The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MORE good news on the diet front…

Forums General Melanoma Community MORE good news on the diet front…

Participant

Eat junk food and lose?

Eat junk food and lose? So the article says…

Losing a double-digit chunk of weight in one month was a piece of cake for Mark Haub. On August 25, the Kansas State University professor of nutrition began a 10-year-old's dream diet of Twinkies, Ho Hos, and brownies for each meal. Thirty days later and 15 pounds lighter, Haub not only feels great, but his bad cholesterol is down, his good cholesterol is up, and his blood pressure is fine. But while he is pleased about his new, trimmer self, that's not the reason he switched to junk food. He wanted his students to see for themselves that any diet can produce weight loss­—and if accomplished with a menu all but guaranteed to wreak havoc, then weight shouldn't be the sole standard for good health.

Haub's diet grew from a course he teaches on energy balance. Weight loss, he told his students, is simply about consuming fewer calories than you burn—energy in, energy out. To illustrate the point, Haub announced that he would eat exactly the kind of junk that's supposed to be off limits to someone who wants to lose weight. "If weight loss is the ultimate goal," he asked his students, "does it matter how I achieve it?"

READ MORE:

Courtesy of U.S. News & World Report

URL: http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100264421>1=31036

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Yawn
        Participant

lololol

TinaR
            Participant

Tell me you're laughing at the fuched up posting format and NOT my life's dream for easier weight loss. Really, I was just about to hop into the car for the 8 pack Devil Dog and 6 bar Good Humor….

Calories in and calories out IS the science of the matter…do you not like Devil Dogs? Is that it?

dian in spokane
              Participant

This would work much like the Brie and Champagne Diet I was writing about a couple of years ago. It IS all about calories in and calories out.

But why would doing it with Devil Dogs make it any easier? in fact, it would be more difficult! Try stacking up a thousand calories in devil dogs next to a thousand calories in fresh tomatoes, radishes, celery and onions, and you'll easily see the problem.

Plus.. lord, can you imagine eating nothing but devil dogs??

TinaR
                Participant

Yes, I can. Each Devil Dog is 180 calories. One for breakfast, lunch and dinner and two snacks. With the extra calories I can have a glass of milk.

TinaR
                  Participant

Yes, I can. Each Devil Dog is 180 calories. One for breakfast, lunch and dinner and two snacks. With the extra calories I can have a glass of milk.

dian in spokane
                    Participant

This would work much like the Brie and Champagne Diet I was writing about a couple of years ago. It IS all about calories in and calories out.

But why would doing it with Devil Dogs make it any easier? in fact, it would be more difficult! Try stacking up a thousand calories in devil dogs next to a thousand calories in fresh tomatoes, radishes, celery and onions, and you'll easily see the problem.

Plus.. lord, can you imagine eating nothing but devil dogs??

TinaR
                      Participant

Tell me you're laughing at the fuched up posting format and NOT my life's dream for easier weight loss. Really, I was just about to hop into the car for the 8 pack Devil Dog and 6 bar Good Humor….

Calories in and calories out IS the science of the matter…do you not like Devil Dogs? Is that it?

Yawn
                      Participant

lololol

Viewing 1 reply thread
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics