The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Moms Scans

Forums General Melanoma Community Moms Scans

Participant

Hello everyone,

My mom finally got her scan results (for the most part) after a long weekend. Since the nurse called us at home I don't have all of the details other than they said swelling has gone down. There is no swelling in her lymph nodes (I guess nothing in the lymph nodes?) and that no new activity was reported anywhere. I am assuming they mean swelling in the abdomen area related to the tumor and that the tumor has shrunk, but is still there, making her stable at the moment (I really didn't expect the almost cantelope size tumor to just vanish). 

So this was really good news! I am not entirely sure what that means for stability wise a few months from now since the nurse did not mention NED (or if she can even attain NED later?), but she is scheduled to continue Nivo once her prednisone mg is reduced (she had colitis recently ontop of the rash, but the steroid seems to be helping that).

Just wanted to thank everyone for the support along the way here. This board really has made a huge difference between life and death for my mom, especially choosing the right doctor and what we should be looking out for. Keeping all of you in my thoughts as you continue to kick melanoma butt!

Melissa

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Polymath
        Participant

Hi Melissa,

Glad to hear scan results sound like stability.  Huge tumors like your Mom's appear to be pretty rare in melanoma.  I get really large tumors, and just had my spleen removed as it was engulfed with a cantaloupe sized mass.  I don't recall exactly where your Mom's tumor is located but sharing my story, it's that drug therapy simply is no match for tumors of this size and radiation or surgery are the effective options to rid oneself of these monsters.  I was lucky, as I can live without a spleen, and Mom's case may be very different but I thought I would share.  Best in the battle.

Gary

Buddy0513
            Participant

My mom has her tumor on her ovary. We haven't heard anything about radiation or surgery to remove it, not sure if that will be talked about next week when she sees the doctor in person, or if it will just be left alone and monitored since it did apparently shrink signficantly. Thanks for the input! 

Buddy0513
              Participant

My mom has her tumor on her ovary. We haven't heard anything about radiation or surgery to remove it, not sure if that will be talked about next week when she sees the doctor in person, or if it will just be left alone and monitored since it did apparently shrink signficantly. Thanks for the input! 

Buddy0513
                Participant

Polymath
                Participant

Hi Melissa,

Glad to hear scan results sound like stability.  Huge tumors like your Mom's appear to be pretty rare in melanoma.  I get really large tumors, and just had my spleen removed as it was engulfed with a cantaloupe sized mass.  I don't recall exactly where your Mom's tumor is located but sharing my story, it's that drug therapy simply is no match for tumors of this size and radiation or surgery are the effective options to rid oneself of these monsters.  I was lucky, as I can live without a spleen, and Mom's case may be very different but I thought I would share.  Best in the battle.

Gary

Polymath
                  Participant

Hi Melissa,

Gary

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics