The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mom’s lung cancer

Forums General Melanoma Community Mom’s lung cancer

Participant

I posted a while back that they had found a mass in my mother's lung.  We have confirmation that it is adenocarinoma.  She had a PET and CT and this is the only sport that shows up on either of those tests.  She has never smoked.  They are doing surgery Fri.  I met her surgeon yesterday and he said that they will go in with the idea of doing the lobe removal via VATS, but they may have to go in the traditional way if there are any complications.  This mass is quite small.  I think between 1 and 3 cm.  He says if they can get it out and if the node

I posted a while back that they had found a mass in my mother's lung.  We have confirmation that it is adenocarinoma.  She had a PET and CT and this is the only sport that shows up on either of those tests.  She has never smoked.  They are doing surgery Fri.  I met her surgeon yesterday and he said that they will go in with the idea of doing the lobe removal via VATS, but they may have to go in the traditional way if there are any complications.  This mass is quite small.  I think between 1 and 3 cm.  He says if they can get it out and if the nodes they take come back clean she may not need any additional treatment.  They feel it is early and quite possible stage 1.  Has anyone had VATS or the traditional lobe removal?  I know that if they have to go in the "old" way that they crack a rib and the recovery is very difficult.  She is 65 and in good health but it 75 pounds over weight.  I'm extremely scared of this surgery.  They offered cyberknife as a 2nd less curative option and she really wants to go for surgery.  I want her too go for it too, but it scares the crap out of me.

Thanks for listening.

Amy S. in Michigan

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jag
        Participant
          Sounds to me like mom has a really good attitude. Either way surgery is her best chance, i went home the day after Vats surgery, 4days after a complete lung removal, it usually takes about a year before you feel recovered from any lung surgery. Don’t focus on what could go wrong, focus on what could go right.

God Bless
          John

jag
          Participant
            Sounds to me like mom has a really good attitude. Either way surgery is her best chance, i went home the day after Vats surgery, 4days after a complete lung removal, it usually takes about a year before you feel recovered from any lung surgery. Don’t focus on what could go wrong, focus on what could go right.

God Bless
            John

jag
            Participant

God Bless
              John

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics