have an excellent prognosis, or that thin melanoma is more deadly than thicker, just that SOME thin melanoma does turn deadly, apparently the average time frame in the study being 6 years, and my impression is that the researchers are saying we need better methods of followup in place for these patients to increase early detection.  It's true that people with thin melanoma tend to be offered minimal followup.  It sounds like in general because of the excellent prognosis, this is fine, but for a small percentage this lack of closer followup can be deadly.

CHD
                                            Participant

To me, this study reflects what many of us who have spent time on melanoma forums have seen in real life – there are always people who turn up with advanced melanoma after having been diagnosed with a thin, stage I melanoma a few years prior.

They are not saying thin melanoma does not still have an excellent prognosis, or that thin melanoma is more deadly than thicker, just that SOME thin melanoma does turn deadly, apparently the average time frame in the study being 6 years, and my impression is that the researchers are saying we need better methods of followup in place for these patients to increase early detection.  It's true that people with thin melanoma tend to be offered minimal followup.  It sounds like in general because of the excellent prognosis, this is fine, but for a small percentage this lack of closer followup can be deadly.

CHD
                                              Participant

JC
                                                  Participant

and how to determine/predict who that small percentage is

JC
                                                    Participant

JC
                                                      Participant

ltalley
                                                      Participant

Articles like this is what confuses me… First this group was trying to reassure everyone  thin melanomas have an excellent prognosis.. Matter of fact, they said they were seeing people live 20 years or longer from intial diagnosis. Now they are saying there are more deaths from thin melanomas than thick ones. I think they truly don't even know.  And until they do know for a fact they need to quit putting anything out there for the people to read. "Thin melanomas have an excellent survival rate, but more people die from them." Isn't that like an oxymoron???? We don't need any more anxiety than we already have from our diagnosis. So, they need to quit guesstimating and start finding actual cures for this horrible disease. 

ltalley
                                                        Participant

Articles like this is what confuses me… First this group was trying to reassure everyone  thin melanomas have an excellent prognosis.. Matter of fact, they said they were seeing people live 20 years or longer from intial diagnosis. Now they are saying there are more deaths from thin melanomas than thick ones. I think they truly don't even know.  And until they do know for a fact they need to quit putting anything out there for the people to read. "Thin melanomas have an excellent survival rate, but more people die from them." Isn't that like an oxymoron???? We don't need any more anxiety than we already have from our diagnosis. So, they need to quit guesstimating and start finding actual cures for this horrible disease. 

ltalley
                                                          Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                            Participant

I sure cannot explain their numbers.  Maybe I'm too tired to be able to read tonight.  They appear to be a mismatch of number and definitions between countries, usage of old date even thou published Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:34pm EST and they state "An estimated 76,100 new cases will be diagnosed this year and 9,710 people will die from the disease. "  The numbers of new cases I have seen estimated for 2014 are around 100,000.

They reference other news articles, not peer reviewed journals.

"Past research has found that patients with thin lesions (less than or equal to 1 millimeter) survived, on average, for 20 years after diagnosis, while those with thicker melanomas were more likely to die years sooner." WHAT DID THEY DIE FROM??  Melanoma, car wrecks, war, old age?  ??

Then they say:

"People with thin lesions died about six years after they were diagnosed, while those with thick lesions died two years after the melanoma was detected, according to the data."

i  have sppent more time on this article than it seseerves.  It should never have been publihed.

JerryfromFauq
                                                              Participant

I sure cannot explain their numbers.  Maybe I'm too tired to be able to read tonight.  They appear to be a mismatch of number and definitions between countries, usage of old date even thou published Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:34pm EST and they state "An estimated 76,100 new cases will be diagnosed this year and 9,710 people will die from the disease. "  The numbers of new cases I have seen estimated for 2014 are around 100,000.

"Past research has found that patients with thin lesions (less than or equal to 1 millimeter) survived, on average, for 20 years after diagnosis, while those with thicker melanomas were more likely to die years sooner." WHAT DID THEY DIE FROM??  Melanoma, car wrecks, war, old age?  ??

Then they say:

"People with thin lesions died about six years after they were diagnosed, while those with thick lesions died two years after the melanoma was detected, according to the data."

i  have sppent more time on this article than it seseerves.  It should never have been publihed.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                Participant

Then they say:

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics