The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Molecular Profile?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Molecular Profile?

Participant
      Quick question guys, i began the search for ClinicalTrials here on MRF under the EMERGINGMed.com section, it asked for my profile, mek, mek2, braff, cd1 hundreds damn near of these abbreviations what exactly is this? And how come i wasnt told what my melanoma profile is? Is it a test to find out what DNA structure i have? What is the official term that this is called ??? Please help!!!!!! Thanks guys
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant
          Hi Mike, when the Dr. took off your original tumor they send out the tissue to test for Braf mutation( V600E or V600k)to see if you would qualify for targeted therapy ( there are three approved combinations of Braf Mek drugs ie. Dabrafenib+ Cobementib, new approval Encorafenib(Braftovi)+ Binimetinib(Mektovi) plus another pair. Here is a link to recent targeted therapy approvals and if you go to June 2018 you will see the one for melanoma. There are other test for other mutations but it would depend on your hospital and if they are looking for something specific on clinical trial, for example the phase three Lag-3 + nivo trial tested tumor sample to see level of Lag-3 and in some other cancers like lung they test for Pd-L1+ % to qualify for pd-1 drugs like pembro. Things can get pretty confusing, might be good idea to have this conversation with your oncology team. Best Wishes!!! Ed https://www.targetedonc.com/publications/targeted-therapy-news/2019/Jan-2019/2018-fda-approvals-of-targeted-therapies
            MelanomaMike
            Participant
              Thanks Ed, i do know im NOT Braff positive, i found that out after my lung surgery last December…will see, im startin to believe Clinical Trials are my only options and thanks to MRF’s ErmergingMed trial locater, its hopeful!
              How you doin Ed? Where you at now? Ill check your profile and see assuming you updated…take care brother..
              ed williams
              Participant
                Doing good Mike, just hit the 6 year mark stage 4, so nothing to complain about. I am still on Checkmate 067 trial and doing Nivo treatments every two weeks, kind of like Bill Murray in Groundhog day, keep living the same two weeks over and over but still living so I will take it any day of the weak!!! Hope you find the best trial ever and kick your melanoma to the curb !!!Ed
              CindyJ
              Participant
                Hi Mike, my mother is in the following trial. They tested part of her tumor to find mutations, then matched them with current targeted drugs that specifically treat those mutations. Her test showed a couple of different amplifications, so we started on one, with Ibrance, and it’s working, for over two years. The new field is called Genomics. Maybe it can help you. Best Wishes! https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02693535?term=Targeted+agent+and+profiling+utilization+registry&cntry=US&rank=1
                Bubbles
                Participant
                  Testing for BRAF status, and at a some institutions – a few other mutations, has become routine for melanoma tumors. However, there are many other mutations that may reside within our tumors. We have found that such testing, especially for melanoma peeps who have failed current immunotherapy used for melanoma, has been very helpful in finding effective treatment. See this post for just one example. https://melanoma.org/legacy/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/excellent-scans-breast-cancer Looking into trials and tests to do this sort of examination of your tumors might be really helpful, Mike. Celeste
              Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics