The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

monitoring standards of care — IIIb

Forums General Melanoma Community monitoring standards of care — IIIb

Participant

Hi all,

I read and hear different things about monitoring schedules for IIIb melanoma.  How often is the following typically done (and what does insurance support)?

– CT of trunk

– MRI of head

– PET of trunk

– sonogram of lymph nodes

– physical exam

– dermatological exam

Thanks, everyone!

SF and ET

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        KimW
        Participant

Hi there!

My husband is stage 3b with satellite intransits and he has all of the above done every three months, with the exception of the brain MRI. His PET scans are full body scans along with a CT scan. He has the head and neck ultrasounds every three months and has only had one brain MRI which was in January. (Diagnosed in November and WLE of scalp in December. He has the body checks done every time we are there seeing the doctor, following the scans. He is being treated at MDA and has Medicare with a supplemental back up. As of now, he is on "watch and wait" status which is very hard – since he's had intransits on scalp since WLE. If he had a larger lesion appear, they said he'd be a candidate for a vaccine. His spots that have appeared have been small and removed by biopsy early. I worry so much about tiny cells traveling around- it's enough to consume my thoughts every day. I do have a high respect for his doctors and trust them but I wish we could be more aggressive but they didn't recommend interferon for him because he is 66. He's always been very healthy until this diagnosis and is still feeling good so far. 

Sorry to have given way more info than you requested. :-/

kim 

KimW
          Participant

Hi there!

My husband is stage 3b with satellite intransits and he has all of the above done every three months, with the exception of the brain MRI. His PET scans are full body scans along with a CT scan. He has the head and neck ultrasounds every three months and has only had one brain MRI which was in January. (Diagnosed in November and WLE of scalp in December. He has the body checks done every time we are there seeing the doctor, following the scans. He is being treated at MDA and has Medicare with a supplemental back up. As of now, he is on "watch and wait" status which is very hard – since he's had intransits on scalp since WLE. If he had a larger lesion appear, they said he'd be a candidate for a vaccine. His spots that have appeared have been small and removed by biopsy early. I worry so much about tiny cells traveling around- it's enough to consume my thoughts every day. I do have a high respect for his doctors and trust them but I wish we could be more aggressive but they didn't recommend interferon for him because he is 66. He's always been very healthy until this diagnosis and is still feeling good so far. 

kim 

KimW
            Participant

Hi there!

kim 

mjanssentx
              Participant

SF and ET – for Stage 3A for 11 months

No CT

Full body PET scan every 3 months

MRI every 12 months (but moving this up to Monday at 11 months due to unexplained eye issues)

Dermatologist every 3 months (got 2 more moles taken off last week)

Oncologist (monthly due to being on Interferon)

So far no insurance issues.

Feel like I am being appropriately monitored.

Best wishes

Michel

mjanssentx
                Participant

No CT

MRI every 12 months (but moving this up to Monday at 11 months due to unexplained eye issues)

Best wishes

Michel

mjanssentx
                  Participant

No CT

Best wishes

Michel

Lil0909
                    Participant
                      Stage 3a… had full body pet and CT when going through diagnosis. After that, chest Xray and skin check every 3 months.
                      Lil0909
                      Participant
                        Stage 3a… had full body pet and CT when going through diagnosis. After that, chest Xray and skin check every 3 months.
                        Lil0909
                        Participant
                          Andrew1725
                          Participant

I had primary on the back, spread to nodes under my armpit. I was diagnosed a little more than a year ago. Currently, I'm doing head, trunk and pelvis CT every 6 months, brain MRI once a year, and dermatological exam every 3 months. 

Andrew1725
                            Participant

I had primary on the back, spread to nodes under my armpit. I was diagnosed a little more than a year ago. Currently, I'm doing head, trunk and pelvis CT every 6 months, brain MRI once a year, and dermatological exam every 3 months. 

Andrew1725
                              Participant

katie1
                                Participant

My husband (IIIC –T4N2cM0) is participating in the Ipi vs. Interferon trial.  He had CTs (neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis) PET (full body), bone scan and head MRI at diagnosis.  The trial requires CTs (neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis) every 3 months for the first 2 years and every 6 months until 5 years and then yearly.  His oncologist has modified this to every 3 months for the first 3 years (he is 2 1/2 years post diagnosis) because he feels for my husband the highest risk of recurrence will be in the first 3 years.  His oncologist  also recommends yearly head MRI (will do more frequently if symptomatic) .  My husband received Ipi and developed hypophositis and so has had many more head MRIs as a result. He had appointments very frequently while undergoing treatment and having side effects but now sees his oncologist every three months for physical exam and to review CTs (and blood work).

He saw his dermotologist every 3 months for the first 2 years and is now every 4 months (staggered with his oncology appointments).

Kate

katie1
                                  Participant

My husband (IIIC –T4N2cM0) is participating in the Ipi vs. Interferon trial.  He had CTs (neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis) PET (full body), bone scan and head MRI at diagnosis.  The trial requires CTs (neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis) every 3 months for the first 2 years and every 6 months until 5 years and then yearly.  His oncologist has modified this to every 3 months for the first 3 years (he is 2 1/2 years post diagnosis) because he feels for my husband the highest risk of recurrence will be in the first 3 years.  His oncologist  also recommends yearly head MRI (will do more frequently if symptomatic) .  My husband received Ipi and developed hypophositis and so has had many more head MRIs as a result. He had appointments very frequently while undergoing treatment and having side effects but now sees his oncologist every three months for physical exam and to review CTs (and blood work).

He saw his dermotologist every 3 months for the first 2 years and is now every 4 months (staggered with his oncology appointments).

Kate

katie1
                                    Participant

Kate

jenny22
                                      Participant

Hi-

I started at 1B, then moved to IIIB due to instransit SUBQs…..

Completed vaccine trial in Mid may.

Treated at NYU, with Anna Pavlick

Current follow-up is:

See oncologist every three months for bloodwork and quick checkup.

CT scans of Neck, Chest, Abdomen and pelvis every 6 months…..

Brain MRI- once a year, alternate with ct of head on the off 6 months

Derm – i see 2 different DERMS,  one every 2 months….(this is probably overkill, but will continue this until i am more comfortable moving further apart)

Hoping for the best with no changes ahead!

Best to everyone.

jenny22
                                        Participant

Hi-

Current follow-up is:

Derm – i see 2 different DERMS,  one every 2 months….(this is probably overkill, but will continue this until i am more comfortable moving further apart)

Best to everyone.

KimW
                                            Participant

Hi jenny22!

if you don't mind me asking, where was your primary and curious to know about your intransits since my husband has been getting them. The oncologist mentioned a vaccine but said he needed a larger lesion in order to do it. He keeps getting them on his scalp but they are removed by biopsies when they're small. He started getting them a month after his WLE and SNB. 

Thank you!

kim

KimW
                                              Participant

Hi jenny22!

if you don't mind me asking, where was your primary and curious to know about your intransits since my husband has been getting them. The oncologist mentioned a vaccine but said he needed a larger lesion in order to do it. He keeps getting them on his scalp but they are removed by biopsies when they're small. He started getting them a month after his WLE and SNB. 

Thank you!

kim

jenny22
                                                Participant

Kim-

They were two TINY pea size bumps near my WLE, not in the scar but very near….all of which was on my neck.  Only one recurrence so far, and of course hoping for no more…maybe the vaccine did what it was supposed to do ….

Obviously that is what i am hoping for!

jenny22
                                                  Participant

Kim-

They were two TINY pea size bumps near my WLE, not in the scar but very near….all of which was on my neck.  Only one recurrence so far, and of course hoping for no more…maybe the vaccine did what it was supposed to do ….

jenny22
                                                    Participant

Kim-

KimW
                                                      Participant

Hi jenny22!

Thank you!

kim

jenny22
                                                      Participant

Hi-

Current follow-up is:

Best to everyone.

ET-SF
                                                        Participant

I appreciate your sharing your monitoring schedules with us, everyone!  We will be discussing the refinement of ET's monitoring schedule at our next appointment in about a week.  We'll especially re-visit the PET scan discussion we've had previously.  We were discouraged from having a PET scan for murky and mysterious reasons.  However, we now see that other people get them on a regular basis, and our insurance will pay for this practice.

FAIW, our oncologist said that a CT is much better at locating metastatic lesions because of its higher resolution.  And I can see how that would be in an organ like the liver.  However, if there were a small metastatic lesion in the pancreas or the intestines, I honestly don't know how anyone would see it.  Between the tiny gas pockets (black) and the barium sulfate (white), parts of the scan are a confusing mess.  Perhaps radiologists are THAT good (and I don't question that they would see things I would miss), but I still question their ability to find a small tumor in the intestines.  "A needle in a haystack" doesn't even begin to describe it.  A PET would yield an entirely different perspective.

Thanks again for sharing, everyone!  ๐Ÿ™‚

ET-SF
                                                          Participant

I appreciate your sharing your monitoring schedules with us, everyone!  We will be discussing the refinement of ET's monitoring schedule at our next appointment in about a week.  We'll especially re-visit the PET scan discussion we've had previously.  We were discouraged from having a PET scan for murky and mysterious reasons.  However, we now see that other people get them on a regular basis, and our insurance will pay for this practice.

FAIW, our oncologist said that a CT is much better at locating metastatic lesions because of its higher resolution.  And I can see how that would be in an organ like the liver.  However, if there were a small metastatic lesion in the pancreas or the intestines, I honestly don't know how anyone would see it.  Between the tiny gas pockets (black) and the barium sulfate (white), parts of the scan are a confusing mess.  Perhaps radiologists are THAT good (and I don't question that they would see things I would miss), but I still question their ability to find a small tumor in the intestines.  "A needle in a haystack" doesn't even begin to describe it.  A PET would yield an entirely different perspective.

ET-SF
                                                            Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics